OK so Im building my own Strat, and am I going the route of a relic'd look. Old school, road worn. Anyways, I didnt see a sticky about this so I thought I would go out there and ask: What are the differences in wood- primarily between Alder and Swamp Ash.... Those are the two most common replacement bodies I've found. I know Alder costs more so I'm assuming that its the better wood. But I would really like to know why. Thanks for lookin!
I am going to profess some ignorance here, but here is what i can tell you

Greg Howe prefers swamp ash, no idea why. Secondly the pricing of the wood could be effected by a hjost of different factors, particularly availability, and ease of getting it, if swamp ash is more comon and easier to get a hold of it will be cheaper, so it may not necessarily be a better wood.

Also they may be graded, a AAAA grade peice of Alder is going to be worth more than eiher an AAA grade of alder or swamp ash.

Hope that is of some limited assistance good luck, and post some pics as you go!
if you look in the central hub sticky, theres a ink to the guitar building wood thread
Quote by TunerAddict
BEST PAINTJOB EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is the sickest paint job in all of GB&C

Hawaiian Shirt Guy Of the Australia FTW! Club.
PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join.
Australians only.

OK, another question. On a body I was checking out, this one has a crack in the neck pocket that is quoted to "give it that aged feeling". The crack is on the bottom side running into the first pickup hole. Does that render the body useless... or like weak?
do not buy! any crack in the neck pocket is bad news. repairable, but why bother when you can buy a good body.

ash looks more appealing than alder, and they have different tones. neither is truly "better", its all preference, unless the finish will be see-through, in which case ash wins.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by aaron66
OK, another question. On a body I was checking out, this one has a crack in the neck pocket that is quoted to "give it that aged feeling". The crack is on the bottom side running into the first pickup hole. Does that render the body useless... or like weak?

No. DO not buy it. Get a good one and relic it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.