And sadly it doesn't do it for me for direct recording - firstly it's fairly noisy and Gearbox's noise gate can't cut out the noise. Most suprisingly the speaker emulated out by itself doesn't actually sound any better than my Boss MD-2 going into Pod Farm! It sounds decent but frankly nowhere near as good as I was expecting.

If I add amps into Gearbox the noise levels shoot up and I can't get anywhere near a tight distortion for riffing purposes.

I've no doubt it sounds great going into an amp but I'm afraid it doesn't cut it for me for recording - so it's going back today.

You ran a DistX through modeling software?!

I think the problem lies there. Anyhoo, sucks that it didn't work out for you. It sounds really good with amps (or so I hear from youtube clips).
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
It's got a speaker emulated out which is supposed to replicate a 4x12. That is supposed to be for direct to PC recording but didn't cut it for me.
Quote by Chargrill3d
It's got a speaker emulated out which is supposed to replicate a 4x12. That is supposed to be for direct to PC recording but didn't cut it for me.
There's no substitute for the real thing
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
You're damn right there ch0 - I was thinking of mic-ing up an HT-5 - any chance of getting a Mesa Boogie rectifier sound on the cheap doing that??
You check out the sansamp from Tech 21, I have the Liverpool, wich is modeled after an AC30, and it sounds pretty good even through my cheapo computer speakers.
Edit: The Sansamp California if modeled after a Rectifier if that's the sound you want
Last edited by Sguit at Oct 8, 2009,
Quote by Chargrill3d
You're damn right there ch0 - I was thinking of mic-ing up an HT-5 - any chance of getting a Mesa Boogie rectifier sound on the cheap doing that??

I don't think you're going to get much closer than any other nice high gain pedal into any other nice tube amp...

That said, I think there's potential for great tone out of that rig.

I've never tried bothe the Blackstar and the HT-5 together, only seperately, but I could see a good studio sound coming out of that.

Just not direct in...
Quote by Chargrill3d

If I add amps into Gearbox the noise levels shoot up and I can't get anywhere near a tight distortion for riffing purposes.

Quote by Chargrill3d

two madly different things
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Yeah I want it all!

A strange thing happened today - I bought it from a shop via mail order and it was bloody miles away. Anyway returning it by post would cost too much so I thought I'd drive down there.

20 miles down the motorway I got to the town, got lost (no sat nav - keep spending the money on music gear) went round in circles, exited down what looked like a side road without looking at the sign and..... found myself back on the motorway to London, 22 miles till the next turn....

Got home and thought f**k it - might as well plug the bastard back in. Just spent about 6 hours tweaking it/ layering it/ Eqing it/ adding various effects etc. etc.

And guess what - it KICKS ARSE

The moral of the story is - take your time (although I can usually extract a good sound way quicker than that which is why I got frustrated).

It still needs a bit of noise suppression though - a Boss NS-2 maybe be on the cards next
Good to hear man.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Save up and buy an ISP G-string.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
I have a DistX, nand have done numerous recordings direct to my PC with it. I like it, 'nuff said there.

But I think the clue for how much gain and noise it has is in it's name!!!