Hi. Ive got my heart set on a fender twin reverb and am thinking of buying one after im done college in about 8 months. Ive been looking into it and the prices vary by alot! Should i shell out £1000 for a good one or get one for alot cheaper and restore it? Im after great clean tone with at least 60 watts, anybody recommend an alternative? I tried the hot rod deville the other day and while it was good, it didnt blow me away.
You may run into a couple of different kinds of twin reverbs. i have a feeling the cheap ones you are talking about the the silverface ones and while they sound great i persoanlly like the sound of the blackface aka the new 65 reissue. you won't be able to get an original blackface for a decent price. i have heard that you can mod the silverface's easily enough to balckface specs but don't quote me on it.
Quote by anderson80
Hi. Ive got my heart set on a fender twin reverb and am thinking of buying one after im done college in about 8 months. Ive been looking into it and the prices vary by alot! Should i shell out £1000 for a good one or get one for alot cheaper and restore it? Im after great clean tone with at least 60 watts, anybody recommend an alternative? I tried the hot rod deville the other day and while it was good, it didnt blow me away.

Silverface Twin Reverbs can be found for $500 or less, though most will require a retubing and replacing some capacitors, but that will steal leave you well below the cost of a new (and completely substandard) one.

With Fender stuff there are eras that determine the quality and desirability of a vintage amp. The earliest stuff was 'blonde,' then 'tweed,' then 'blackface,' and finally, in the 70s came 'silverface.' Silverface is generally considered the least desirable, mostly because of how clean they stay (which on a Twin Reverb doesn't matter since they are so impossible to OD anyway,) and poor quality control. Silverface stuff is generally considered better than reissue or new stuff, though so at about half the price I think it is a no-brainer.

Quote by joe_k
i have heard that you can mod the silverface's easily enough to balckface specs but don't quote me on it.

You can, but the main difference is how and when on the dial it breaks up... On a Twin Reverb you will not be getting it to break up at any less than ear shatteringly loud, so I wouldn't worry about it. The Silverface stuff is a bit more sterile, but I think it still has plenty of warmth. If its cleans you are after, then silverface will be fine.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Oct 8, 2009,
I have played a silverface and a re issue and i personally thought the re issue was nicer. If you can get a good deal on it the new ones are very nice amps. seeing as your in the UK maybe look into getting a vox ac30. persoanlly i think the cleans don't get anywhere near the TR and if you like reverb like i do the ac30 will probably disappoint. these amps should be easy enough to find and try out.
Another vote for the re-issue.

I have personally owned at least 8 Twin Reverbs for extensive periods of time over the years, and briefly owned or "borrowed" many more.

I'm down to one at the moment, a heavily modified re-issue from about '02.

I can recommend it quite a bit, the only drawbacks I've found are the cheap tubes, and those were the first to go (I run kt66s btw). It can be a b!+@# to mod, if that matters.

The stock speakers are ok, not great, not bad.
I would swap them for EV's (my fave on a twin), but I value my lower back...

Silverfaces are truly the under-rated bargain of the TR world, and can be black-faced easily.

If you've got a grand (UK) and know of a good tech, and I mean GOOD, go Silverface.

If you're looking to save a bit for now, and dip your toe into the Twin universe, get a used re-issue and play it as is. That will give you a nice starting point for what the sound is all about, and you can sort get a feel for what you like and don't like.

Don't discount the Rivera era Twins (red-knob, Evil), these pack a helluva bang for the buck.
The 65' reissue was instant gratification for me. The only thing that turns me off is the lack of an FX loop. I guess that doesn't matter though because you'll get dirt from pedals and can just chain the effects appropriately.