Hey all,

At the moment, one of my bands is attempting to do a cover of Blink 182's "Violence". I'm guitar and I'm attempting to get the sound using my Gibson Les Paul through my Orange Rocker 30 head. I also own an MT-2 Metalzone pedal and a Big Muff Russian. I don't really have a budget to buy new pedals. I know that I have to boost the mids and lower the gain to get the normal blink sound but this is different.

Any advice? I'm just screwing around now and I'm getting no where.

Thanks in advance!

(Also this is my first post... I don't know if I did it wrong even though I read the rules, so tell me if I did it wrong)
1) Call Blink's guitarist
2) Ask him what rig he used for that recording
3) Buy the exact same rig
4) Play
5) ???
6) Profit!
Tom has a lot more junk in his rig than most would give him credit for, at least now. He's uses Mesa's and Marshalls, and played Strats and ES-335's.

I would suggest playing Single Coils at the minimum, (An ES-335 would probably be pretty damn close) , boost your midrange, and get a high gain sound out of your rocker. The Big Muff is going to be a bit Fuzzy (It is a Fuzz Pedal, after all). So your MT-2 is going to have to do the trick.

Your Les Paul is too thick for the distortion that you hear on Blink Records, try getting your hands on a cheap strat, and punk the snot out of it.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
Tom has a lot more junk in his rig than most would give him credit for, at least now. He's uses Mesa's and Marshalls, and played Strats and ES-335's.

I would suggest playing Single Coils at the minimum, (An ES-335 would probably be pretty damn close) , boost your midrange, and get a high gain sound out of your rocker. The Big Muff is going to be a bit Fuzzy (It is a Fuzz Pedal, after all). So your MT-2 is going to have to do the trick.

Your Les Paul is too thick for the distortion that you hear on Blink Records, try getting your hands on a cheap strat, and punk the snot out of it.

agreed.
TBH, getting the "blink sound" isn't really needed, I can get it using most forms of gear. Just use something like these amp setting B: 4 M:5 T:7/8, medium to high amount of gain preferably from your amp. Set fire to your MT-2 and send it back to the hell spawn it came from. Play loud as well, that works very well for Blink. Other than that getting Tom's sound isn't too bad.

For the intro I'd just roll back your volume knob and get it to a just breaking up kind of sound then when the song kicks in smack the volume back up to 10.

Not Tom bashing here btw, I love Tom! He's just got a relatively easy, fairly generic sound
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey