Page 1 of 2
Good morning, children.

I have a conundrum. I have $1000 dollars to spend on an acoustic. I have selected a few that I really like the tone of... but I don't know much about construction, durability, how the type of wood will effect the tone over time etc etc. I am also open to suggestions.

My thoughts on tone:
  • Breedloves offer a great bluesy/bassy tone, but they don't have enough brightness to really be an "all around" guitar for me. I play all ranges of music... and they don't seem overly versatile. I already owned one Breedlove, and I loved it... but it didn't have a very bright tone.

• Seagulls seem to be "too" bright. They don't have the grit that I like to hear if I ever want to reach into the repertoire and bust out "whorehouse Blues" around a campfire.

• I've not played any Alvarez's yet... the place I was "testing" guitars at didn't carry Alvy's.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

These are the guitars I've come across so far that I've liked:
I'd recommend the Taylor, but it's the only one I've played. However, I loved it so much, and it's definitely an amazing sounding guitar in it's own right. I also find Taylors to have quite nice mids, not too bright, but not too booming either, so it should be able to handle most songs you throw at it.
i would have to agree with you on the seagulls. BEAUTIFUL tone, but almost too bright if you want something harsher. i havent tried any breedloves, but from what ive heard they have good reviews. the only taylors ive played were 1000+ (obv not mine), but they were probably the best ive played. period.

try to find something that not only sounds nice now, but will sound better in 10 years.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
I would highly recommend not to get the Taylor. You're spending over $500 and should be getting more solid wood than just the top.

Seagull actually has a new line called the Solid Wood Series that is all solid wood for about $650+. I would suggest looking into the mini-jumbos. Hopefully you can get your hands on one. They're quite articulate and you can really dig your pick in and get some nice bass out of it when needed.

Personally, I feel the seagulls to be more versatile than most brands. It has a balanced kind of sound. I find most Seagulls to be kind of dull sounding, but the mini-jumbos have always had that special something that made me like it.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
You're in a tough price range, because you will find it difficult to find an all-solid wood (name brand like Taylor or Martin) guitar new at $1000. I've tried a ton of guitars, including the ones that you have, and here are some of my thoughts:

$1000 can fetch you a name like Martin, Taylor, or Breedlove, but won't be all solid wood, just top, the sides will be laminate. The Taylor 214ce is a great guitar for $999, the sides are lamenant wood. The guitar sounds bright and feels well-made. I've tried the Breedlove that is priced at $1000 (Atlas Dr 25). The action was high, which I do not like, but the salesman said that can be adjusted, still, it did not sound as good as I would hope, but is an attractive guitar.

As a side note: Parkwood makes a guitar for $799 that I thought sounded great, was all solid wood and felt comfortable to play. It just is made overseas. That is its downside, and probably has less future resale value.

For $1200 you could get to the Martin DMMV, which to me, was better all-round than all the above guitars, and mostly solid wood.

Seagulls sound good, and play well.

I'm going to cut this short to add my final two sense: you have to get to the $1500-2000 range of guitars if you want to ultimately get your life-time axe. If not, than I would get the best combination of playability, price, and solid-wood construction.
Have you think about an used Larrivee ? They have a very balance, neutral tone.
Quote by Wolf Dog Moon
You're in a tough price range, because you will find it difficult to find an all-solid wood (name brand like Taylor or Martin) guitar new at $1000.

That's not true at all.

Seagull, Guild, Epiphone, Martin, Alvarez, Takamine, and Breedlove. All of these companies will offer at least solid top/back, if not all solid wood.

Martin's 1 and 15 series are both all solid body.
Equipment:

If you like Breedloves that much but want a brighter tone, I'd look at one of their models with maple back and sides. Their bracing allows for more resonance (Which adds a lot of bass), but the maple will bring out the brighter side of things.
Definitely take a look at Takamine though. They have a great balance of tone, from what I've heard and played, and they make plenty of guitars in your range.

I'd have to suggest saving up a bit more money. Wolf Dog Moon is right about that price range being a bit tough. For $1000 you're not gonna get anything spectacular (note that a guitar is not necessarily spectacular because a company decided to use cheap, med-low grade solid wood to make it. You all realize these "cheap solid wood guitars" gimmicks are pieces of wood that didnt make the cut in that companies real upper range line, right? They fail on both the grain quality and aesthetics themselves, which granted is a bit less important). At the same time for $1000 you're also not buying a banger. This guitar will stick with you for a while and $1000 is still a lot of money no matter what.

If you had to get one of those guitars you mentioned then I'd say the Taylor (yes, i know im a fanboy), especially if you already said that YOU liked it.

If I were you, I would save up aother $700 (or maybe you have a guitar or something you wouldnt mind parting with that you could use as a trade in on top of cash) and get a Taylor 314ce. It'd be well worth the wait.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Well, I wouldn't count out Breedloves just because you've owned one that didn't work for you. The first breed ove I ever tried I fell in love with and since then they've been very hit or miss, I've noticed that alot of them came with very high action, at least the ones I've seen in stores.

Many people here love seagull so don't take my opinion to the bank, but of the 4 that I've tried I hated. All were in the 500-1000 range and sounded terrible. Most guitars that i don't like I don't like because of how they play, either too high of action or i just don't like the neck. All of the seagulls had high action and sounded like crap when i played them. They just sounded very dull in general and didn't feel sturdy in my hands. You might try one and find a gem and love it though.

I bought my taylor 114ce used for 450 with a case, but I knew the guy and it was a great deal. I love the way it plays and sounds and feels. he said that he's never adjusted the action and I've played a few others in stores and they all come well setup from the factory. They feel very sturdy and well built, never had a problem with mine. I've used many different gauge strings on it and it's taken them all very well. He bought it with medium gauge elixirs on it and switched to custom light d'addarios without needing any adjustments and since then I've switched it back up to medium gauge strings cause they sound so much more full.

All in all, try all of them out, watch craigslist for great deals, and when you play them in the store, make sure that it's not the strings on the guitar that you don't like. I've seen some very dull and tattered strings on 2000 dollar guitars in guitar center that made the guitar sound worse then the 250 dollar fender in the corner. You just can't get an accurate feel or tone of an acoustic with ****ty strings on it. Maybe your guitar center takes better care of there stuff, but I recommend going to a different store before purchasing and trying out the guitars there. I go to C&M Music ( I don't know if they are a chain store or not but they are great) that is a few blocks down from GC and all of their acoustics are cleaned up and checked every morning and get a new set of strings every couple of weeks.

In the end I'd suggest not getting a guitar just because you feel like you're getting the best bang for your buck. If a more expensive guitar that has less solid wood feels and sounds better to you then the 500 all solid wood guitar, then thats your prerogative. Getting the one that sounds like the best bang for your buck means you might just be settling on the guitar you didn't like as much in the first place.

Good luck.
Since you mentioned construction, it's worth pointing out at this stage that solid wood requires slightly more controlled conditions to prevent damage and wear and tear. For example, you'll need to monitor your humidity more so than you would with a guitar with say, laminate sides. In this respect, getting a partly laminate guitar would be no bad thing if you're in a less than ideal, temperate climate.

OK, so a guitar which is all solid wood will sound better, there is no doubt about that. But the question is are you prepared to invest more money to get that said tone? Especially if you've already found a guitar(s) that you like the sound of anyway? This bit of course, is up to you and depends on your priorities. Yes, you'll be getting a better instrument, but you will need to be more careful with it. I'd say most people here, me included, would advise you to go for an all solid wood instrument, but if you've found the sound you want, go for it! Aside from tone, there aren't many disadvantages to laminate construction that I can think of, so if you've already removed tone, or more accurately "fixed it" from the equation, why worry about it too much?
Quote by Bright Light
I'd have to suggest saving up a bit more money. Wolf Dog Moon is right about that price range being a bit tough. For $1000 you're not gonna get anything spectacular (note that a guitar is not necessarily spectacular because a company decided to use cheap, med-low grade solid wood to make it. You all realize these "cheap solid wood guitars" gimmicks are pieces of wood that didnt make the cut in that companies real upper range line, right? They fail on both the grain quality and aesthetics themselves, which granted is a bit less important). At the same time for $1000 you're also not buying a banger. This guitar will stick with you for a while and $1000 is still a lot of money no matter what.

You say that, but even instrument grade solid wood is still much better than laminate(in most cases). As well, grain quality and aesthetics aren't usually that bad either. If the wood was really as bad as you make it seem, none of these companies would sell their guitars in natural finishes, which they all do.

Granted, I do agree with you to an extent. You aren't going to get the best grade solid wood because this is near entry level price for all solid wood. But I wouldn't call it a "gimmick". A gimmick is associated with trickery. The wood may very well be rejected from the top of the line because of aesthetic reasons(which aren't really that important, as you mentioned), but who cares? Tonally, there's nothing wrong with it at all. That, to me, is what really matters on an instrument.

Honestly, a $1000 solid wood guitar is more than good enough to meet most people's needs.
Equipment:

in the price range you're talking about, breedloves are among the only laminate back and side guitars. if you can find one of their higher priced models on sale or used, they may please you more as they are all solid. usually an all-solid breedlove starts at $1699.

try silk and steel strings on a seagull - it may do the trick for you. keep in mind that which seagull you play matters. have you tried the mini jumbo?

when i played the taylor 114ce for my husband, he described the sound as "bratty" - he said a wilder, less refined tone than the gc8. perhaps closer to what you're looking for. also a smaller shape, as it's a grand auditorium. even though it's a laminate, i like the sound a lot.

i'm not a fan of parlor guitars, but since early blues was often played on them, you might try a few in your price range and see what you think. some deliver a lot more tone than others.

other brands worth trying if you can find them include recording king - which are also best bang for your buck guitars - and blueridge.
Most Breedloves have solid backs in that range, just laminate sides. Their guitars sacrifice the lam side for incredible electronics.
I really loved my Breedlove; but I haven't found another one that carries that same tone and I had to sell it to pay some bills (terrible decision, but necessary).

I realize that if I had time to save up money it would put me in the "healthier" bracket... but unfortunately I'm stuck in this range as this is just the money I got back from my Grad School for my fellowship.

Thoughts are greatly appreciated. I'll trying some of the Seagull Jumbos for sure. All Solid isn't a priority. To be frank, I don't care what its made of as long as I love the tone. I'm not professional musician, I play for myself... so as long as I like it, its no big deal. I am playing around at different stores, as the GC has all guitars with horrid strings on it. the ParkWood I was playing had strings that were ridiculously old.

I really liked the tone of the Parkwood; but I can't find anything about them on the internet. No reviews, no comments, nothing. Makes me a bit hesitant.

I have tried out some Taka's... they've been very hit and miss. I've played one that sounded pretty good... but the others have all sounded dull and played pretty weakly due to action problems.

I'm going to keep shopping around. I've never been a fan of Guild Guitars... and I would like to avoid a used guitar. I've already had bad luck with those.

I'll check out Parlor and BlueRidge as well.

Thanks everyone (except you Kyrl)
I've heard some decent things about parkwood. With the takamine's you should be buying the exact one you play anyway, so the hit and miss thing doesn't apply as much. If you find a really nice one, go ahead and buy that one.
Equipment:

Quote by GC Shred Off
Have you considered used guitars?

Like I said before, I'd much rather avoid that. I've had some really bad luck and experiences with them in the past.

Quote by patticake

Nope. It was a 310 model, but not the dreadnought. It had great tone to it; I just don't want to buy something that is going to drop out on me in a few years. To some people, a 1000 dollar guitar isn't a lifetime guitar... but for someone like me who just plays for the hell of it... this is probably a guitar I'll have for the rest of my life and use more often then the one I get when I get my PhD and buy a 3000 dollar guitar just to say I have one.
Quote by ZanasCross
Like I said before, I'd much rather avoid that. I've had some really bad luck and experiences with them in the past.

Really? I've never had a problem. In fact, I rarely even look at new guitars anymore because the used ones are such fantastic deals. Nevertheless, I'd recommend Blueridge guitars because they're one of the few brands I've seen that makes truly awesome instruments in the $800-1000 range.
Quote by GC Shred Off
I'd recommend Blueridge guitars because they're one of the few brands I've seen that makes truly awesome instruments in the $800-1000 range.

Seconded. Just make sure you spend some time playing them; the ones at a shop in my town vary wildly, even from the exact same model.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Parkwood-PW320M-GA-Acoustic-Guitar-103407482-i1171388.gc

this wasn't a dreadnaught.

btw, i've known people with cheap $100 guitars that have lasted them for over 20 years. laminate guitars are actually much more stable, less prone to issues relating to temperature, cracking and humidity.

i'd consider the seagulls, many yahamas and blueridges, lower end taylors (not counting the big baby) and lower end martins, low priced larrivees and taks could make a lot of hobby players happy for the rest of their lives. i've jammed with plenty who do great with solid-top, quality laminate back and sides guitars.

btw, i played a martin om all solid wood a few times that sounds very good. it's the most unfinished looking guitar, but feels good and sounds good, and the price was $899.

Quote by ZanasCross

Nope. It was a 310 model, but not the dreadnought. It had great tone to it; I just don't want to buy something that is going to drop out on me in a few years. To some people, a 1000 dollar guitar isn't a lifetime guitar... but for someone like me who just plays for the hell of it... this is probably a guitar I'll have for the rest of my life and use more often then the one I get when I get my PhD and buy a 3000 dollar guitar just to say I have one.
Last edited by patticake at Oct 9, 2009,
I know Seagulls can seem bright...

but have you tried one in a different wood, like Walnut?

Also, have you considered a Carvin? Or maybe one of your local luthiers?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
@patticake - Martin's HPL is actually just as vulnerable to humidity damage as normal solid wood, except it cannot be fixed once humidity damage occurs. Unlike normal wood, which will rehydrate and take back it's shape, HPL is just a baked sheet of sawdust and chemical. It can't be fixed. It just cracks.

@dannyalcatraz - I know the carvins make amazing electric guitars, but in terms of acoustic guitars, I've heard that they're not so good.
Equipment:

You really need to track down a couple of Alvarez Masterworks guitars to try out as well.
Quote by ZanasCross
I really loved my Breedlove; but I haven't found another one that carries that same tone and I had to sell it to pay some bills (terrible decision, but necessary).

I realize that if I had time to save up money it would put me in the "healthier" bracket... but unfortunately I'm stuck in this range as this is just the money I got back from my Grad School for my fellowship.

Thoughts are greatly appreciated. I'll trying some of the Seagull Jumbos for sure. All Solid isn't a priority. To be frank, I don't care what its made of as long as I love the tone. I'm not professional musician, I play for myself... so as long as I like it, its no big deal. I am playing around at different stores, as the GC has all guitars with horrid strings on it. the ParkWood I was playing had strings that were ridiculously old.

I really liked the tone of the Parkwood; but I can't find anything about them on the internet. No reviews, no comments, nothing. Makes me a bit hesitant.

I have tried out some Taka's... they've been very hit and miss. I've played one that sounded pretty good... but the others have all sounded dull and played pretty weakly due to action problems.

I'm going to keep shopping around. I've never been a fan of Guild Guitars... and I would like to avoid a used guitar. I've already had bad luck with those.

I'll check out Parlor and BlueRidge as well.

Thanks everyone (except you Kyrl)

Parkwood is a Guitar Center Store brand, and made by Cort guitar company. Parkwoods are made in Korea, I think. At the 2 Guitar Centers I go to, the strings were old as well. As a guitar, it sounds great and is all solid wood, back sides, and top and looks attractive, but with a open satin finish, it is not overstated. It is in a weird price range 599-799 which no other guitar with similar specs is in. It is like a catch-22 as a guitar, if that makes sense. It is an affordable, solid wood guitar, with great craftmanship, sounds good, but is often overlooked for brand names and american-made guitars. Does that make sense?
Yeah, it does.

So, its a good guitar in an awkward price range and probably one of the "better" deals you can get... bbut is overlooked because its Guitar Center only and foreign. I really enjoyed it... probably the best out of the ones I've played in the last week.

I'm really leaning towards that, but want to try out some blueridge now.
The Blueridges over here look really nice, but I don't think they play too well. They have a lot of care gone into the aesthetics, that's for sure, but I find them a bit tinny.
Quote by Bright Light

If you had to get one of those guitars you mentioned then I'd say the Taylor (yes, i know im a fanboy), especially if you already said that YOU liked it.

If I were you, I would save up aother $700 (or maybe you have a guitar or something you wouldnt mind parting with that you could use as a trade in on top of cash) and get a Taylor 314ce. It'd be well worth the wait.

Funny that you talk about the low quality woods on "cheap solid wood guitars" when in fact the 100 and 200 series Taylors, which you recommend, have the absolute worst looking tops I have ever seen. Also, the 314ce, (which I like, don't get me wrong) falls into the "cheap all-solid" category here as Taylor's cheapest all-solid guitar.

My point? Just because supposedly (and probably) the wood is not of the greatest quality does not mean it will not sound good.

Personally I suggest staying away from anything that says "Taylor" on the headstock if its below the 300 series. Some of the most overpriced acoustic guitars I've seen next to the X-Series Martins.

I will, however, suggest what Baby Joel said: Go try out some Breedloves with maple and possibly mahogany backs. These will have a brighter tone than the typical spruce/rosewood combo that the folks at Breedlove seem to put out a lot of. Also, there my be some maple topped Breeds that will brighten up the tone as well, but I don't know if I would go that route.

One last thing about that "bluesy" acoustic sound: Give some Guilds a go. Many an acoustic blues artist have used Guild guitars to great success, including the late, great Stevie Ray Vaughan (RIP Stevie Ray! )

EDIT: This is me agreeing with LeftyDave.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Oct 9, 2009,
Quote by LordBishek
but I find them a bit tinny.

I noticed the same issue where I am; to find one great one you have to play ten decent/marginal ones.

Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Last edited by millerdrr at Oct 9, 2009,
Quote by Natrone

One last thing about that "bluesy" acoustic sound: Give some Guilds a go. Many an acoustic blues artist have used Guild guitars to great success, including the late, great Stevie Ray Vaughan (RIP Stevie Ray! )

Anyone played one of these? It's beautiful.

The nearest place that carries Guild's is a couple hours away so I'll have to go some time in the next couple weeks myself, but thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guild-GAD30PCE-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=513328

I'm sorry, I'm really not trying to be annoying... I just have a feeling this may be one of the last guitars I ever buy and I want to love it
Quote by Natrone
Funny that you talk about the low quality woods on "cheap solid wood guitars" when in fact the 100 and 200 series Taylors, which you recommend, have the absolute worst looking tops I have ever seen. Also, the 314ce, (which I like, don't get me wrong) falls into the "cheap all-solid" category here as Taylor's cheapest all-solid guitar.

My point? Just because supposedly (and probably) the wood is not of the greatest quality does not mean it will not sound good.

Personally I suggest staying away from anything that says "Taylor" on the headstock if its below the 300 series. Some of the most overpriced acoustic guitars I've seen next to the X-Series Martins.

I will, however, suggest what Baby Joel said: Go try out some Breedloves with maple and possibly mahogany backs. These will have a brighter tone than the typical spruce/rosewood combo that the folks at Breedlove seem to put out a lot of. Also, there my be some maple topped Breeds that will brighten up the tone as well, but I don't know if I would go that route.

Really? I got a 110, and I LOVE it. It's got an amazing voice, and the tone is beautiful compared to a lot of other similarly priced guitars I've played.

Quote by ZanasCross
Anyone played one of these? It's beautiful.

The nearest place that carries Guild's is a couple hours away so I'll have to go some time in the next couple weeks myself, but thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guild-GAD30PCE-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=513328

I'm sorry, I'm really not trying to be annoying... I just have a feeling this may be one of the last guitars I ever buy and I want to love it

No problem bro, you should never EVER rush into buying an instrument whether it's your first or last. I really like the tone of guilds, they have a nice booming voice like Brian Blessed on K.
Last edited by LordBishek at Oct 9, 2009,
Definately don't worry about asking questions. You should see all the threads I've posted about amps and electrics in my various quests to acquire better ones. I can only imagine I got really annoying at times
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
Definately don't worry about asking questions. You should see all the threads I've posted about amps and electrics in my various quests to acquire better ones. I can only imagine I got really annoying at times

Im right there with ya. I wouldnt know even half the things I know if it werent for the acoustic forum here and the GG&A forum. And I would have never gotten as far as I have with the gear I currently use. Most of it isnt even from asking questions myself, its from lurking through posts and relating to other people's questions, problems and solutions.

Actually come to think of it...it was YOU, Natrone, whose advice led me to both my T5 and my Maz 38! Thanks, dude!
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Seriously?

Man I'd love to get a Dr. Z someday.

Sorry for the spam Cap :p
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Nothing wrong with some good Q&A. How do you think I learned everything I know to date? Asking questions here and also a bit of reading articles on my own.

Anyway, the Guilds are very well built. I've enjoyed all my experiences with them so far.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guild-GADJF48-Jumbo-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=513145

^ This one in particular looks smexy. I have a soft spot(much like a new born baby's head) for jumbos.
Equipment:

Some years ago, I used to go to GC and visit these Tacoma guitars of various types...I loved their sound! Excellent sound projection, rock-solid feel.

GC no longer carries them, and neither does anyone else around where I live, AFAIK.

I never got to buy mine...but they are still an ongoing company.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Ooooo.....lovin the antique burst on that Cap..... And of course the black. Love me some gloss black acoustic
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Page 1 of 2