G'day all, basically, I'm looking for a book to try and expand my playing somewhat, but I don't really know where to start. I think a problem is I don't know specifically what I want to improve on, I just have a rough idea of some things I'm not good at (and I don't know if I can get anything to help me with these anyway)

Primarily I guess I'd like to try and work on improv, with a view to solos and to walking lines, and I need to do work on my notation reading (i can read it fine and I know all the noes in the bass clef and on my bass, just putting the 2 together and playing is difficult). For the notation I figured I could just use say Guitar Pro with the tab off, but i'm hoping to find something a bit more structured to guide me a little. Finally, I guess I'd also like to try and at least get some more theory down in relation to playing in different styles, as right now I play primarily rock, with just a bit of funk or blues thrown in for good measure.

Like I say, I don't know if there's any books out there that can help towards any of these, but I've got a lot of spare time at the minute so I thought I'd look into it.

Cheers!
"Stuff good bass players should know" by Glenn Letsch is a pretty good book it deals with a lot off different aspects of the bass not just playing it.
Gear:

Fender Jaguar Bass
Ashdown MAG300H Head
Ashdown 410 T Deep Cab
Epiphone Thunderbird
Squier P/J Bass
SKAK20BA Practice Bass Amp
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14597115&postcount=203

and

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14597197&postcount=204

The list needs a revision or two, which I will do in the new FAQ. If you need anymore recommendations, let me know. I have more bass books than any human really needs.
PM me if you want me to hook you up with a real book.

what you're going to want to do is:

1) get a real book
2) obtain jazz tunes of all kinds
3) transcribe, transcribe, transcribe
4) ???
5) PROFIT

although a real book isn't going to teach you theory and such explicitly, when you learn that stuff it's like reverse engineering. all you need is to concurrently learn music theory in general. then relate the theory to what you're hearing and playing in the jazz tunes.

jazz bass is the foundation of all cool bass. it was the primary genre of james jamerson. and we all know he went on to become god in the flesh. you'll definitely get your chops up.
#DTWD
If you are serious about learning / improving your sight reading along with developing technique on your own, then try the various books published by Musician's Institute in Hollywood, CA. They are pretty much industry standards.

Good luck!