Gibson Flying V!

I was just surfing craigslist in my surrounding area and I found a guy who was selling multiple guitars and pedals in order to help pay for bills and college, so I contacted him about a possible trade his Gibson V involving my 80s MIJ Stratocaster. We agreed to meet up, I threw in a little extra cash, and we made the transaction in a parking lot in between our two residences.

I was a little sad to see the Strat go, but I'm glad that it went to someone who will play it and give it a loving home. It had sat in its case since I got my custom built guitar and I'd been thinking about selling it for a while, and when I saw this opportunity I pounced.

Here is a picture of the Strat I traded.

So, yay for NGD!
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Awesome!

HNGD!
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
That is a nice ass V!

But I, personally, would have kept the Strat. 80's MIJ Strats are so hard to find and I love the way they play. Then again, I'm just a Fender-loving guy... Plus it had a Floyd??? God I want that ****!
Quote by MetalUpYourRear
That is a nice ass V!

But I, personally, would have kept the Strat. 80's MIJ Strats are so hard to find and I love the way they play. Then again, I'm just a Fender-loving guy... Plus it had a Floyd??? God I want that ****!

No, it was a Kahler. The modifications to the Strat included a locking nut, Gotoh tuners, a kahler tremolo, and a SD Hot Rail in the bridge.

The Flying V has all DiMarzio pickups, a tremolo system, locking tuners, straplocks, and some other small modifications.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by chuckmehh
happy NGD sir! What is the chicken head knob on the V???

I guess it's a varitone filter.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
wait so 80s strats with trems are that elusive?

I have an 80s mij strat with a locking nut and a fender floyd copy (it works exactly like a floyd but it says fender on it).. I love the guitar but I had no idea that it was really that hard to find or that it would be worth a decent penny?

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
Quote by glenthemann

I have an 80s mij strat with a locking nut and a fender floyd copy (it works exactly like a floyd but it says fender on it).. I love the guitar but I had no idea that it was really that hard to find or that it would be worth a decent penny?

80s MIJ strats are a good price nowadays anyways. I saw a '82 MIJ '62 reissue in Sonic Blue for almost $2,000. The 80s were around the time that they started producing reissues, and from 80-83(?) is supposedly when the best reissues were made. Which is why when you see reissues of the 57 or 62 strat MIA, they fetch for almost $3,000.
Well mine wasn't a reissue or anything; just a simple sunburst MIJ strat.

The chickenhead knob on the Gibson is actually the pickup selector, believe it or not. Its pretty interesting. I haven't been able to play it much due to work, but I'm going to take it into the shop to get it checked out and everything sometime this week.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by Vecheka
Well mine wasn't a reissue or anything; just a simple sunburst MIJ strat.

The chickenhead knob on the Gibson is actually the pickup selector, believe it or not. Its pretty interesting. I haven't been able to play it much due to work, but I'm going to take it into the shop to get it checked out and everything sometime this week.

Ahh i see...so then what is the switch that looks to be the pickup selector?
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
Quote by chuckmehh
Ahh i see...so then what is the switch that looks to be the pickup selector?

Depending on that switch, if its just up and down with no middle ground, it could be a kill switch. If it has a middle ground, the chicken head knob could also be a killswitch (Possibly). Unless TS has already tested the chickenhead knob and concluded it switches pickups.

Just a theory.
That was a good trade I say.

Maybe that guy is reading this thread
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
The chickenhead is in fact the pickup switch, but I'm thinking about removing it and putting in a normal five-way switch because I think they're more convenient. To be honest I'm not sure what the single switch does because I haven't had a great deal of time to mess with the guitar, but I am assuming it is some sort of overdrive boost (but I could be wrong because there is no place to put a battery).
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Last edited by Vecheka at Oct 8, 2009,
Quote by glenthemann

I had one of these, they're only worth ~$450 max. In fact, there was a guy selling one with a case for $200 shipped on HC for weeks, no idea if he ever sold it, but that was a ridiculous price.

Sweet guitar though, which version of the V is that?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
wait, its a guy selling his guitars and pedals to pay the bills, yet u think yur 80s strat is going to his "loving home"? im pretty sure hes gonna be selling it. but anyway, nice catch u got there. looks great! HNGD!
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
Quote by MatrixClaw
I had one of these, they're only worth ~$450 max. In fact, there was a guy selling one with a case for $200 shipped on HC for weeks, no idea if he ever sold it, but that was a ridiculous price.

Sweet guitar though, which version of the V is that?

Its a 2007 Faded V made in the TN factory.

Quote by flanders_91
wait, its a guy selling his guitars and pedals to pay the bills, yet u think yur 80s strat is going to his "loving home"? im pretty sure hes gonna be selling it. but anyway, nice catch u got there. looks great! HNGD!

Oh and I have no delusions about what goes on with Craigslist, but he said he was actually excited to get my Strat because he had one a long time ago and regretted selling it. So, I'm hoping that he actually plays it. If not I'm sure it will find its way into someone's home eventually.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15