Poll: Should I put the strings back on, or wait till the nut is glued?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should I put the strings back on, or wait till the nut is glued?
Wait
0 0%
Put them on
3 100%
Voters: 3.
Halp! Changing the strings on my new 12 string, and the nut has come loose! I know they should be glued in place, but I don't have any wood glue and the next time I can get some will be tomorrow morning, some 14 hrs away. The strings are already off, all except the thickest E string, but the nut is definitely slipping to the side, and I don't know if it will remain in place with all the strings on. Should I leave the guitar without strings overnight, or should I put them on anyway and just hope the nut holds? I don't really want to fork out £12.99 for a new set of strings tomorrow, but better that than risk considerable damage to the neck
The nut doesn't have to be glued on. For quite a lot of guitars its held on only by tension. You'd be fine putting the strings back on. However, if you really are unsure, you can wait to get woodglue, or if you have superglue laying around, that will do fine as well.
I don't have any kind of glue. What happens if I do out the strings on? Is it relatively easy to detune all the strings, pull them to one side, glue the nut and then put them back on?

Hope to christ obeythepenguin isreading this
You don't need glue, tension will hold it in place. However I would take this opportunity to make a new bone nut (though admittedly on a 12 string that would be a lot of work...)
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
But yes you could put the strings on then loosen them when you do get glue. Also you only need a tiny little dab of glue.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Yeah, the neck won't snap or anything, the nut won't break or anything, nothing bad will happen at all.
Loosening the strings then putting wood glue on would also be pretty easy. No need to take them all off.
Awesome, I'll put the suckers on and then loosen them tomorrow. And yeah, a new nut might be nice, this one is plastic Apart from that, guitar is beautiful
Yeah, I guess. I took them all off to give it a polish and oil the fretboard, wasn't expecting the nut to come loose like that

Anyway, I've put half the strings on, going to put the other 5 on tomorrow, hopefully after I've got the nut glued down.

But now, my b-string is buzzing like a mofo, and I'm not sure why, looks like the bridge is a bit naff.