I really want to get a strat but don't want to spend over $500 bucks on one.

So what are the major differences between fender and squier?
Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks
I play guitar.
Theres been loads of threads like these.

But Squiers are usually been built with cheaper mateirel and fender have bettter pick ups etc.....
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
Does this really need to be asked? But to answer your question, a Squier is a low grade version of Fender, which means everything they use is of low grade to bring down the prices. I would get the Fender, Squier's are mainly for the beginning guitarist, who dosent have much money but wants a decent guitar.
Everything really. Pickups, quality of parts, etc. You should be able to find a mexican strat for under $500, I'm not completely sure because I don't live in America but in the UK they are about £350 including VAT and all that stuff. You can definitely get one for under $500 if you go used. Don't get a Squier.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by falconthefirst
Everything really. Pickups, quality of parts, etc. You should be able to find a mexican strat for under $500, I'm not completely sure because I don't live in America but in the UK they are about £350 including VAT and all that stuff. You can definitely get one for under $500 if you go used. Don't get a Squier.

I guessed you used every squier ever invented Squier protones, Classic vibes, master series, and vintage modified crushes the standard MIMs.
Quote by darkcheef
Well IMO Squier CV strats have better pickups than MIM strats.

Not to mention the Japanese squiers from the 80s are supposed to be really well built.

TS, if you can score one of the 80s Squiers, then you'll have a fantastic guitar.

Also, if you don't want to spend more than $500 on a strat, then you're missing out on a lot of good guitars. You might prefer the U shaped of '54 reissues (Some Japanese models, or the 54 masterbuilt, but thats $4,000). Or the Soft V ('57 reissue, EJ strat, EC strat), or the modern C ('62, most production models).

Seriously, the EJ strat is hands down the best strat I've touched, and you can pick them up used for around $1200 or so. You pay for quality most of the time, so if you spend $500 you might not get a good guitar and you'll think of Fender/Squier as bad guitars.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by darkcheef
Well IMO Squier CV strats have better pickups than MIM strats.

is the CV classic vibe? because i was looking at the Squier Classic vibe 50s Strat
I play guitar.
I really liked the classic vibe strats I tryed out. They had a really nice feel, which suprisd me. You can get the signature strat tone pretty easily. Ive played a couple MIM Fenders that I wasnt really impressed with. I would say go classic vibe.
The Classic Vibe Strats are really worth it when you're on a budget. The wood and general construction isn't quite as solid as a MIM Fender Strat, but their electronics are much better (especially the stock pickups), so it balances out - and since the MIM Fenders aren't made of top-grade wood anyway, it's not like it's a big issue, the better electronics of the CV Squier Strats make them a better buy than the MIM Fender Standard Strats.

However, they are the only Squiers that this applies to. Every other Squier model is most certainly inferior to a MIM Fender in every way. Some people have a bizarre notion that the Vintage Modified Squiers are on-par with the Classic Vibe series, but they're not; the VM's are just as bad as the Squier Standards/Bullets/Affinity series.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
So pretty much a Fender MIM and Squier CV would be the same thing pretty much. I'll probably get a CV 50s since thats the one with the maple neck. I just have to find a dealer near me that sells squiers/fenders.
I play guitar.
Quote by MrFlibble
The Classic Vibe Strats are really worth it when you're on a budget. The wood and general construction isn't quite as solid as a MIM Fender Strat, but their electronics are much better (especially the stock pickups), so it balances out - and since the MIM Fenders aren't made of top-grade wood anyway, it's not like it's a big issue, the better electronics of the CV Squier Strats make them a better buy than the MIM Fender Standard Strats.

However, they are the only Squiers that this applies to. Every other Squier model is most certainly inferior to a MIM Fender in every way. Some people have a bizarre notion that the Vintage Modified Squiers are on-par with the Classic Vibe series, but they're not; the VM's are just as bad as the Squier Standards/Bullets/Affinity series.

I liked the VM
Meh, the VM's at least have Duncan Designed pickups, which I'd say are a step up from Affinity ceramic clunkers.
And it's not like the VM's are bad, I liked it too.
Not exactly a strat tone, but I liked it anyway.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I had a VM and it was trash; I've tried three other VMs and they were also trash. So, there you go.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
^bad luck, maybe?
My starter pack Affinity wasn't actually that bad, tbh. It wasn't GOOD by any means, but it wasn't bad, either. Whatever, Squier has pretty crappy quality control for the most part but what low end company doesn't?

And then there was my G-310. What a piece of trash that one was. Never buying an Epi again if I can help it, they all suck terribly (My LP isn't too bad though, I just think I'm done with that brand).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Check Craigslist
I just got an 02 MiM strat, Awesome condition, no scratches, marks dents anything. + a tweed strap+ a fender fronmant 15R+ a stand for $250. It was a great deal, but they always sell there for 250-350$