Do I HAVE to spend £70 on a Boss NS-2? Is there anything on the market a bit cheaper than that! Many thanks in advance
im not aware of any cheaper that do the job aswell but if ur after a good one spend a lil more n get the mxr smart gate or a lot more for a isp decimater otherwise the NS2 will do the job
yeah ns-2 is cheapest one but isp decimator is worth saving up a bit more for
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Before you suck your tone with a pedal I would recommend checking out this post: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1032138

And read through the entire thread, I did it it was SO worth the $10 on adhesive spray and $5 on heavy duty foil, and even if it doesn't do the job you want it to it will reduce the amount of external noise you could be prone to picking up.
im pretty sure the boss is the cheapest (without sacrificing too much anyway). its not something u can really cheap out on. just remember kids, ebay is ur best friend. i got an ISP for $77 USD, new on ebay.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
One word... Used!

Same quality, make and model but ohhh so much cheaper. And you might be able to score a MIJ model which is night and day compared to the Taiwanese models..
Never heard of the Decimator or Smartgate so thanks for those! Does the Boss NS2 ruin your tone? Sadly the Decimator is really expensive in this country (£159) so I might try the Smartgate at £109.

Will definitely keep an eye on E-Bay!
The Decimator has gotten up to £160?!?!!

WHAT

Recession much?!

My advice: Wait for them to come down in price. Last time I was looking at those they were about £105 or find a cheap one used. ISP is the way to go.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Chargrill3d
Never heard of the Decimator or Smartgate so thanks for those! Does the Boss NS2 ruin your tone? Sadly the Decimator is really expensive in this country (£159) so I might try the Smartgate at £109. Will definitely keep an eye on E-Bay!

like a jizz stain on a satin prom dress.
Quote by Yngwi3

WHAT

Recession much?!

My advice: Wait for them to come down in price. Last time I was looking at those they were about £105 or find a cheap one used. ISP is the way to go.

Jesus yet another product hit by rip-off Britain and the weakness of the pound - I saw my Yamaha BB615 Bass rise from £315 to £370 over the course of 6 months. When it dropped back to £340 I bought it.
Quote by GrisKy
like a jizz stain on a satin prom dress.

The whole deal about the NS-2 being a tone sucker is just another one of the many bandwagons that people jump on here on UG.

I've owned one for several years and I've never noticed any change in my tone when using one. I also know several other people who use one and have never complained about it affecting their tone.

The vast majority of professional musicians that have noise suppressors use the NS-2. If it was such a horrible pedal (like everyone here makes it seem to be) then those pros wouldn't be using it.

That said, the NS-2 can be a sustain killer if you don't have the gate and decay set properly.
Quote by i_am_metalhead

The whole deal about the NS-2 being a tone sucker is just another one of the many bandwagons that people jump on here on UG.

I've owned one for several years and I've never noticed any change in my tone when using one. I also know several other people who use one and have never complained about it affecting their tone.

The vast majority of professional musicians that have noise suppressors use the NS-2. If it was such a horrible pedal (like everyone here makes it seem to be) then those pros wouldn't be using it.

That said, the NS-2 can be a sustain killer if you don't have the gate and decay set properly.

Sorry man have to call BS on this one.. I have tested it side by side with my old Isp Decimator and so has many others on the net and it does suck tone quite noticeably. It also likes to throw a bit of its own noise in the mix. The MIJ model is a bit better in both aspects but it still sucks a little tone as well. The Taiwanese model is quite simply crap as far as im concerned. It was noisy, sucked tone and had to be dimed to do anything. And the only reason I even keep the MIJ NS2 around is because it was cheap as hell and a could keep satisfied until I can get my hands on a Pro Rack G or an amp that isn't noisy.
I've noticed that when I send my clean guitar into a DI and then into Line 6's Gearbox Gold amp sim VST I get a lot of noise with distortion presets. Clearly an external NS pedal would make no difference in this case?? Or is it a case of getting a better quality DI (I'm currently using the Toneport DI from Line 6)
I've been checking out E-Bay for the ISP Decimator and one came up - I kept an eye on it and the winning bid was £143!!!!!! Who the hell pays that for a pedal you can get brand new for £15 more?
^ i really have no idea, I always wonder that too, that's pretty much why I buy so little off ebay (plus also I'm always a bit wary of it anyway). Someone bought an NS2 for £59, + £5 postage the other day, and you can get them new for £69. there are some cheapos around, I sometimes wonder if they wouldn't go second-hand even to save about 50p, on a high-priced item.

It might be worth waiting for highly strung to get some more back into stock. they have a couple of the other ISP pedals at the moment, but no decimators. they're normally a bit cheaper than soundsgreat. Would be worth emailing them to make sure they actually will be getting them back into stock, though.

Quote by Yngwi3

WHAT

Recession much?!

wow, i got mine for £85. Are you sure you weren't looking at the g-string?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 22, 2009,