i'm reading this book on "how to win friends and influence people" by Dale Carnegie and apparently, i have to do a presentation on the section "you can't win an argumemnt" and the author says how its best to just avoid an argument because if you lose, you lose and if you win, you still lose. he also mentions to avoid the acute angle and the only way to get the best of an argument is to avoid it.

i'm not posting this to get ideas for my presentation...
what i'm wondering is, am i the only guy that disagrees with this guy??
My Axes:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 Telecaster
Fender 62 Stratocaster
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Well, I do agree with using right and obtuse angles.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Dale Carnegie is a pussy.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
The guy who wrote that is quite clearly wrong, so wrong in fact that I may just have to take up an argument with him.....
I really didn't understand that, but from the sense I could make, I don't agree.
RIP Terje (Valfar) Bakken
Last edited by acidhendrix at Oct 8, 2009,
The time spent reading that book could be spent getting friends.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Depends what the argument is about, I guess, but he has a point.

People don't like know-it-alls.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
you own a book called how to win friends

hey man, i had to buy it for the course i'm taking. teehee~
My Axes:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 Telecaster
Fender 62 Stratocaster
Fender American Standard Telecaster
My sig.

I personally like to avoid most arguements. 90% of the time you're not going to change the other person's opinion on the matter, so it's a waste of time.

The only time that it has a point is when the arguements are based on facts, and one person has their facts wrong. Then, it's a 'Correction' not an arguement. Still, a waste of time, because it's almost never necessary to correct someone.
Yeah, uh-huh...that's what they all say.
Quote by osXtiger
The time spent reading that book could be spent getting friends.

The time spent writing a post about using the time spent on reading a book on getting friends could have been used to get more friends.

I also do not possess these creatures.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
No. That's a moronic premise.

Argument is the foundation of free-flowing ideas and understanding. If there were no arguments, people would just become more and more entrenched in their own beliefs that everyone would get hostile when anyone brought anything up, which would only lead to violence.

Although "I see your point," and "Agree to disagree?" are necessities if you want to keep discussions civil. Avoiding arguments isn't a way around them. Learning to argue peacefully is.
If you read 1984, you'll experience why 2+2 is 5, and if you read Lord of the Rings, you'll see how a small person can become a hero. The point here is that books are full of bull****.

S t a i r s s r i a t S

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Eh I agree.

You lose friends by getting into arguments with them.

Not really, I argue with my friends all the time, although it's never over personal stuff, mostly politics and wether or not you can stuff the contents of a lunchbox into a can of relentless.
Putting it quite simply he's saying, to become friends with someone you should avoid arguments with them. For a decent proportion of situations I think that would probably be the best thing to do (if your sole purpose is to befriend them)
Opeth - Tool - Ephel Duath - Cynic
Quote by Nietsche
Not really, I argue with my friends all the time, although it's never over personal stuff, mostly politics and wether or not you can stuff the contents of a lunchbox into a can of relentless.

That's not quite the same. It doesn't work unless it's close friends.
i've read the book too, and how it explains it in the book, is that if you want to make someone your friend and influence them, don't argue with them, just display your point clearly, answer they're questions about it, ask you're questions about their point then thats it.

You aren't gonna argue with someone you're trying to make friends with are you?
Quote by DieGarbageMan
i can become erect whilst displeasing women

What a talented person.
Quote by archangels666
No. That's a moronic premise.

Argument is the foundation of free-flowing ideas and understanding. If there were no arguments, people would just become more and more entrenched in their own beliefs that everyone would get hostile when anyone brought anything up, which would only lead to violence.

Although "I see your point," and "Agree to disagree?" are necessities if you want to keep discussions civil. Avoiding arguments isn't a way around them. Learning to argue peacefully is.

Very well put but I think that for the situations that this book is probably catering for then avoiding would probably be the right solution.
By reading this book someone is intending to 'try' to become friends with someone. IMO this wouldn't really work in a long term situation and the reasons for becoming a friend with this person are probably quite shallow and selfish hence would only last as long as it benefits the 'befriender'. Therefore the subject of argument is unlikely to return in the possibly short term relationship.
Maybe I'm looking too far into this and just babbling useless ****.
Opeth - Tool - Ephel Duath - Cynic
*adds "Find and Engage Dale Carnegie in Oral Argumentation" to to-do list*

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by Karvid
The time spent writing a post about using the time spent on reading a book on getting friends could have been used to get more friends.

I also do not possess these creatures.

The time spent writing a post about writing a post using the time spent on reading a book on getting friends could have been used to get more friends.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Argument =/= shouting match. I love having logical arguments.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
That book was written decades ago. You can't "win" an argument, based on hurt feelings if you prove to be right. Sorta like war: you lose either way.

EDIT that's based on his theory, not mine.

Gerry Spence has a much better book, How to Argue and Win Every Time. He focuses on giving someone the power to accept or reject your argument, and appealing to common values.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Last edited by millerdrr at Oct 8, 2009,