To begin with the technique to do pinch harmonics is that after you hit the string immediately you have to touch it very gently, the best way obviously is by using your thumb (picking hand's) after you pluck the string, you want to make it in one single and natural motion

Also you need to find the exact spot to pluck the string depending the fret you're playing, for example, in my guitar if I want to do pinch from my 12th fret I need to pluck around my neck pickup (there may be a couple of other spots though) any other fret BEFORE the 12th I need to move towards the neck and the opposite happens with the frets past the 12th.

After you get the hang of it don't forget to do some bending it sounds nice
Use your bridge pickup, and some distortion. Then work out where the harmonics are by playing them as natural harmonics - pick the string normally, but with your fretting finger lightly touching the string. Gradually move it up towards the bridge and keep picking til you know where the harmonics are.

Then sort out your grip on your pick so you can follow the pick up with the edge of your thumb, and practice, practice, practice. You need to dig in a bit with the pick, but you barely need to touch the string with your thumb.

Practice on open strings at first, then when you get the feel of it try pinches on fretted notes - cos the 'sweet' spot will vary slightly depending on which note you're fretting, and when you're getting the technique down you don't need to be chasing the harmonic up and down the string

Good luck
My guitar teacher taught me to lightly lay the phalanges of my third or second finger on the string behind the pick. Its more useful than using your thumb cause you can do chords once you get it right.
Practice practice practice just like anything else you want to learn vibrato? Practice, want to learn hammer ons? Practice, want to learn pinch harmonics? You gussed it practice !
Yep, it seems like most questions about playing guitar can be answered with PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. I hated hammer ons, pulloffs and trills but now I am pretty decent at them because I practiced them. I hate double stop bends but they have gotten easier because I practice them....Practice! I know its hard when you wanna play your favorite riff at full speed but you must learn to crawl before you walk, walk before you run. Word of the day is PRACTICE!!
My Gear:

B.C. Rich Warlock Bronze Series
Jackson Performer 6
Peavey Vypyr 30
Sanpera II
I've been trying to do these for a good few months now...

I've actually done it once or twice, but i'm still no good!
Maybe the video sin this thread will help me
Once you understand how to do it, it will probably take a whie before you can actually use them at any time. You could also pick them up in a couple of minutes. I'd suggest just practicing, and at some point you'll probably get to some sort of breakthrough and they'll become alot easier.
Quote by rawrimadinosawr
Once you understand how to do it, it will probably take a whie before you can actually use them at any time. You could also pick them up in a couple of minutes. I'd suggest just practicing, and at some point you'll probably get to some sort of breakthrough and they'll become alot easier.

Not true takes lots of practice like anything else.