So I watched some awesome videos on how to do the awesome Dimebag Darrell (RIP ) squeals, and they made it look pretty easy: face the trem bar away from you, push down, fret NH, let it come back up...

My only question is this, since my roomies are still sleeping and I don't want to wake them up with terrifying squeals: I'm doing this on an ESP DJ 600 and when I push down the bar when it's facing away from me, the strings tighten. I'm assuming this has to be true for all tremolo's since it's physics, but I wanted to make sure, because on the vids the pitch becomes higher as the bar is let off, which I thought would be backwards if the strings were actually loosening as the bar was being released.

So that's my question: are you supposed to be tightening or loosening the strings via whammy before fretting the NH and releasing the bar? Thanks to anyone who answers.
Washburn WI66 Pro E Celtic Cross (1 of 48!)
Washburn WI66 Pro Honeyburst
Takamine EG334SC Acoustic-Electric
Peavey XXX 120W All Tube Half Stack
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Vox Snakecharmer Compressor
Digitech XP100 Whammy Wah
Your supposed to loosen and then bring up followed by a slight vibrato on the bar.
If you want real dimeharmonics,Do a pinch or artificial harmonic.

EDIT: if this helps, do the harmonic first then do it, I think that was part of your question.
Last edited by stalestrings at Oct 8, 2009,
Pressing the whammy bar down does raise the pitch if its facing away from you. Ive seen some Dime squeal videos, and he calls that the "Vai trick" i think. If your pressing down when the bar is facing towards the neck, it loosens the strings. I think Dime also had at least pne Whammy pedal, which is a pretty powerful pitch-shifting pedal. He might be playing around with that, but idk for sure.
see that's odd, because all the videos on youtube show the trem bar being pushed down, and that causes my strings to tighten, raising the pitch. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to figure it out when I can play around on my amp a bit, but already this helps, because that's what I thought I was supposed to do: loosen the strings and then bring it up while I'm fretting the harmonic

EDIT: ^ thanks, but I'm pretty sure he still does these without the use of a whammy pedal. I have access to one, but I'm pretty sure you can do great ones with just a guitar + amp.
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Last edited by MadMudgeN at Oct 8, 2009,
Yeah, loosen, and as you come back up hit the Harmonic of choice. Then continue to raise and tighten, adding wild vibrato.
Thanks silence, I'll try that when I can, because I was pretty sure that was the way to do it; it's odd that it shows them all dumping the whammy bar when it's facing away from them on the vids though; a tad misleading.
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Do a pinch. You lightly brush your thumb against a string while picking at the same time.

That's what I do, without really thinking about it. I don't think the trem bar by itself can really create this sound, just add some vibrato to it.
Quote by MadMudgeN
Thanks silence, I'll try that when I can, because I was pretty sure that was the way to do it; it's odd that it shows them all dumping the whammy bar when it's facing away from them on the vids though; a tad misleading.

No worries! Yeah, I'd always have the bar pointing up the neck, pushing down to loosen, and pulling up to tighten. Seems easier to me that way
Dime squels are easy, first you dive bomb the wammy then do a harmonic on any string while pulling back on the wammy all the way, its simple, but takes a bit of pratice to get used to.

I can do this very effectivly on a standard trem, so your floyed should do it better.
Silence I agree; I just pulled some off (they are easy ethan, thanks for your contribution ), and they really aren't that hard. I was just confused a bit by the way the technique was shown on the videos versus the way I was understanding what was actually occurring to create such a sound.

Marrow, I thought I'd let you know, you're wrong; if you do a natural harmonic and use the whammy bar to tighten the strings after dumping them, you get exactly the sounds featured at the end of Cemetery Gates. Yes, artificial harmonics are deliciously squealy, but not the same...
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Quote by MadMudgeN
see that's odd, because all the videos on youtube show the trem bar being pushed down, and that causes my strings to tighten, raising the pitch. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to figure it out when I can play around on my amp a bit, but already this helps, because that's what I thought I was supposed to do: loosen the strings and then bring it up while I'm fretting the harmonic

EDIT: ^ thanks, but I'm pretty sure he still does these without the use of a whammy pedal. I have access to one, but I'm pretty sure you can do great ones with just a guitar + amp.

That's because Dime faced his bar away and then pulled up on it, which loosened the strings and lowered their pitch. He didn't push the bar down at first, he let it go back to its neutral point and then pushed down.

Think about it. Normally you'd have the bar facing toward the headstock and push down to make the strings lower in pitch. If you face the bar the other way, you have to pull it away from the body to make the bridge move in the same direction. Whammy bars work based on the bridge, not the bar itself.

I'd recommend practicing Dime squeals with your bar in the traditional position first, facing toward the headstock. This will help you get the left hand movements down more easily (which is the most important part). Dime faced his bar away from the headstock mostly for show, not function.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
So, do you hit a note first, divebomb it, then pull it back up and hit a natural harmonic on the way up?
Quote by GoldfishMoon
So, do you hit a note first, divebomb it, then pull it back up and hit a natural harmonic on the way up?

youre supposed to do a pinch harmonic

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
Quote by glenthemann
youre supposed to do a pinch harmonic

No, the "Dime squeal" is what he said. It's flicking an open string with the left hand, dumping the bar, and hitting a natural harmonic like the 5th fret on the way back up.

Edit - Here it is from the man himself.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Last edited by DaddyTwoFoot at Oct 8, 2009,
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
No, the "Dime squeal" is what he said. It's flicking an open string with the left hand, dumping the bar, and hitting a natural harmonic like the 5th fret on the way back up.

Edit - Here it is from the man himself.

Thanks for posting this brother

Cheers
Quote by Marrowoflife
Do a pinch. You lightly brush your thumb against a string WHILE PICKING AT THE SAME TIME.
That's what I do, without really thinking about it. I don't think the trem bar by itself can really create this sound, just add some vibrato to it.

Picking not necessary