For an example riff, here's one of the several riffs from 'The Dark Eternal Night':

|-------------------------------------|
|--6-----------4-----------2---------|
|----4---5-4-----2---3-2-----1-0---|
|------0-----0-----0-----0--------0-|

------------------------------------------|
--6-----------4-----------2---------------|
----4---5-4-----2---3-2-----1-0---4-------|
------0-----0-----0-----0-------0----3-2-0-|

How can I clean up my tone so it doesn't sound all muddy as I skip the strings?
Newbie of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join!
lift up your fingers(left hand) slighty to mute the strings after you play the notes
Rattle Your Goddamn Head!
Last edited by kaos572 at Oct 8, 2009,
Quote by kaos572
lift up your fingers(left hand) slighty to mute the strings after you play the notes
This.

If you use a pick that's pretty much the only way, but if you play fingerstyle you can use the fingers of your right hand to mute the unused strings.

I play fingerstyle and what I do is this: Say I'm playing on the third string (on a four string bass). I "roll" the finger I'm using over to rest barely on the first and second strings, muting them. Every time I pluck the string the finger I plucked with follows through and comes to rest on the fourth string, muting it.

I don't find this comfortable, but a lot of bassists rest their thumb on the string lower than the one they're playing on (if they're playing the second string, they place it on the third string).

Another thing I do for simple right-hand stuff is I rest the unused fingers of the right hand on the string lower than the one I'm playing on.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
It will take time and practice to get string skipping to sound clean. Apart from leaving notes ringing by accident, there's sympathetic vibration (which is harder to stop if you're trying to play fast and leaping about the strings) and accidentally brushing other strings because you're playing fast.

Practice, practice, etc.