Here at uni with a suite of 8 people, portability/not being to loud is obviously a must. I currently own the VOX AD50VT; i spend most of my time on its "US High Gain" and "UK Modern channels with the gain at about 3 o clock.

What amp should I go with? I am currently looking at the Roland Micro Cube and the VOX DA5, both of which seem solid; the problem is, the Roland supposedly has an incredibly bad speaker that does poorly at mid-high volumes but does heavy lead tones rather well. The VOX, on the other hand, seems to be a higher quality amp, but does not do heavier sounds well (incidentally, does anyone know how it compares to the ADVT series on heavy sounds)?

Thanks in advance for the advice, and if you have any alternate ideas for small amps that can sound good at low volumes for under $150, let me know!

PS I can't really try out amps because we're not allowed cars and there are no stores that sell guitars + accessories around here.
For openers, a good stompbox is more than enough for a heavy sound at bedroom levels. You might need a gutsier amp for gigging, but even my Crate 'vintage tube' did metal well at dormroom levels with a stompbox. So I vote Vox.

I always recommend www.olcircuits.com for stompboxes. Mark, the owner, makes some killer stompboxes that are actually based on big amps, and he's really meticulous about his work. $160 might seem like a lot for a distortion pedal (even a made-to-order one), but everyone I've know that owns one - including myself - says it was one of the best purcahses they ever made. I used a Mesa 50 Cal+ when i was gigging, which is basically a recto with a solid-state rectifier. I sold it when I stopped playing out with a band, and got one of Mark's SLO-100 pedals. The Soldano SLO-100 uses basically a higher-gain version of the 50 Cal+'s circuit. Mark even changed some resistors on the pedal to slightly lower the gain. Played through a tube amp with a good 12" speaker, it sounds almost exactly like my 50 Cal did, and it's not nearly as likely to get me evicted.

Lastly ... what the hell college doesn't let you have a car?! Is that a freshman-only rule?
May look at heaphone amps, imo it would be the best thing to do. Maybe buy some computer speakers with it so can play without headphones when you want
Thank you for the prompt responses!

A big factor for me is portability; I really would like the ability to plug n' play, if you will; my only complaint with the stompbox solution (which is a good one, I think) is that I will have to find two free outlets in my room and dedicate a certain amount of floorspace to cables, pedal, etc.). Is the VOX <i>that</i> much better than the microcube (i.e. in terms of its ability to hang with its cousins in the ADVT series); if the quality difference is really that big, then I guess I may have to sacrifice some portability that would come with the microcube.
Quote by theycallmesmith
Thank you for the prompt responses!

A big factor for me is portability; I really would like the ability to plug n' play, if you will; my only complaint with the stompbox solution (which is a good one, I think) is that I will have to find two free outlets in my room and dedicate a certain amount of floorspace to cables, pedal, etc.). Is the VOX <i>that</i> much better than the microcube (i.e. in terms of its ability to hang with its cousins in the ADVT series); if the quality difference is really that big, then I guess I may have to sacrifice some portability that would come with the microcube.

This is the exact reason I recommend a headphone amp, it small, only need one jack, a pair of headphones. Or maybe try to get a used POD 2.0, it can be used a headphone amp, and it has all the effects the vypyr has.