Stock guitars very rarely have scalloped fretboards, it's normally a custom job
ohai little sig.
I know that the Ibanez JEM comes with the scalloped frets on the 15 down, but the Ritchie Blackmore sig strat comes with scalloped frets.
what exactly is the benefit of a scalloped fretboard?
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Quote by Lovecannon

No resistance in bends and vibrato since you never touch the fretboard. You get similar results with tall frets.
Quote by JELIFISH19
No resistance in bends and vibrato since you never touch the fretboard. You get similar results with tall frets.

Yeah.. I've played guitars with scalloped frets, it makes bends easier and legato as well but it feels really really really uncomfortable to me.
Quote by Lovecannon

you learn to fret softer, helps to play faster. not for those who play a lot of chords. you have to be pretty precise with pressure too.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
I know Carvin's can have scalloped... but that's sorta custom.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by Skynyrd890
I know Carvin's can have scalloped... but that's sorta custom.

I´ve never heard of Carvin scalloping at the factory.

Scallops are nice for pitch control: vibrato and bending is a lot more precise. It´s also just an entirely different feel. Some people like it some don´t.

Scallops do NOT make you play faster. They may correct any ****ty technique that you shouldn´t have had in the first place but they do NOT make you play faster at all.

I play scalloped fretboards most of the time and when I switch to a non-scalloped fretboard I can play faster because of how much easier the feel is... if that´s what is meant by play faster?
Quote by darkcheef
I know that the Ibanez JEM comes with the scalloped frets on the 15 down

You know nothing at all.
I have a VERY low budget guitar I found on ebay that has a custom scalloped fretboard. The first thing, you really have to know where to set chord or scale fingering otherwise you go out of key easily. Also, I agree with the bending, legato, etc. However, I don't think I can play faster. I know I can scream on my other normal boards. 2 cents.
Yesterday is History; Tomorrow is a Mystery; but Today is a Gift; That is why it is called The Present.
I've played a scalloped custom strat, and I really liked it. I felt like I was in complete control of everything I played. It belongs to a guy called Dr Ika. Amazing guitar player, and I'm sure he'd shed some light on it. He's also good friends with Frank Gambale.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by darkcheef
I know that the Ibanez JEM comes with the scalloped frets on the 15 down, but the Ritchie Blackmore sig strat comes with scalloped frets.

The Ritchie Blackmore one is more gradually scalloped though, so that it's almost flat around the 1st fret. So I don't know if that counts that much.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Baby Joel
Most guitars with scalloped fretboards are going to signature models/custom shop.

Yeah, the reason I started this thread in the first place was because I played a Malmsteen strat at my local shop and was pretty much blown away by the scalloped fretboard, and now I'm looking for a cheaper alternative.
Quote by darkcheef

frets 21-24, if you`re gonna state something factual make sure you know the facts.
Quote by 1010011010
Yeah, the reason I started this thread in the first place was because I played a Malmsteen strat at my local shop and was pretty much blown away by the scalloped fretboard, and now I'm looking for a cheaper alternative.

I ended up just scalloping all of my own because I could not find anything worthwhile. It takes a really long time but it´s worth it.
Quote by ibanezgod1973

frets 21-24, if you`re gonna state something factual make sure you know the facts.

Sorry I'm not a ibanez *****
Quote by 1010011010
I would do it on my own, but I'm not too keen on the idea of permanently damaging my fretboard if ever I mess up.

Take it to a lutherer so you can blame them if they stuff it up. It would probally cost alot though.
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Well, you could always buy the Ritchie Blackmore strat. Not the same type of scalloping, but I believe it's $900 or so less than the Yngwie model.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54