Hey UG,

Tonight I've been having some pot and wire issues with my Les Paul Studio, and I have to practice for my lesson Tuesday, and my Yamaha's bridge is cracked so im left without a guitar to practice on, until my LP gets fixed. This finally gave me the thought of how important a back up guitar is, which is why I turn to ask for suggestions.

I play blues and rock. Not looking for anything special, don't plan on gigging with it or anything like that. Really what I have to spend is about $500 dollars USD. (I'd rather it not dig into my amp savings.) I can probably go 50-100 dollars either way. I just need a guitar that plays and sounds pretty good. I prefer a Les Paul, or really anything with humbuckers. P-90's I don't mind either. Not a Strat person, unless it's loaded with humbuckers in the bridge and neck (which really defeats the purpose of a Strat anyways)

Was looking into an Epi Standard, I could also get a Epi Custom around here for about the same price used, as a new Epi Standard. So any feedback on those would be great.

Thanks
Gear:
-2008 Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-1 mini stack
I would start by investing $15 on a soldering iron and some 60/40 flux core solder. You can learn in a day by practicing on junk appliances and scrap wire. With a bit of care you will have your Gibby up and running in two days.

For a back up Les Paul style guitar I would suggest something like an Agile AL2000 or AL3000. Of course you can find plenty of good quality used guitars on the market. There are several terrific Jackson, ESP, Schecter, Gibson, and Ibanez guitars listed on my local craigslist today for under $500.

Laziest Bassist Alive
Keep your gig. I'm sleeping.
Quote by LowEndSlacker
I would start by investing $15 on a soldering iron and some 60/40 flux core solder. You can learn in a day by practicing on junk appliances and scrap wire. With a bit of care you will have your Gibby up and running in two days.

For a back up Les Paul style guitar I would suggest something like an Agile AL2000 or AL3000. Of course you can find plenty of good quality used guitars on the market. There are several terrific Jackson, ESP, Schecter, Gibson, and Ibanez guitars listed on my local craigslist today for under $500.

I actually have soldering equipment, I've just had bad past experiance with it

I'll check out my Craigslist for anything near my area that seems resonable.

What Schecter models do you suggest?
Gear:
-2008 Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-1 mini stack
Post an ad on craigslist asking for the type of guitar you want and go a little low on how much you are willing to spend. I got a great deal by doing this the other day, the guy even delivered to me.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Quote by IdntNedUrCvlWar
Here's an Epi I found. Seems like a pretty good deal for a Standard?

http://nh.craigslist.org/msg/1412487687.html

that does seem like a great deal. it's not something i'd jump at if i were looking around for a new guitar, but for a back up it looks great. my only problem with it would be that you already have an LP. i'd want some diversity, but thats up to you!
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip