Hey whats up..
I started playing last year, I know I shouldn't be even thinking about sweeping but I really like this technique and the motion felt easy for me (even though the motion is the easier part)

Well, the thing is.
Can you hear my recordings and tell me how/what to improve? Don't be that harsh, I started playing last year..
Last edited by IHeartMyCrybaby at Oct 8, 2009,
They arent too bad ,sound ok to me ,its just that your volumne on your guitar seems quite low ,the tones ok ,but the backing track is really loud ,like the drums over power your sound so its hard to hear ,you should record them again without a backing track to really test but for playing for a year Id say there pretty good. What kind of shapes are learning?
Your sweeps are very good for having only played for one year. However, I can tell that you need some work on fluidity. Every so often you can hear a "gap" or "break" in between notes. It's probably when you turn your hand and begin picking in the other direction. I can also tell from your picking at the end that you need work on your rhythm.

Remember, (now for the ultimate Guitar Technique forum cliche, drum roll please...) speed is a byproduct of accuracy. If you can't do it cleanly and accurately slowly, what chance do you have of doing it cleanly and accurately swiftly? If you practice something 1000 times with poor technique, that 1001th time isn't going to magically be perfect. You need to do it perfectly from the start and build upon that. That may sound like a tall order, but if you slow anything down enough, you can play it perfectly the first time.

I do want to stress however, that sweeps are not the be-all end-all of techniques. I'm not saying that you feel this way, I just want to nip it in the bud. A lot of guitarists get so caught up in sweep picking early on because it's cool that they ignore fundamental techniques that are ultimately more useful. I would recommend that you emphasize your alternate picking and basic hammer-ons and pull-offs more than sweeping.

Edit - Also, if you can, please post a video. Sound clips are great if that's all you can do, but video is more useful because we can see how your hands are moving. If you can't provide a video, post sound clips that have just a metronome instead of a backing track. It would be even more useful if you had a track that was clean and one that was distorted. Remember, the more you give us, the more we can give you.

Edit - Edited for minor typographical errors, content is the same.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Last edited by DaddyTwoFoot at Oct 8, 2009,
Quote by Joe310707
They arent too bad ,sound ok to me ,its just that your volumne on your guitar seems quite low ,the tones ok ,but the backing track is really loud ,like the drums over power your sound so its hard to hear ,you should record them again without a backing track to really test but for playing for a year Id say there pretty good. What kind of shapes are learning?

Yeah I probably will, imma buy new strings tomorrow and do them without backing track.

Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Your sweeps are very good for having only played for one year. However, I can tell that you need some work on fluidity. Every so often you can hear a "gap" or "break" in between notes. It's probably when you turn your hand and begin picking in the other direction. I can also tell from your picking at the end that you need work on your rhythm.

Remember, (now for the ultimate Guitar Technique forum cliche, drum roll please...) speed is a byproduct of accuracy. If you can't do it cleanly and accurately slowly, what chance do you have of doing it cleanly and accurately swiftly. If you practice something 1000 times with poor technique, that 1001th time isn't going to magically be perfect. You need to do it perfectly from the start and build upon that. That may sound like a tall order, but if you slow anything down enough, you can play it perfectly the first time.

I do want to stress however, that sweeps are not the be-all end-all of techniques. I'm not saying that you feel this way, I just want to nip it in the bud. A lot of guitarists get so caught up in sweep picking early on because it's cool that they ignore fundamental techniques that are ultimately more useful. I would recommend that you emphasize your alternate picking and basic hammer-ons and pull-offs more than sweeping.

Edit - Also, if you can, please post a video. Sound clips are great if that's all you can do, but video is more useful because we can see how your hands are moving. If you can't provide a video, post sound clips that have just a metronome instead of a backing track. It would be even more useful if you had a track that was clean and one that was distorted. Remember, the more you give us, the more we can give you.

DAMN I forgot to delete that when mixing haha I was only going to play the sweeps so don't listen to that at the end . You're right mate . Thanks for the feedback. I was going to upload the 2nd one with a metronome only (it's selkies by BTBAM) but I used a backing track because drums are way too complicated and I was afraid to get lost.

The funny thing is that I couldn't hear the backing track and got lost anyways
Last edited by IHeartMyCrybaby at Oct 8, 2009,
yeah i agress with DaddyTwoFoot ,dont stress too much about sweeps ,youve got the basics down and in time theyl naturally develop as long as you pratice them a little every so often ,then you visibly notice that youve improved.The main thing with sweeps is learning what they are and when to use them ,best practicing most of the shapes (major,minor,dimished) in every key.
Quote by Joe310707
yeah i agress with DaddyTwoFoot ,dont stress too much about sweeps ,youve got the basics down and in time theyl naturally develop as long as you pratice them a little every so often ,then you visibly notice that youve improved.The main thing with sweeps is learning what they are and when to use them ,best practicing most of the shapes (major,minor,dimished) in every key.

I enjoy sweeping arpeggios, pretty much ALL my songs have sweeping("progessive metalcore sweeps" was composed by me, is the intro song of my band). The 2nd test is "Selkies" by BTBAM and it was my first take and couldn't hear the backing track

Thanks for the feedback mate