I know how often the term unique or original pops up when describing a band, and very, very rarely does the band in question do the term justice. But one cannot refer to Czech legends, Root, in any other way. Everything, from their early black metal to their mid-era "mystical" metal is just so unique, and so well put together.

Root were a band that formed towards the end of the first wave of black metal (around '87). For three years the band released some of the most evil and well constructed black metal of the time. The music is often compared to early Master's Hammer in the sense that both Czech pioneers focused on the actual song writing, not the atmosphere that their Norwegian brethren sought after.

Root continued in the way of excellent black metal until '96s opus, Kärgeräs. The album proved to be a drastic change in style, truly for the better. The band's new sound is just indescribable. The band blends attributes of doom metal, folk, epic metal, traditional metal, dark metal, and some bits of death and black metal for an original blend of music. While my description makes the band's sound seem like a mess, it's truly some of the most well executed music I've ever heard. 1999 saw the release of what most consider the band's Magnum Opus, The Book. It took the ideas of Kargeras and built upon them further. The band continued producing classics up until around 2003. Their two latest releases just seem to be a mess. It can clearly be seen that the band still has some grasp of their old ideas, but it sounds confused and worn out.

The best part of Root is the ever-charismatic "Big Boss". The man possesses the greatest and most moving voice I've ever heard. Charismatic does not even begin to describe his epic baritone voice. Nothing less charismatic is to be expected from the leader of the Church of Satan in the Czech Republic. The man's grasp on the English language is almost unbelievable. The lyrics are just so... arcane.

TL;DR - ****ing amazing well put together music that escapes accurate description.

Pisen Pro Satana, this exemplifies the band's early sound. This song also sounds like Burzum's War. Only it predates anything Varg ever wrote...hmmm

Mystical Words of the Wise, a song that shows the band's growth and shows their new sound well.
Quote by \Powerslave/

Pisen Pro Satana, this exemplifies the band's early sound. This song also sounds like Burzum's War. Only it predates anything Varg ever wrote...hmmm

Yeah and War blows it out of the water in every single way possible.

I would've sworn you already made a Root thread a couple months back. Root is a hit or miss for me, great moments with a few "floundering about aimlessly" moments unfortunately.

The good moments are great though.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Quote by VampireGoldfish
Yeah and War blows it out of the water in every single way possible.

I would've sworn you already made a Root thread a couple months back. Root is a hit or miss for me, great moments with a few "floundering about aimlessly" moments unfortunately.

The good moments are great though.

Varg. Fanboi.

I like the demo version of Pisen Pro Satana a smidge more than War. I never made a Root thread. Atleast, I don't think I did. If I did it was never very successful.
Better examples of songs from them?

The Message of the Time was a killer song, and they have a couple others that were pretty good. But overall they were ok.

You make them sound absolutely mind blowing, and now I just seem like i'm missing out on something
Quote by severed-metal
Better examples of songs from them?

The Message of the Time was a killer song, and they have a couple others that were pretty good. But overall they were ok.

You make them sound absolutely mind blowing, and now I just seem like i'm missing out on something

The Wall

First 3 songs of Kargeras

Hit and miss for some. I adore the band.
Quote by \Powerslave/
Varg. Fanboi.

Being a fan of absolute cathartic perfection is fine by me.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
The Book has still been kicking my ass these last few days.

Power, where should I go from here album-wise? I'm less into the BM type of stuff but I still highly enjoy a few select BM bands.
Matthew 5:5 - "Blessed are the meek: for they shall Beherit the earth."
their latter stuff sounds fun, the first link did nothing for me and...
hahaha...

In the dark Vagina of the Space
Penis of the Life pulsates
Frantic Sperm hitting……
The ovaries of Black Holes.

[yeah yeah i sound like a kid]
Quote by Penisaur
The Book has still been kicking my ass these last few days.

Power, where should I go from here album-wise? I'm less into the BM type of stuff but I still highly enjoy a few select BM bands.

Kärgeräs, definitely for stuff that's like The Book. Also check out Blackie's band, Cales. Their first 3, especially the debut, are in the style of the Book. If you want some doom inspired material check out The Temple in the Underworld.
Root rule, they were suposed to be playing over here with Gosple of the Horns & Dead Congregation in november but pulled out...
La mayyitan ma qadirun yatabaqqa sarmadi
Fa idha yaji' al-shudhdhadh fa-l-maut qad yantahi

Raptoral judgement upon all our sins
This placid island of ignorance
The Book is deadly.......everything else Ive heard from them ranged from deadly to listenable, so some investigation is needed!
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Their black metal stuff just seems a bit childish to me but their latter stuff I quite like, definitely worth checking out but Power... you seem to be a tad over the top

"Ein Herz von flimmernden Hirngespinsten,
Ohne Halt und ohne Boden.
Feuer des Winters,
Herr der Träume,
Vater aller Türen: Öffne!"
Paysage d'Hiver - Ich schreite
I think they're really good. Favourite albums are The Book & Hell's Symphony
Quote by craig-sansum
+10000000000000000000000000000000000

Quote by Sanitarium91
Liking the cosmic toad vocals is a sign of exquisite taste, so good on you!
Quote by Jonny92
Their black metal stuff just seems a bit childish to me but their latter stuff I quite like, definitely worth checking out but Power... you seem to be a tad over the top

Your mother is over the top.
Root and Master's Hammer are quite similar in that both have been grossly overrated by scenester clowns who mistake novelty for quality. Strip away the carnival music theatrics from both bands and what you've got left is mediocre heavy metal played by morons with hilarious accents.
Quote by Sein und Zeit
Root and Master's Hammer are quite similar in that both have been grossly overrated by scenester clowns who mistake novelty for quality. Strip away the carnival music theatrics from both bands and what you've got left is mediocre heavy metal played by morons with hilarious accents.

I love people like you, who live to troll on the internet.
Indeed, at least conservationalist is ok, he's just an idiot.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Quote by \Powerslave/
I love people like you, who live to troll on the internet.

I tell the truth for its own sake, not to get my jollies. It is not coincidental that these bands were snickered at by serious black metal aficionados and embraced largely by the Opeth/Green Carnation/Satan Stole My Teddybear faux-prog fanboys. They were laughable bands making laughable music, albeit with the integrity born of base stupidity, rather than the actively condescending calculation of profiteers.
I don't want to derail Powerslave's thread (thanks for the rec by the way, the book is awesome), but what would you Mr. "serious black metal aficionado" recommend then; because thus far, you're a fecking idiot. Music is not objective, it's not, so stop acting like it is you son of a window dresser.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Quote by Sein und Zeit
I tell the truth for its own sake, not to get my jollies. It is not coincidental that these bands were snickered at by serious black metal aficionados and embraced largely by the Opeth/Green Carnation/Satan Stole My Teddybear faux-prog fanboys. They were laughable bands making laughable music, albeit with the integrity born of base stupidity, rather than the actively condescending calculation of profiteers.

I really wish I could be like you. I wish I could pretend like I'm part of the cult black metal elites, while I still live in my mother's basement. I wish I could spend my whole day analyzing everybit of Satanic Blood whilst wondering why my only companions were my left and right.
Quote by \Powerslave/
I really wish I could be like you. I wish I could pretend like I'm part of the cult black metal elites, while I still live in my mother's basement. I wish I could spend my whole day analyzing everybit of Satanic Blood whilst wondering why my only companions were my left and right.

Instead, I suppose you'll just have to make do with obsessively posting on internet forums to validate your existence and reflexively acting like a twat anytime someone displays a less than sexual enjoyment of the bands you like. Enjoy!
Quote by The Virtuoso
I don't want to derail Powerslave's thread (thanks for the rec by the way, the book is awesome), but what would you Mr. "serious black metal aficionado" recommend then; because thus far, you're a fecking idiot. Music is not objective, it's not, so stop acting like it is you son of a window dresser.

Sure, music is subjective in the sense that evaluations are observer-dependent. But you fail to take into account that some observers are more capable than others.
Quote by Sein und Zeit
Instead, I suppose you'll just have to make do with obsessively posting on internet forums to validate your existence and reflexively acting like a twat anytime someone displays a less than sexual enjoyment of the bands you like. Enjoy!

Your grasp of the English language seems to be just as firm as the grasp on your penis since you seem to have the compulsive need to reach for a thesaurus every time you post. I take it you understand the concept of irony very well.

I don't care if you hate a band I love. I honestly don't. You give off an aura of pseudo-intelligence and of faux superiority. Music is purely subject. You are no more "elite" than anyone else.
Why is it that defensive little scene kiddies believe implicitly that any word with more than two syllables must require a "thesaurus"? Should I chalk it up to substandard education, or merely to sadly deficient intellects?
You're right. I'm a scene kiddy with a deficient intellect. I know nothing. Noone is as great as you.
Quote by \Powerslave/
You're right. I'm a scene kiddy with a deficient intellect. I know nothing. Noone is as great as you.

Now we're getting somewhere.
Shits and Twats aside, let's all grow up a bit

I've looked a bit more into this band and their album 'The Book' and I like what I'm hearing a lot, especially Remember Me, man that's an awesome song

"Ein Herz von flimmernden Hirngespinsten,
Ohne Halt und ohne Boden.
Feuer des Winters,
Herr der Träume,
Vater aller Türen: Öffne!"
Paysage d'Hiver - Ich schreite
Sein und Zeit let us continue you this on your profile so as not to further disrupt the thread. Check your comments.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Really regret missing these guys a year or two back. Hell Symphony and The Temple in the Underworld are really making me wish they'd come back.
Never got into them as much as others did.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one