so i thought to make a audio preamp tube comparison clip of each one in my marshall vs100. granted its not a real all tube amp it reacts very well to each tubes tonality traits so it worked out perfect for me personally.

here is the order of the the tubes in the clips, i made 6 clips.
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/surface54/music/all/play713817

1. USED 18 month old SOVTEK LPS
2. Tung Sol reissue 30 hours
3. BRAND NEW SOVTEL LPS
4. BRAND NEW JJs ECC83
5. BRAND NEW SOVTEK WA
6. UNSURE USAGE CHINESE NO NAME 12AX7

then it repeats without interruption.

my opinion, i love the LPS, it has a big non scooped mid range and alot of high detail.
the tung sol for me is in close 2nd but it has a little less mid range. the used 18 month old LPS is just as good as the JJ to my ears., and the JJ seems to have less volume too.
the WA sound ok, and the chinese no name sounds just ok too. fine for repairs id assume.

im sure everybody's sound system will make them sound different too so i dont expect everyone to have the same opinions as me. there are alot of factors that can change the tone but i didnt change any eq on my amp or anything. just swapped out tubes and let them sit on for 2 min before i recorded them.
Last edited by surface54 at Oct 8, 2009,
I liked the Chinese. It seemed to sound broader and more saturated.Tung Sol is a second, and the Sovtek didn't sound that bad, but was kinda average for me.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
I liked the Chinese. It seemed to sound broader and more saturated.Tung Sol is a second, and the Sovtek didn't sound that bad, but was kinda average for me.

Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
i gotta give it to the tungsol... sounded very meaty.
couldn't tell a difference between the LPS's, WA was about the same with a bit more presence.
JJ's seemed very articulate, but a bit thin compared to any of the before mentioned (except maybe the WA).
chinese sounded slghtly muddy compared to the others.

mainly though, i heard your amp, and the differences between the ax7's was for the most part negligible (could also be due to the fact that i'm listening to an MP3 instead of the live room sound). what's your EQ looking like for this demo?
Quote by GrisKy
i gotta give it to the tungsol... sounded very meaty.
couldn't tell a difference between the LPS's, WA was about the same with a bit more presence.
JJ's seemed very articulate, but a bit thin compared to any of the before mentioned (except maybe the WA).
chinese sounded slghtly muddy compared to the others.

mainly though, i heard your amp, and the differences between the ax7's was for the most part negligible (could also be due to the fact that i'm listening to an MP3 instead of the live room sound). what's your EQ looking like for this demo?

yeah your probably right that its negligible. the difference would only really be known to me in the recordings...and if i eq the amp different then a different tube doesn't really matter in the amp.

i run a 31band eq/bbe maxcom in the fxloop, i use JB bridge. im loving the tone, these samples would sound even better if i layer it two more times. it starts to get really marshally then.
actually, i quite like the tones you had on your page. i'm just sayin' that it's the nature of mp3's to squash out alot of valuable harmonic content that's really the difference maker when it comes to judging tube characteristics... or sound in general.
Quote by GrisKy
actually, i quite like the tones you had on your page. i'm just sayin' that it's the nature of mp3's to squash out alot of valuable harmonic content that's really the difference maker when it comes to judging tube characteristics... or sound in general.

well actually the mp3 is pretty accurate cause i use a DI box for the guitar, so after the box it goes into my sound card, then i hard pan each layer. so the tone is really close to what i hear. if miced it then it may change more after its gets mp3 compressed.
when i play through my 4x12 cab the sound is actually alot different, through the cab sounds soooo much better, the bass is bigger and the highs are tamed more.
im not good at micing so i invested into a DI box.
micing is a tricky bitch, but def worth the effort. then again, a nice DI is a very useful thing to have around!

i recently got to hear a few guitar tracks double micing an engl 4x12 with a pair of SM7's that sounded brutal and HUGE! one of them had the filter removed... i'd love to try that soon.

i've been away from my rig recently, and i've been dying with nothing but direct lines and plugins... ugh! can't wait to get back to the real deal!
I'd like to hear some EH tubes. Never heard them before and I am wondering if they're worth the moolah.
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
IMO the Tung Sols sound pretty good, but the difference between the tubes is negligible.
Stromberg Montreux
Schecter Hellraiser 7 String
Mesa Boogie "Son of Boogie" 100W Head
Mesa Boogie 112 Cab with a Celestion Vintage 30
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Death By Audio Fuzz War

Quote by SG310user
I'd like to hear some EH tubes. Never heard them before and I am wondering if they're worth the moolah.

ya mee too...if you buy me some ill record them
Quote by nick11link
IMO the Tung Sols sound pretty good, but the difference between the tubes is negligible.

right on, thanks for the feedback, cause ive been thinking that the sound was less than im making it out to be too. ive even considered recently to swap tubes for layering rhythms, then i though man the sound is negligible so whats the point. doing this thread has helped me not be so OCD over a tiny change in sound!
I was surprised that with the compression of the UG player I could actually hear the difference! I liked the tung sol because of the top end and thought the JJ's sounded like they were playing through a wool blanket.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
I was surprised that with the compression of the UG player I could actually hear the difference! I liked the tung sol because of the top end and thought the JJ's sounded like they were playing through a wool blanket.

well thats good news that you can hear the difference on UG media players.
on my main music system i can really hear the difference, if i close my eyes and just let it play in a loop i can really really hear it. but overall the only difference is maybe some high freq detail. unless the JJ comes in and wrecks the tube party.
rhythms would probably benefit with a little JJ in the mix so it doesnt sound too bright, but then if i did that i would probably over time end not liking it in the mix, it just lacks detail but i understand its purpose as a tube, to tame bright amps.

thanks for your feedback, its helping me narrow down to the tube im going to use.
the new LPS is still in there but the tungsol might have a new home.
my search for the best tube for this specific amp is close to being over.

its fight between the LPS vs TUNGSOL...round two ***ding***

should i make a bigger clip with more of a complete riff comparing the two?
Last edited by surface54 at Oct 9, 2009,
I was surprisingly impressed... I never thought the VS100 was that good. Nice.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
I personally favoured the JJ's?! But I was offered a quad set for really cheap lately, so that could be why
no prob i like doing stuff like this. it makes me feel good when im my own comparisons i may be helping someone else too.
im sure the amps natural sound reacts to tubes differently. so it may not be the end all test unfortunately.
now that you guys have got me listening more and more to the tungsol it has a better process to it. it really does, the LPS is great but sounds a little metallic and broader with less character. hmmmmmmmm
actually, if you're planning on making some more clips, would you mind throwing in a few sustained big chords (open or barred) to see how they handle clarity, and maybe playing a passage that also has a clean part? I think that will help truely judge these tubes.

this is a really great idea by the way! i'm supprised it hasn't been done here before.
Quote by surface54
no prob i like doing stuff like this. it makes me feel good when im my own comparisons i may be helping someone else too.
im sure the amps natural sound reacts to tubes differently. so it may not be the end all test unfortunately.

If there were a be all and end all then we wouldn't have so many tubes available. I use Tung Sol, EHX, SOVTEK, and JJ brand 12X7's depending on placement in the amp and the type of amp, and what tone the customer wants when I'm finished. There is no 1 size fits all when it comes to tone. Your test is very well done!
Checkout the TubeStore.com I use all Tung Sol (Russian) tubes, their EL34's are the best power tubes and their 12AX7's sound great. The Tung Sol EL34 is larger than the usual GrooveTube. You can also use a Jan Phillips 5351 (?) in place of a 12AX7 they have less fizz distortion and allow more push to the power tube distortion. Check out the web site very informative on tubes. All amps are different, one tube might sound better than another, it's all on your amp components or the sound you are looking for. I prefer the Tung Sol tubes. I would never attempt a gear or amp sound check as my guitars and line would sound different than someone elses much less I play a full step detuned.
Quote by FoolDrive
Checkout the TubeStore.com I use all Tung Sol (Russian) tubes, their EL34's are the best power tubes and their 12AX7's sound great. The Tung Sol EL34 is larger than the usual GrooveTube. You can also use a Jan Phillips 5351 (?) in place of a 12AX7 they have less fizz distortion and allow more push to the power tube distortion. Check out the web site very informative on tubes. All amps are different, one tube might sound better than another, it's all on your amp components or the sound you are looking for. I prefer the Tung Sol tubes. I would never attempt a gear or amp sound check as my guitars and line would sound different than someone elses much less I play a full step detuned.

as true as that definately is for all of us, you can still hear their characteristics when compared to other tubes when all other components are controlled.

EDIT: also, great call on the website you provided... some really useful reviews in there!
Last edited by GrisKy at Oct 10, 2009,
Hety surface54, if you wanted to email me an MP3 of your soundclip I could upload it to my website so that people could hear it without all the compression and that would give them a much better idea of tone. If you are interested my email can be found on the contact us page on my site.
JJs best by far.
My Gear
-ESP truckster
-Ibby RG 7 string
-Mesa/Boogie Studio Preamp (Mk2C+ mod)
-Mesa/Boogie 50-50 Stereo Poweramp
-Mesa/Boogie Vertical 2x12 (C90 and EVM)
I liked the tung sol.

This sig is colored just to annoy the UG classic users.

Trying to think of witty things to put in my sig. Message if you have ideas.
two new clips with my marshall if your interested.
there not done by any means, im still working out the song but these are clips and still raw.
the 2nd one is my marshall trying to emulate the 5150 sound imo, very raw but it works.
i had a 5150 and 6262 and didnt like either of them, and if my marshall can get this close then cool!

Conquered energy
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/surface54/music/all/play715023
Marshall emulating 5150 imo
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/surface54/music/all/play715024
Your clips sound really great, man.

Quick question; do you listen to Saosin, by chance? Because "Conquered Energy" had a very Saosin vibe going on in that main riff of yours, it was amazing.
Quote by whiteraven119
Your clips sound really great, man.

Quick question; do you listen to Saosin, by chance? Because "Conquered Energy" had a very Saosin vibe going on in that main riff of yours, it was amazing.

hey thanks man! i appreciate it much!

i will check out Saosin asap