im looking into getting an 8 string bass with a low f# and i was told that i need a cab with a sub woofer. first off, is this true and second what would be a good suggestion
Ibanez SR 505
Brice Defiant 6 lizardburst (soon to have)
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
Boss GT10B (soon to have)
I wouldn't think so...
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
I would suggest getting a 1x15 cab, if not a 1x18, just to get out the lower tones without sounding too bad. I'm not too familiar with cabs that have sub woofers though, never having heard of them.
Low F#, eh?

I would defintely look into getting 1x18" - maybe like SWR Big Ben, and pairing it with something like a 2x12 cab or 4x10.
When going that low you're going to need at least a 1x15 if not a 1x18...i'd suggest the 18. Also, when you use 18" cabs i highly recommend bi-amping with a 2x12 or 4x10...prolly 2x12 with a tweeter would be my fav here....because with the 18 is trying to push out all those other frequencies it can be hard to get rid of the muddy tone.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
I've never really heard anything good about 18 inch cabs apparently you will have trouble hearing yourself on stage with one?
Gear:

Fender Jaguar Bass
Ashdown MAG300H Head
Ashdown 410 T Deep Cab
Epiphone Thunderbird
Squier P/J Bass
SKAK20BA Practice Bass Amp
Quote by Ripper_66
I've never really heard anything good about 18 inch cabs apparently you will have trouble hearing yourself on stage with one?

There are too many variables to say that that is just the 18" speaker's fault.

Either way you should go the bi-amped rig route to get a good tone that will cut through.
Bass is my life.
Get a good 18" cab something really good, swr, carvin etc.
Now biamp and send all your lows to it and all your highs to a 2x10 or similiar. The 18 will be using most of your power so freeing up a 2x10 or similar will give you a better cleaner tone and less lightly to damage speakers. This will defiantly give you an overall better sound.
http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=62330
read the information in this thread, this will explain what i was at in a better more scientific way.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Last edited by fatgoogle at Oct 9, 2009,
There's always the El Whappo Grande. It's a cab with a 21" speaker and a horn/tweeter (don't remember which). They claim it handles F# well, but you're looking at a LOT of money and a LOT of weight to move around. Then again, who am I to talk? I haul an 8x10 around.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.