i'm mic'ing a cab for the first time and i'm having issues with the sound. every time i record it, it sounds like it is miles away. i've moved the mic around and it still sounds far away. i've tried center, off center, axis, and off axis. 2 ft away, 2 inches away, and right up on the grill of the cab and no matter what i do it still sounds like the mic is miles away.

MXL 990/MXL 991/ SURE SM57 mics are the kinds that i've been using going to a presonus firestudio ran through cubase if that helps
are you monitoring through cubase AND your firestudio?

If so, that would be the cause of the issue as you will be hearing zero latency through the presonus and then with latency through cubase at the same time so you are actually listening to two copies of the cab with a delay in between them

Try switching the track monitor button off in cubase to see if the fault persists
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Quote by GisleAune
is it a lot of reverb in your room?

no reverb. hardwood floors yes but i have a rug that covers pretty much the entire floor.

Quote by cuthbertg
are you monitoring through cubase AND your firestudio?

If so, that would be the cause of the issue as you will be hearing zero latency through the presonus and then with latency through cubase at the same time so you are actually listening to two copies of the cab with a delay in between them

Try switching the track monitor button off in cubase to see if the fault persists

i haven't been monitoring at all actually. i have my headphones on and i'm only playing the click and the track without the parts that i'm recording. when i do monitor cubase is running through the firestudio though. there is no actual sound in the room other than the amp though since i have everything going through the headphones
Last edited by vjferrara at Oct 9, 2009,