What do I do if the tonic chord isn't regular.
A standard progression is I IV V I.
For G it'd be GCDG.
What about chords like G minor or Fmaj7?
Moreover what is done if the progression is like I IV Vmaj7 I?
Edit: Oops, I meant to type I IVmaj7 V I not that other one.
Last edited by Zombiechao at Oct 9, 2009,
In a minor key the dominant chord is very often borrowed from the harmonic minor making it i-iv-V in that progression, and I don't know about putting a maj7 in the dominant. If it is diatonic, then it would be a dominant 7 chord. If it is, then it is the same as a regular progression.
RUN!

What's "normal"?
Guitar: Ibanez RG321MH with EMG 85/60
Amp: Peavey 6505+ 1x12 combo
Musical styles: Progressive rock, thrash metal, post-hardcore.
Please explain what you mean by "What do I do?"

You play the chord.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Are you talking about with improvising/writing a melody? Or actually playing the chord progression?
For a major 7th tonic, you change nothing.

For a minor tonic, look at it this way. In C, you have C Dm Em F G Am B°. In Am, you have Am B° C Dm Em F G.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
If nothing changes for a major 7th tonic but things do change for a minor tonic what other tonics change things?
Quote by Zombiechao
If nothing changes for a major 7th tonic but things do change for a minor tonic what other tonics change things?

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by Zombiechao

What "changes" is only regarding the key.

F major is in the key of... F major. F major seven is in this key as well. or f major 9, etc.

F minor is in a totally different key, so it needs to be thought of differently. F minor 7 is also in this key, etc.

The other ones that would technically "change" things would be diminished or augmented chords, but they are seen fairly rarely.
My Gear
Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez RG520QS
'78 Ibanez Les Paul copy
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Fender Telecaster
Vantage Semihollow
Line6 AX2 212 combo modeling amplifier
Quote by Zombiechao
Now I just need to find out how to use diminished and augmented chords as tonics.
You could do that I suppose, but I've never seen it done. To create some tension, you might play a G(#5) in the key of G, but the tonic isn't an augmented chord.