Hey guys, im a lil discouraged because i cant get the songs i play on my guitar to sound like the actual song. Is it all amp or guitar too?
if i get like a vypyr or cube how do i make it sound like the songs i would like to play?
i tryed playing aerosmith and it sounded nothing like it, and like metal too, i tuned it to drop c and tryed to get the best distortion i could but its not even close!!!
im sorry for this random stupid question but im almost giving up on guitar...
can somone give me some insight?
A peavey vypyr would be a good start because it has a lot of effects and distortion styles, so you would get closer with that. the tone for a band is mostly amp.
Gear:
Gibson SG w/ Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
Early 90s Fender MIM Telecaster
Squier VM Jaguar
Ibanez RGD7421
Blackstar HT-100
Avatar Vintage w/ 2 Governors and 2 Swamp Thangs
Ibanez EX
Carvin bx500 w/ Peavey 2x10&1x15
Quote by Fender/marshall
What amp are you using now?

+1

Also, even if you had the same exact gear as the guitarists in the band whose song you are playing you still aren't going to sound exactly like them. Believe it or not your fingers play a big role in your tone.

Why do you wanna sound exactly like the people you're listening to anyway?? You should explore and find your tone and stick with it rather than trying to mimic someone else' tone.
Quote by bigjuice_7
its a lil 5watter with bass and treble and volume knobs

If your amp has like three EQ knobs then it's going to be hard to get a good tone out of it.

I would look into buying a Peavey Vypyr. It's been said before, but it really is a great amp.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
a kazoo will rock some ass for like 85 cents.

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Krik harmret cuz he can prey der gertur wit te wurr wurr pedar!!

http://www.myspace.com/caledonia
Quote by bigjuice_7

Yeah, just gonna say that based on that it will not have much versatility. Like others have said, a cube or a peavey vypyr could be good choices. A modeling amp is likely what you'll be after, as they are designed to "model" different amps so you can get a lot of different sounds without spending a fortune on amps. Tons of reviews/threads/info on such amps in this forum.
i do want to form my own tone but im just starting out and id like to try to play along to songs i like. So would a vypyr help me sound closer to some of the harder bands? and btw do you just have to play with the eq till you get the sound you want...sry i kinda a noob haha
Quote by bigjuice_7
i do want to form my own tone but im just starting out and id like to try to play along to songs i like. So would a vypyr help me sound closer to some of the harder bands? and btw do you just have to play with the eq till you get the sound you want...sry i kinda a noob haha

Yeah the Vypyr will give you a good tone for the heavier bands that you want to play. I own one and I get a good metal/hardcore tone out of it.

And essentially yes, just toy with the EQ until you get a tone that you want, although with a 3 band EQ you aren't going to get a whole lot of tone.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
a kazoo will rock some ass for like 85 cents.

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Krik harmret cuz he can prey der gertur wit te wurr wurr pedar!!

http://www.myspace.com/caledonia
Id say you could go either way really vypyr, cube, or even vt. The vypyr and cube would give you better metal sounds and both have decent effects. One of those two amps would give you a head start on exploring all types of different genres, and the effects help you to experiment to maybe find something different sounding. Either way though they will both provide with decent tones for many bands which i know is a good thing for beginners as you never know what style you may find the most fun/interesting!
Last edited by Fender/marshall at Oct 9, 2009,
Quote by bigjuice_7
wow thanks man i need to go try those two out!

Yeah man no problem. The best thing to do is try them out and see which one your more comfortable with. Obviously there's other possibilities out there and im sure other people can suggest some to you . However if your gonna get a modeling amp (such as the ones i described) do not go for any sort of line 6 SPIDER. You are more than likely gonna get hassled into buying one if you go to guitar center, and its not that they're horrible amps, its just they pretty much suck compared to others in that price range. What is your budget? I may have missed it i apologize in advance if i did im pretty damn tired.
I always think the Vyper kinda sucks. If you'd like a modeling amp look at the vox valvetronics thats more of a just plug in and play amp with the Vyper it's hard to get it sounding right without hours of fiddling with the damn thing.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by SimplyBen
If you'd like a modeling amp look at the vox valvetronics thats more of a just plug in and play amp with the Vyper it's hard to get it sounding right without hours of fiddling with the damn thing.

ಠ_ಠ

I could get great tones from my friend's Vypyr within half an hour. The interface is very simple.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by bigjuice_7
Amazing how hard it is to get someone to provide info to answer their question. Did it ever occur to you to tell the brand and model of the amp? Get a Vypyr. It has the ability to approximate the tone of any band you want to cover.
Quote by fly135
Amazing how hard it is to get someone to provide info to answer their question. Did it ever occur to you to tell the brand and model of the amp? Get a Vypyr. It has the ability to approximate the tone of any band you want to cover.

dont be a jerk dude...seriously you wouldnt know the brand its a pile o crap if you really want to know its a AD instruments amp it doesnt say anything about it on it so dont judge!!!

anyways thanks for the vypyr info cuz i went and played a 15w at a local shop and it was awesome so much better than mine!!! but i kinda dont want the risk of problems with it so i wanna try out the cube
The vypyr is better then the cube imo, but try them out for yourself..
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
i guess you have a squire amp

get a peavey
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
i want the 15w so im going to guitar center to maybe pick it up?
can it be updated? and are these updates worth it?
im not getting a 30w cuz i dont need stompboxes and or no more wattage than 15 for a bedroom, if i like maybe in the future ill get a larger vypyr. i think the latest update will be updated ona new ampso what is the newest firmware?
anyone think i shouldnt?
just get a 30w,its better than the 15w
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
you should just try playing different amps at GC, try to observe the difference in tone from one brand to another. then pick one you like. when you get bored of it try another one. i don't get why people recommend the same amps to every player. assuming you're looking at amps of roughly equal quality amp/tone is a matter of preference. and personally, i haven't played a single amp who's onboard effects i prefer over pedals. so i personally wouldn't go buy an amp based on it's ****ty effects. as a beginner i was eager to use effects and it was just a waste. time that should have been spent on better things like understanding the intricacies of my amps natural tone, and working on my actual skills as a guitarist. that's why i started with acoustic, as soon as i moved to electric my learning slowed because i was busy worrying about everything other than actually playing the guitar.