I'm looking to replace my Explorer. I just need something a little toned down in the looks department. The Explorer is probably the best guitar I've ever owned, so I want something with similar neck and playability. Doesn't need to be a Gibson.
Have you looked at a Firebird, they come in Gib$on and Epihphone? Also, you can sometimes find a Jackson Firebird on eBay, like the one Marty Friedman used to use.
Quote by reesork
ESP Eclipse. Just sayin...

That is sexy. If I can find a place that sells ESP's near my house I will go play it. You're saying it has a similar neck to my Explorer?
I've got the LTD EC-1000 Korean version, and I don't know how it stacks up against an Explorer neck, but it's reasonably thin and one of the more comfortable necks I've played on.
All ESP necks are nearly the same.
Thin U Neck with 24 XJ Frets.
Ther is the EX,V,Eclipse,M or MH Series.

i like the King V esque one.

www.espguitars.com
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
ESP/LTD necks do not feel like Explorer necks.

I say look into a PRS SE or an Epiphone LP Custom. Both are solid guitars that won't break the bank and have necks similar in feel to the Explorer.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
ESPs and Ibanez guitars have mostly thin necks. The Explorer has a relatively thick neck.

I like my Schecter because it has a comparatively thick neck. Not as thick as that of my Explorer, but thick enough to be comfortable. I'd say an LP/Firebird, or perhaps a Schecter Hellraiser if you can find one to test out.
this way, you dont have to spend the 4 or 5 hundos for a whole guitar if your wanting the neck
^No triple posting please.
Also, I don't think that's really what he was looking for.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The Jackson Kelly, ESP EX, Ibanez DT770 are all great explorer bodied guitars.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
I always have to recommend a good SG; better access and equivalent tone. Try the Classic if you want a P-90 tone, or the SG-3 if you'd like single coils.
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules