Page 1 of 3
Here's my second build for school. This time around is an acoustic guitar, this model was drawn by our director. Let's just say it isn't a conventional shape. Pics will be in by next week.

Specs:

-Scale: 24 27/32"
-Neck: Tasmanian Blackwood
-Back and sides: Black Acacia / Tasmanian Blackwood
-Top: Adirondack Spruce / Red Spruce
-Bracings: Sitka Spruce
-Head Plate and Rosette: Black Acacia / Tasmanian Blackwood

For those of you who aren't familiar with black acacia, it is very similar to Koa, for a fraction of the price.
Last edited by velly69 at Nov 11, 2009,
Here's a pic of the rough Tasmanian Blackwood with some Naphta to show figure. Pics wont do it much justice. I'll get better ones next Tuesday, when it's jointed.

GuitarCam123, have you worked with this wood before? Does it bend well? Some say it bends just as easily as mahogany, but I'm concerned about the figure and grain making it hard.
by the way...your 'acoustic guitar build' in your siggy is linked wrongly...it both directs to the classical guitar build
Quote by NoobOnZone
by the way...your 'acoustic guitar build' in your siggy is linked wrongly...it both directs to the classical guitar build

Hah! thanks for the notice, it's fixed.
By the way, our teachers gave us a deadline. We need to brace the top by the 22nd of Octobre. Should be done by the end of next week if everything goes well.
considering how amazing your classical build was (I want it... so bad.), I look forward to this! Stickied.
Quote by velly69
Here's a pic of the rough Tasmanian Blackwood with some Naphta to show figure. Pics wont do it much justice. I'll get better ones next Tuesday, when it's jointed.

GuitarCam123, have you worked with this wood before? Does it bend well? Some say it bends just as easily as mahogany, but I'm concerned about the figure and grain making it hard.

I have worked with it before, but I haven't bent it. I've only used it on necks

22-October is a pretty short deadline, are you guys making the bridge, neck and all that too?
Quote by guitarcam123
I have worked with it before, but I haven't bent it. I've only used it on necks

22-October is a pretty short deadline, are you guys making the bridge, neck and all that too?

I wish! We're only making the back and sides out of it. I'd love to have some for the fretboard and bridge but we couldnt find any... Probably will be making them out of rosewood or ebony

We're only ment to brace the top for that date, the rest will come soon after.

Check your inbox btw
Last edited by velly69 at Oct 11, 2009,
Updated: I'm posting these pics about a week late. Didn't get to work on the top much bc it was still a little too humid to work on. Bracings are already shaped and ready to be glued.

Adirondack/Red Spruce:

Rosette Inlay - Australian Blackwood:

Body shot:

I'll have some more this week, some of the bracings aswell as the neck.
you're right it's not a conventional shape, not my sort of thing but it looks quite big.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Very nice. looking forward to more updates!
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
It a little expensive, considering I would have had to make the platform anyways. Also I rather glue the bracings by hand, since I've heard by many ppl it offers uneaven pressure and dents the bracings.

I ordered the TB necks by the way, should be getting them next week!
Quote by guitarcam123
Where did you end up buying them?

Australian ToneWoods, Tim really helped me out alot. I ended up taking TB necks rather than fretboard and bridge.

Also I need some binding ideas, I'm free to do any kind of design for the bindings. I was thinking same as the classical guitar: strip of black, (side wood) Tasmanian Blackwood for the side view.. the top view would be Tasmanian Blackwood, black-white-black. I like the fact that it was simple, but I'd like to try something a little more excentric since I have more freedom on this acoustic.

Any idea is appreciated so bring 'em on guys!
Thats jizzworthy
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
looks good.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Beautiful
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
tasty
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
-First I trace a line from the heel to the edge of fretboard, saw off the extra 1/16th away from line

-Then use files, chisels and sandpaper to reach to final line, at this point you should be at the final dimensions for the extremity of heel and edge of fretboard

-With a template, draw the heel shape. From here on i use a combination of chisels and files to obtain the shape on the heel, nearest to the tenon (about 1/4" is shaped). The remove the extra to flatten the rest

-Next step is to remove excess wood with rasps, finally sand to shape

I'll draw something up and upload for you to understand better if you need
Quote by guitarcam123
How do you shave down the heel?
Chisels?

i found a dremel drill with a small sanding wheel was a good way to remove most of the excess and get the rough shape
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Custom Built Acoustic
Epiphone Valve Special
Marshall Guv'nor GV2
tanglewood 1000 pu resonator
washborn acoustic
My Build
Page 1 of 3