anyone got any advice for teaching yourself bass?

have got notes down easy but techniques and plucking etc are a bit beyond me....

reply?
*sing news with the passion of a pistol*
*don't live your life inside a narrow filled with glances*
*thats when she said "i lost control again*
there are some websites which have good information on technique and theory and other important bass things. i partly taught myself through the help of websites like that.
also, take a walk down to your local public library and check if they have books on learning bass.
EDIT: i just remembered, dont concentrate on learning off song tabs. sure, its fun to learn songs you like, but in the long run, learning theory rather than songs will be more usefull. I have noticed a great improvement in my playing now that i use song tabs a lot less and spend more time mucking around with the scales and theory.
So come on in
it ain't no sin
take off your skin
and dance around in your bones

Last edited by ICOG at Oct 9, 2009,
i have been for a while, though i got lazy the past... month or so when my life turned very hectic. now im trying to get back into proper again...

regardless, i got the hal leonard complete book, and it seems pretty good and i know a few on here recommended it. i was working through that quite well, then hecticness hit, and i just played off tabs, but you definately dont learn as much and, to me, some things just feel strange.

good luck, time to dust off my book
Piece of advice #1: get a good book
Piece of advice #2: learn your theory early on. Make sure you know your notes up and down the fretboard. Then work on your scales, and so on. Getting theory down first can be painfully boring, but later on you will appreciate the better understanding of bass that it gave you. Knowing your theory is paramount to improvisation or if you want to write your own stuff, otherwise you'll just be playing off of tabs forever.
piece of advice #3: try and practice as regularly as possible, and remember to do fingerpicking, slap, spider exercises, ect. to build up your technique and finger strength
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I learnt by myself and got up to grade 8, i started off playing easy songs along to my mp3 then moved on, but i made the mistake of thinking myself too good, e.g. playing some primus after 2 months... I failed. Honestly you need to know your scales and notes, it takes some effort but is pretty easy after a while seeing as you just need to know the intervals and then you can play a scale starting on any note.

I suggest playing songs along to the cd or whatever, this helps your rhythm and speed seeing as playing along to a song is faster than it seems, but also do exercises such as scales up and down again faster and faster. I found that books didn't help me that much, but thats just me personally. Being able to read bass clef is useful if you want to play in anything other than a private band, but I learnt this through playing double bass in an orchestra, so I can't give advise on how to do that.
Well I think it's great that you're teaching yourself. I used to play guitar, and I took lessons, and it got kinda annoying ,and then I started playing bass for my school band, and I learned scales and stuff, and how to read bass clef.. It makes everything a lot easier and stuff.. When I started, I didn't know ANYTHING about bass guitars, except that they had 4 strings. And my teacher handed me a 5 string... I was horrible at first, but over time, your playing will improve... I know its annoying, but PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!! Try to pick up your bass at least like 30 minutes a day.. And just have fun with it... You don't have to be Cliff Burton.. Just **** around with it man!! In a year or two, you'll be surprised...
Is there no way of you finding a proffessional teacher, honestly all i can say is that in my 7-8 years of playing music, a teacher or someone to guide is the most helpful thing you can ever have.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul