So i want to get a 24 fret neck for my single humbucker strat project and i cant really afford a warmoth neck (even though i would try to get the money but im doing a cheap do-up as practice for a more expensive one)

I found this neck http://cgi.ebay.com.au/JPV-JK-Model-Guitar-Neck-Dot-Maple-24-Fret_W0QQitemZ300354961294QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Musical_Instruments_Instruments?hash=item45ee8cff8e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_4524wt_1300

i do know that the intonation would be off sooooooo would i be able to use a metal file to sand down the heel enough to the necessary length. I have $hit all tools, maybe a old hand saw lying around. So would it work, even if it took ages. Or could u guys suggest some cheap tools to do the job
NO do not ruin your guitar. also that neck can be bought from eden for about 30 bucks, that guy is ripping you off.
Gear:
Gibson Explorer
1981 Ibanez Destroyer II
1982 Ibanez Rocket Roll II
Charvel(ish) San Dimas 2 (modding)
Jackson PS-4 (modding)
Squier Affinity Strat (modding)
custom made Flying V/ Iceman
Headless Steinberger copy

Hail the Hordes!!
Last edited by Ashlakh at Oct 9, 2009,
Quote by Ashlakh
NO do not ruin your guitar. also that neck can be bought from eden for about 30 bucks, that guy is ripping you off.

I dont think u understand, im file-ing the NECK not the guitar, it fits the pocket where as the eden ones from memory do not.

My guitar seen here

has a really nice bright yellow finish which means i do not want to be moving the bridge, and its a trem which is way to hard anyway.

So is it actually impossible or is it just time consuming and arduous, becoz im a very patient person
the eden neck width is thiner than fender/squier so i would advise against ruining that beautiful guitar, if you want a 24 fret guitar, do a build using eden products with gfs hardware, it will be cheap and fun and if you ruin the build at least you will have that gorgeous yellow strat and a little more knowledge about guitar modification!
Gear:
Gibson Explorer
1981 Ibanez Destroyer II
1982 Ibanez Rocket Roll II
Charvel(ish) San Dimas 2 (modding)
Jackson PS-4 (modding)
Squier Affinity Strat (modding)
custom made Flying V/ Iceman
Headless Steinberger copy

Hail the Hordes!!
okay guys i dont know how to make this clearer to you NOTHING WILL HAPPEN TO THE FRICKEN GUITAR, JESUS GOD DAMN CHRIST

Im asking if i can FILE THE NECK'S HEEL SO THAT THE OVER HANG OF THE FRETS WILL FIT THE INTONATION OF THE GUITAR!!!!!!

The guitar will not be filed, hacked up, routed, drilled NOTHING. The neck pocket of my guitar is 2 3/16 just like the neck in the link

I have some metal files and a small hand hacksaw so could i use this to change the heal of the neck.
If what you want to do is move the neck in closer towards the bridge, then yes it's possible. I did it on a partscaster build I did a while back, although I did it with a router. If you have a chisel you can saw the neck back down to the right mark then chisel it out, be careful though of the fretboard, you don't want to be ruining that now.

When you move the neck back the upper frets will be a bit harder to reach since they are further past the cutaway.

Awesome looking guitar you got there to

EDIT: I also suppose that your neck pocket has rounded corners? If so you'll have to round the corners of the neck after you chisel out the excess wood so that it fits snugly and properly into the neck pocket.
Last edited by guitarcam123 at Oct 9, 2009,
i agree with both TS, and cam.

you could either shave the heel down (i would think this is the best idea, as long as you still need to drill the bolt screw holes.

or

you could do cams way, and shave down the pocket on the body.

both will do the same job, but shaving down the heel (i think) would be easyer, seeing as you may not have a router/want to rout.
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
ohh..

well now ive given you one more idea... lol.
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
The TS has already said numerous times that he's not touching the body, so i'll doubt there's going to be any routing down on the neck pocket.
thank u guys for the straight answer

Do u guys think i could use the hand saw i have to cut a chunk out and then file and sand that to make my life easier or will their be a chance of splitting the fretboard or will i just be too tough
Yeah, that is pretty much what I was trying to say

You shouldn't split the fretboard if you do it correctly.
You could do it, but I'm guessing if you had to come on here asking if it's possible, then you won't be able to. Sorry for sounding harsh.
Signatures are overrated.
^Would you spend money, then randomly start filing?

Also, who are you to assess his abilities? He's said nothing whatsoever to suggest that he doesn't know his way around the tools, so why are you telling him off?
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by Mr3000
okay guys i dont know how to make this clearer to you NOTHING WILL HAPPEN TO THE FRICKEN GUITAR, JESUS GOD DAMN CHRIST

Im asking if i can FILE THE NECK'S HEEL SO THAT THE OVER HANG OF THE FRETS WILL FIT THE INTONATION OF THE GUITAR!!!!!!

The guitar will not be filed, hacked up, routed, drilled NOTHING. The neck pocket of my guitar is 2 3/16 just like the neck in the link

I have some metal files and a small hand hacksaw so could i use this to change the heal of the neck.
Calm down, dude. Posting in all caps is annoying, Stop it.

So you got answers that didn't suit you. Live with it. It's a bloody forum. If few people are misunderstanding what you're on about, just ignore them. If too many are misunderstanding, edit your OP to make it more clear. It's that simple.

It's possible to shorten any neck heel and allow the fretboard to overhang. (notice the spelling of heel, please.) But in doing so, you reduce the amount of contact between the neck pocket and the heel of the neck. In your case, will you have enough flat on the heel to properly contact the bottom of the neck pocket? Will you end up with a strange looking gap between the edge of neck pocket flat and the portion of the neck where it begins to taper into round? We can't know without drawings showing the dimensions of both, the scale of the neck, and the current position of the bridge.

Will you be able to accomplish this with only "some metal files and a small hand hacksaw" and not make a complete mess of it? I doubt it. That's my personal opinion. Take it with a grain of salt.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
^ first of all, im a very busy impatient man AND ALL CAPS GETS THE POINT ACROSS

second, cheers for the advice

third, is there anywhere else that i could buy a 24 fret neck for strat?
Quote by Mr3000
^ first of all, im a very busy impatient man AND ALL CAPS GETS THE POINT ACROSS
This is a forum, not a chat room, you will have to learn to be patient or you wont get the proper help you need, and posting in caps gets your point across less as it anoys people and makes them less likely to help you.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Problem 1: Metal files and a hack saw are not gonna be very good tools for working with wood. You will really need to go find/buy some proper tools for this project.

Problem 2: There is a limit to the amount of wood you can remove from the heel of the neck. The end of the truss rod in most necks is right at the end and you would then need to shorten that not an easy task.

Problem 3: Thats gonna be alot of neck heel to remove. Its 1 thing to remove an 1/8" to 1/4" thats gonna be 1/2" or more. Making a 24 fret neck into 1 that will fit in a unmodified 21fret neck pocket is gonna leave alot of fret board unsupported. Also gonna be hard to access those extra frets with em so far into the body.

Problem 4: Being very busy and impatient is not 2 of the ingredients for this kind of mod. Your gonna have to sand and check sand and check many times to get it right. Get in a hurry and you will just end up ruining the neck. Your gonna be way better off keeping the guitar as is and finding one already designed to use a 24 fret neck.
if you file off the end, due to the taper of the neck, you will have a very loose pocket unless you then add material to the sides.

I know you said you did not want to touch the body but if the neck pocket will be under the pickguard, I would chisel out the neck pocket until to get the scale length. You may still need to add material to the neck so that the pocket is tight however.
Last edited by Rusty_Chisel at Oct 10, 2009,