Not professionally, but I dont have time to mic up my Mesa just to get my ideas down. Sometimes i get song ideas and i just want to record them.

I just plugged my spider practice combo straight into the microphone jack and layered some tracks with Audacity. I think it came out rather clean sounding..

I dont have a bass, so what i did was record bass on my guitar clean, then lower it an octave and add some low end freqs.

I used the Metal setting for distortion, and I think it sounds like a recorded recto, if you know what i mean? a really compressed, recto sound, it IS modeled after the recto..

I don't want to get in trouble for making a thread like this, I'm just trying to see what you guys think of it recorded direct out.

Anyways, here's the recording. www.myspace.com/acidpenguins

it's "Untitled new"
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Congrats dude. I kinda want a BJ too 'cause I like them so much. I'll check your clipz later.

Master Chief might lend you this....

Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Oct 9, 2009,
i hope people just dont act ignorant or insulting

i have good gear, i only use my spider for practicing silently. and now, recording silently. i live with my grandparents.

edit: i think i should have posted this in riffs and recording
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Congrats dude. I kinda want a BJ too 'cause I like them so much. I'll check your clipz later.

I can't even get a real bass to sound like that

Actually wasn't too bad IMO. I've spent some time with my friend's lately, since he refuses to just use my Vetta And I've gotten some passable tones out of it, my grievance with it is that there's so much damn fizz, it makes my ears hurt at high volumes. Good thing I wear earplugs, gets rid of the fizz and actually makes it sound pretty crisp
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I can't even get a real bass to sound like that

yeah, thats what i was thinking. I like the structure of its sound, its kind of like an SVT at lowish volume with barely any treble
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Quote by injected
yeah, thats what i was thinking. I like the structure of its sound, its kind of like an SVT at lowish volume with barely any treble

I can't for the life of me get my friend's bass to sound good, through any amp. It's not like it's a bad bass either, Ibanez SR500. We plugged it into an SVT3 6x10 stack at a recording place a few months back and it was just all lowend, no definition to the notes at all, no matter what we did with it.

Supposedly he got an original '60s P-Bass now, so I'm anxious to hear how that one sounds, seems like it'd have more of a growl to it, which is what I think sounds cool on bass. The Ibanez sounds too bassy, like it would be good for slap bass and that's about it
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I can't for the life of me get my friend's bass to sound good, through any amp. It's not like it's a bad bass either, Ibanez SR500. We plugged it into an SVT3 6x10 stack at a recording place a few months back and it was just all lowend, no definition to the notes at all, no matter what we did with it.

Supposedly he got an original '60s P-Bass now, so I'm anxious to hear how that one sounds, seems like it'd have more of a growl to it, which is what I think sounds cool on bass. The Ibanez sounds too bassy, like it would be good for slap bass and that's about it

Fender J-bass, dude. Thats what you need to sound like that in an svt. I tried one in a classic svt and it has this midrange punch that just has so much attack and gives it a really nice sound.

Also, I moved away from your crappy state. It's too hot there. That guy with your RKII in gilbert never called back. Haha

lol
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Quote by injected
Fender J-bass, dude. Thats what you need to sound like that in an svt. I tried one in a classic svt and it has this midrange punch that just has so much attack and gives it a really nice sound.

Also, I moved away from your crappy state. It's too hot there. That guy with your RKI in gilbert never called back. Haha

lol

Never tried a J-Bass to be honest, will have to next time I go to GC

LOL yeah I dunno, probably good that he didn't, the reverb was out on it and it didn't seem like he ever fixed it, but was trying to pass it off as "like new." I traded guitars with him again and he brought up that I "owed" him $50 because I said I'd give him $50 with the amp, if he wanted, since the reverb wasn't working, so he could buy a new tank. He never said anything about it when I went to trade him, nor did he say anything in any of his emails. Needless to say, I told him to take the guitar I was trading him and get out of my house, if I ever get an email from him wanting to trade me something anymore, I just ignore him; people like that piss me off
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Lol, was he old looking? He sounded very old.

Still, a dc-5 for a RKI combo with no reverb is quite a bigger exchange on my side. I dont ever wanna sell mine though. I love it too much
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

TS - Check out "Glass Houses" one of my songs in my profile. It was cut on a Spider III's green clean channel. I agree with you, they do very well. I prefer to mic mine rather than go direct, it seems to lose the natural Reverb when I go direct, that and the direct in takes over and you dont get any sound out of the speaker (At least on mine).

Spiders record very well, IMO. If you know what your doing and use a quality program
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204