Page 1 of 4
So me and my dad got in a fight over guitar players.
he told jimmy page had the best solos ever, don't get me wrong i love jimmy and he is great guitar player.
and i'm like, well i really like Mohamed(or whatever his name is) from necrophagist his solos are pretty awesome.
Then my dad said that jimmy page was better, i replied well necrophagist is obviously more technical then led zeppelin, but i like both bands. He refuses to let it go, he continues to tell me jimmy page is way better, i end it with the fact he doesn't play guitar doesn't know anything about the instrument and is just being hard headed.
and i'm the asshole?

dose anyone have to talk to someone about music on the daily that is totally ignorant and hard headed?
what do you do
You're wrong TS.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Subjective arguments do not end.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Subjective arguments do not end.

Well I think they do!

Say hi

Playing: Sleeping Dogs, FIFA 13, Guild Wars 2, Borderlands 2
Reading: The Hobbit

Watching: How I met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory, 24

Listening: Muse - The 2nd Law
Quote by levi.lydat
So me and my dad got in a fight over guitar players.
he told jimmy page had the best solos ever, don't get me wrong i love jimmy and he is great guitar player.
and i'm like, well i really like Mohamed(or whatever his name is) from necrophagist his solos are pretty awesome.
Then my dad said that jimmy page was better, i replied well necrophagist is obviously more technical then led zeppelin, but i like both bands. He refuses to let it go, he continues to tell me jimmy page is way better, i end it with the fact he doesn't play guitar doesn't know anything about the instrument and is just being hard headed.
and i'm the asshole?

dose anyone have to talk to someone about music on the daily that is totally ignorant and hard headed?
what do you do

Just because he doesn't play the instrument doesn't mean he doesn't know anything. Get over your "I play guitar, so I obviously know better" attitude. My old man doesn't play an instrument, yet can tell you the ins and outs of jazz like nobody's business.

And since when has technicality ever meant anyone was better? Chops aren't the only thing in music. If something sounds better than something else, I'll prefer that, even if it's less technical.

So yes, you are the asshole here.
Quote by Noyon999
Well I think they do!

Well I think they don't!

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Jimmy Page is still being talked about. Led Zeppelin is timeless and will be played forever. In 50 years do really think people are gonna be talking about this Mohamed guy and Necrophagist? I highly doubt it.
Don't get me wrong Jimmy Page is a good guitarist, but he's pretty damn sloppy...

example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bc9m7nbMC4
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Just because he doesn't play the instrument doesn't mean he doesn't know anything. Get over your "I play guitar, so I obviously know better" attitude. My old man doesn't play an instrument, yet can tell you the ins and outs of jazz like nobody's business.

And since when has technicality ever meant anyone was better? Chops aren't the only thing in music. If something sounds better than something else, I'll prefer that, even if it's less technical.

So yes, you are the asshole here.

i only said that after like 10 minutes of him going "jimmy page is better" while i'm just trying to avoid the conversation.
the end of the conversation was just me raging
We Led Zep fans try to selectively forget the years when Jimmy was high out of his mind and could barely play.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Well I think they don't!

They do if you kill the other person....
Say hi

Playing: Sleeping Dogs, FIFA 13, Guild Wars 2, Borderlands 2
Reading: The Hobbit

Watching: How I met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory, 24

Listening: Muse - The 2nd Law
Trolled by your old man? Dayum.
'Always outnumbed, never outgunned'
PSN + XBL: Jimsworthy

Charvel So-Cal ProMod Black
Ibanez RG350Dx W/ Duncans
Blackstar HT Stage 100
ASshdown 4x12
Morley George Lynch Dragon Wah II
Your dad was right
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by skaterskagg1
Jimmy Page is still being talked about. Led Zeppelin is timeless and will be played forever. In 50 years do really think people are gonna be talking about this Mohamed guy and Necrophagist? I highly doubt it.

I thnk they will.
Quote by skaterskagg1

That's quite obvious, as Led Zeppelin is rather extremely more "mainstream", when compared to most metal bands. Doubly so when it comes to extreme metal, as that is still a fairly niche area of genres when compared to rock.

In any case, it's just a pissing contest of preference. You were quite obviously the asshole, TS, as "best solos" can only be subjectively defined, not based on the skill of the individual guitarist.
Sworn enemy of the private investigator.
Quote by Noyon999
They do if you kill the other person....

You win this time >.>

*will not sleep tonight*

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Necrophagist is faster. Led Zeppelin is more melodic(to most ears, any way).
It's up to you which one you prefer, you can't call some one ignorant for liking a particular style of music. Just hear his opinion and let it be, you're better off having a discussion rather than an argument.
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

Quote by skaterskagg1

I don't know or do i care if people talk about him. I think he is amazing, if i'm still alive in 50 years i'm sure ill talk about them.
But the point of this wasn't to poke fun at my dad or claim anyone is better.
I just want to figure out a way to disarm him without choking down my pride and just agreeing with him
Quote by levi.lydat
...without choking down my pride and just agreeing with him

Oh come on, that will prepare you for having a girlfriend.
jimmy page changed guitar playing, that other guy may be good but has he done anything to set himself apart? i thought not
This Mohamed guy is a technical fast guitar player in an extreme metal band. Aaaannnnddd?? Those guys are a dime a dozen. Anyone can play fast, hell, even I can play fast. The difference is they aren't doing anything special. Jimmy was special.
Quote by the_jackyl
Oh come on, that will prepare you for having a girlfriend.

girlfriend?
Quote by innertom
jimmy page changed guitar playing, that other guy may be good but has he done anything to set himself apart? i thought not

Please, Les Paul was doing that **** before Jimmy Page was potty trained...

edit: And Les Paul pulled it off clean...
Last edited by l33TgUiT@rd00d at Oct 9, 2009,
This Mohammed guy doesn't even have a face. What's he got on Jimmy?
Last edited by Yahto Sun at Oct 9, 2009,
Quote by Yahto Sun
This Mohammed guy doesn't even have a face. What's got on Jimmy?

pardon?
Quote by Yahto Sun
This Mohammed guy doesn't even have a face. What's he got on Jimmy?

sigh...since most people are missing the point I'll join in on it.
Honestly i think mohammed is better, i doubt jimmy page can play technical death metal. then again i seriously doubt necrophagist could make a led zeppelin song sound as good as they did it.
but guitar wise i think mohammed has a few more tricks than jimmy page.
IMO LOL
Quote by skaterskagg1
This Mohamed guy is a technical fast guitar player in an extreme metal band. Aaaannnnddd?? Those guys are a dime a dozen. Anyone can play fast, hell, even I can play fast. The difference is they aren't doing anything special. Jimmy was special.

^don't be a snob.

Quote by Portuguese_boy

IMO they're dickheads for trying to argue something which is essentially apples and oranges.

There's some Stephen King discussion going down in the Metal and Reading thread. Care to join?
Last edited by Yahto Sun at Oct 9, 2009,
Here's something you might want to take into consideration: They both suck.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
Here's something you might want to take into consideration: They both suck.

Says the guy with the Lily Allen avi.
Quote by Yahto Sun
Says the guy with the Lily Allen avi.

I've never claimed she made the greatest guitar solos
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by skaterskagg1
You think extreme metal is special? You poor child.

Yes I do, and why does that make me a poor child? You have your music taste and I have mine..
I just had to laugh at your ignorance you stupid ****ing bigot.. You obviously know nothing about any other musical genre that you don't listen to.. and yes, I'm sure you can play SO fast, making it easy to nail down Necrophagist solos flawlessly, but you choose not to because you listen to Led Zeppelin... and yes, I'm sure a lot of people can play as fast as you, but classic rock prevents them from pwning actual shredders..
According to your logic, anyone that knows a pentatonic scale just rose up to the levels of Jimmy Page and deserves all the praise he got, they just need to make stupid faces while bending, abuse the **** out of the pentatonic scale and pour a little bit of "special" classic rock magic dust and they're ready.

Plus if you guys listened to their solos you'd find that they're melodic as hell...
Quote by Portuguese_boy
Yes I do, and why does that make me a poor child? You have your music taste and I have mine..
I just had to laugh at your ignorance you stupid ****ing bigot.. You obviously know nothing about any other musical genre that you don't listen to.. and yes, I'm sure you can play SO fast, making it easy to nail down Necrophagist solos flawlessly, but you choose not to because you listen to Led Zeppelin... and yes, I'm sure a lot of people can play as fast as you, but classic rock prevents them from pwning actual shredders..
According to your logic, anyone that knows a pentatonic scale just rose up to the levels of Jimmy Page and deserves all the praise he got, they just need to make stupid faces while bending, abuse the **** out of the pentatonic scale and pour a little bit of "special" classic rock magic dust and they're ready.

Plus if you guys listened to their solos you'd find that they're melodic as hell...

lawl, i think there is alot to this "classic rock magic", i wish i had it
i was just talking to my dad and he made it into this big fight. i didn't say one band had the best solos i said i like their solos the most.
i was just wondering if anyone goes through the same thing and what they do
Last edited by levi.lydat at Oct 9, 2009,
Muhammed has wrote what about 80% of the metal forum agree to be the best death metal solo ever - Fermented Offal Discharge, Advanced Corpse Tumor and Epitaph, and is Objectively the better guitarist. By MILES.

Subjectively I Prefer Muhammed because his solos sound more interesting to MY ears.

Also, he will probably be remembered in 50 years as the amazing guitarist who wrote the death metal chinese democracy. Bloody hell, every year he says it will be out next year!

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Last edited by metallicafan616 at Oct 9, 2009,
Page 1 of 4