Hi
I need a bit of help!
I need to build up the bridge on my bass slightly on the A and D strings, as I'm using really low tunings at the moment and am getting a lot of buzz - both strings are buzzing against the 1st fret when played open

I would take it to my local bass doctor but I have a band practice in 3 days (just joined a new band and badly need the next few days to learn about 7 songs!) - the bass doctor said he needs to hang on to my bass for about 2-3 days to do the work

How do I do it myself? Is this a really bad idea as I've never done it before?
I'm only impatient cos I really need to make a good impression on the new band and learn the stuff in superfast time

I appreciate any responses, and I know I've waffled a bit
What do you want to do?

Are you trying to raise string height on the A and D strings?

If so, what type of bridge are you using?
Quote by guitarcam123
What do you want to do?

Are you trying to raise string height on the A and D strings?

If so, what type of bridge are you using?

yeah. I just need to raise them slightly so they're not touching the 1st fret
Its hard to tell cause you haven't quite given enough info (for all I know, it could need a new nut, frets or truss rod adjustment)

You can raise the height of the saddle by adjusting the little screws or as you nknow them "things that can be adjusted with allen keys"

Is it only the first fret that buzzes or is it every fret? When you play at the 2nd or 3rd fret does it buzz or only when you play the strings open?
Hehe, I'm not the most technical minded ok so if I try and adjust the screws would that alter anything else or literally just the string height?

It's only when I play them open. When I look at them without fretting anything, both the A and D strings are very slightly touching the 1st fret which I guess is what makes it buzz when I play them open? Fretted they seem fine, just a tiny bit erm baggy (?) cos they're tuned so low

I'll try to tell you more info if you let me know what you need?
Quote by ImaginaryEvil
Hehe, I'm not the most technical minded ok so if I try and adjust the screws would that alter anything else or literally just the string height?

It's only when I play them open. When I look at them without fretting anything, both the A and D strings are very slightly touching the 1st fret which I guess is what makes it buzz when I play them open? Fretted they seem fine, just a tiny bit erm baggy (?) cos they're tuned so low

I'll try to tell you more info if you let me know what you need?
If the problem is at the first fret, and goes away when your strings are fretted, raising the bridge saddles won't help much. You'd have to raise the saddles a TON to make much difference at the other end. That would severely affect the playability as you move down the neck toward the bridge.

Your nutslots are cut too deep. Either replace the nut, or remove it and shim it. Not sure you're qualified to do either. If the strings other than the A and D are now too high, you'll need to cut those slots deeper to the proper height.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.