Here's my situation. I have no amp atm. I'm playing a GT-10 through an entertainment system. I get great results, but I haven't found a way to jam with it. I want to join a band, but I can't even really search since I have no way of playing with anyone. I live in NYC and have no car. I'll be using public transportation for travel. So a 1x12 combo is pretty much all I can handle (and there aren't many good selections in that variety). I was always anti-modeling (even though it's what I currently use) but it seems like it's the most practical and simple thing for me. A guitar, GT-10, and amp (plus footswitch) is a lot to carry. I just saw that Line 6 just released the Spider Valve MkII. That could reduce my load to just a guitar, amp, and footswitch and I'll have everything I'll need. Are the Spider Valves good? Is it a good option.
The spider valves are decent...but how it will react with the GT-10 could be another story. I'd look for a good 112 tube combo instead...and use that with the GT-10. Maybe check CL? I'm sure NYC has a great selection of music gear.
They're nice, but I heard they only get good when you turn them up like real valve amps.

I'd rather go for a Vypyr Tube 60 personally. They are so much better than the regular Vypyrs and I liked them more than the Spider Valve.
Get the Flextone III instead. Or even an HT-5. Or some other small tube combo. Not the spider. I've tried the Spider III, Spider IV and even Spider Valve 112 and IMO they are all quite crappy. Line 6 just doesn't implement its best modelling software into the Spider series. The Flextone, HD147 and Vetta are all based on Line 6 POD models which IMO are a lot better quality.

hope that helps.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Spider valve ( I owned one, but I traded for my head) was great, but 40 watts are plenty of power and you'll need to get at least to 4-5 on the master to hear it sings..
TH3 G3Ar
- JCM 900 SL-X and SV MKII 100HD with LIne 6 sv412
-Bunch of pedals ( WD,BM,NR-2...)
-Ibanez Universe uv777pbk,Rg 2550&321mh
-http://backtorlyeh.bandcamp.com/
Whats your max budget? What genres do you play?
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Oct 9, 2009,
Quote by eyebanez333
The spider valves are decent...but how it will react with the GT-10 could be another story. I'd look for a good 112 tube combo instead...and use that with the GT-10. Maybe check CL? I'm sure NYC has a great selection of music gear.

I wouldn't use it with the GT-10. There are very few very good 1x12s. The only ones I found in my budget were the Mesa Express and ENGL Screamer. I figured that I'm not going to find my perfect amp in a 1x12 format (unless Fryette releases an affordable Sig:X combo), so I might as well just get one that's most practical for my situation.
Ultimately, your still going to have to haul either an FBV or a Shortboard, or your GT-10 as well as the amp. Spiders are great for folks who have little funds, no effects, and want an amp+effects. You have a great Effects processor, and therefore can utilize a much smaller/easier to transport combo. Such as....

Peavey Classic 30
Orange Tiny Terror Combo
Blackstar HT-5
Fender Deville
Marshall Class 5 / Haze

I hope that helps, not the the SV's arent any good. But why buy an amp with modeling software built in, if you have a modeling pedal/effects processor that is superior or at least right on par with what the Spider has to offer?
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
^I was going to recommend the Peavey Classic 30 as well...and use the GT-10 with it. Theres one for $275 on the NYC CL.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Oct 9, 2009,
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
Ultimately, your still going to have to haul either an FBV or a Shortboard, or your GT-10 as well as the amp. Spiders are great for folks who have little funds, no effects, and want an amp+effects. You have a great Effects processor, and therefore can utilize a much smaller/easier to transport combo. Such as....

Peavey Classic 30
Orange Tiny Terror Combo
Blackstar HT-5
Fender Deville
Marshall Class 5 / Haze

I hope that helps, not the the SV's arent any good. But why buy an amp with modeling software built in, if you have a modeling pedal/effects processor that is superior or at least right on par with what the Spider has to offer?

I don't like using an amp with the GT-10 unless it's exceptionally clean and transparent. I prefer it with something without tubes (and without a guitar speaker for that matter) since I have much more control over my tone. I was going to go with an ENGL Screamer but it's too much money for what it is. I would only be getting it because of the size. Plus, the footswitch is pretty beastly and expensive. My main genre is high gain 80s hair-metal style (think Motley Crue and W.A.S.P. with more gain). But I also play classic-rock, garage, and rock-n-roll stuff with my strat. I haven't found an amp in my pricerange that fits both of my styles well. Another thing that draws me to the SV is that it'll be good to have when I upgrade to what I really want. It'll be an all-in-one package amp that I'll have for any special occasions (friends, backup). My budget is $1500, but I haven't found anything that's really great.

2 problems with the Vetta: too big and too expensive.
Quote by JELIFISH19
I don't like using an amp with the GT-10 unless it's exceptionally clean and transparent. I prefer it with something without tubes (and without a guitar speaker for that matter) since I have much more control over my tone. I was going to go with an ENGL Screamer but it's too much money for what it is. I would only be getting it because of the size. Plus, the footswitch is pretty beastly and expensive. My main genre is high gain 80s hair-metal style (think Motley Crue and W.A.S.P. with more gain). But I also play classic-rock, garage, and rock-n-roll stuff with my strat. I haven't found an amp in my pricerange that fits both of my styles well. Another thing that draws me to the SV is that it'll be good to have when I upgrade to what I really want. It'll be an all-in-one package amp that I'll have for any special occasions (friends, backup). My budget is $1500, but I haven't found anything that's really great.

2 problems with the Vetta: too big and too expensive.

If you've already got all your sounds with the GT-10, then I'd also recommend the rout of a small 1X12 combo. One with an Effects Loop, Say the Peavey Classic 30.

If you plug the output of the GT-10 into the FX Return of the amp, that's as transparent as you can get. That will bypass the PreAmp of the Amp, and only use it's power amp. You'll be able to use all the effects and Amp Modelling from the GT-10. Note that your volume would be controlled by the GT-10, not the amp.

So you would carry Amp(right hand) / Guitar(left hand) / GT-10(backpack)

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Oct 9, 2009,
Ask if you can try it @ the shop?
Metalcore 4 Life

If you want to know: Line 6 Spider III 13 (AMP), Ibanez GIO (GUITAR)

And I'm playing guitar for 4/5 months (Without lessons)

You just lost 5 seconds of your life by reading this....
The Spider Valve will do you just fine. Between your GT10 and the features of the Spider Valve you can do anything you want, and at any volume. They do make Spider Valve combos.

I absolutely love my SV, and would not trade it for anything.
Fender USA Stratocaster HSS
Schecter C-1 FR Hellraiser
Ibanez RG 321mh
Fender Squier Strat
Bugera V22
Line 6 Spider Valve HD100
Line 412 cab V 30's
How 'bout gettin' a keyboard amp or something like that fractal amp to go with the GT-10? with a spider you'd also haul a FBV around eventually...

EDIT: If you don't like hauling multiple items 'round, I thought the fractal amp had a slot or opening for a multi fx to fit in.
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Last edited by Slicer666 at Oct 9, 2009,