hey UG

I'm thinking of changing the pickups of my Washburn guitar (the house of blues edition).
Its got a humbucker in the bridge and 2 single coils.

I'm thinking of getting the DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge pickup.

I need a suggestion from you for the single coil pickup in the neck which would go along nicely with the super distortion, something that can give clear smooth cleans and a decent distorted tone, the middle pickup doesn't matter as I don't really use it.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thx
SD Cool Rails?
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
has ur guitar been fitted for active? or is it still a passive guitar? may i also suggest for the bridge an EMG h4 passive if it is passive?
Quote by footsteps7173
has ur guitar been fitted for active? or is it still a passive guitar? may i also suggest for the bridge an EMG h4 passive if it is passive?

I dont like EMG passives, Duncan and DiMarzio passives are so much better.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by Mitochondria9
I dont like EMG passives, Duncan and DiMarzio passives are so much better.

i put one in my strat so it was P-P-Hum and the riffs i play sound just as good as pickin up a guitar with the active counterpart, the 81. the others u mentioned are good also, but the emg is a better buy to me.
Quote by footsteps7173
i put one in my strat so it was P-P-Hum and the riffs i play sound just as good as pickin up a guitar with the active counterpart, the 81. the others u mentioned are good also, but the emg is a better buy to me.

Exactly why he shouldnt get one.

EMGs are not versatile.

If you put an H4 or an 81 in your bridge, you wont be able to play much anything except metal or hard rock.

Duncan JBs and DiMarzio Super-Ds are alot more versatile.

The EMG is a great buy, if you only plan on playing metal or heavy rock, otherwise its good for one thing, and one thing only.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Last edited by Mitochondria9 at Oct 9, 2009,
Quote by Mitochondria9
Exactly why he shouldnt get one.

EMGs are not versatile.

If you put an H4 or an 81 in your bridge, you wont be able to play much anything except metal or hard rock.

Duncan JBs and DiMarzio Super-Ds are alot more versatile.

actually, they sound awesome clean, and turn down the tone by a couple of notches and the volume by2 and its smooth. there are differences in tone between the passive and the active, just turn down the distortion.
Quote by footsteps7173
actually, they sound awesome clean, and turn down the tone by a couple of notches and the volume by2 and its smooth. there are differences in tone between the passive and the active, just turn down the distortion.

Im sorry, but the 81 and H4's cleans are *nothing* compared to a passive Duncan JB or Jazz or 59, or a DiMarzio Super-D or Air Norton.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by Mitochondria9
Im sorry, but the 81 and H4's cleans are *nothing* compared to a passive Duncan JB or Jazz or 59, or a DiMarzio Super-D or Air Norton.

well, i guess in the long run, its really about personal preference. true they arent the same, but each has its different unique pros and cons. if i played more light stuff, i might go with a Duncan. but still, i play more upper end. for a metal humbucker, it is very versatile.
Quote by footsteps7173
well, i guess in the long run, its really about personal preference. true they arent the same, but each has its different unique pros and cons. if i played more light stuff, i might go with a Duncan. but still, i play more upper end. for a metal humbucker, it is very versatile.

I guess we'll just have to disagree.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Its passive.
and thanks for the post but I'm really not a fan of EMGs. I feel that they have a bit too much of gain. The notes don't sound very clear...at least to me. I do mainly play metal but a lot of times I do like to tone it down and go slow and smooth. I have another guitar for metal playing. I'm planning on making this a completely versatile guitar, something I can have fun with.
Quote by maggot4life
Its passive.
and thanks for the post but I'm really not a fan of EMGs. I feel that they have a bit too much of gain. The notes don't sound very clear...at least to me. I do mainly play metal but a lot of times I do like to tone it down and go slow and smooth. I have another guitar for metal playing. I'm planning on making this a completely versatile guitar, something I can have fun with.

lol. i still got the standard neck in my strat. even consider the Fender Vintage Noiseless Strat Neck/Middle Pickup. its a 'flowing' pickup
If i were you guys I would get better amps before arguing about the tone of PU's, I run actives. My esp 7 has SD blackouts, my c7fr has EMG 707's. I can get amazing cleans out of them. Amps and pedals are 95% of the tone of the guitar. But on subject for passives I would suggest the duncan JB bridge, and the dimebucker (tho you cant be sloppy with that it will pick up every little mistake). Really what it comes down to is your amp, if you have a low budget amp no PU will sound good.
Quote by DimeLvR
If i were you guys I would get better amps before arguing about the tone of PU's, I run actives. My esp 7 has SD blackouts, my c7fr has EMG 707's. I can get amazing cleans out of them. Amps and pedals are 95% of the tone of the guitar. But on subject for passives I would suggest the duncan JB bridge, and the dimebucker (tho you cant be sloppy with that it will pick up every little mistake). Really what it comes down to is your amp, if you have a low budget amp no PU will sound good.

Regardless of amp, I think EMG cleans arent comparable to passives. Sure a 60 can do well, but I still dont think its the same.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Last edited by Mitochondria9 at Oct 9, 2009,
I got an Ibanez 100 watt amp. TB100R. Also have a Digitech GNX4. However, I'm pretty sure its pickups that I'm after since a lot of the times I use direct plug in into the computer.
If you record directly then pickups are actually the least of your worries.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by darkcheef
DiMarzio Air notion

Cant go wrong with an Air Norton of PAF Pro.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
dont listen to anything anybody says here until you go to both the dimarzio and seymour duncan site and do the pickups chooser wizards! they narrow your choices down greatly. It gets you to enter the tonal features of your guitar (like body wood and stuff) and the point of you getting the new pickup and stuff (like more output, more warmth etc) and then gives you the 3 best options.
Last edited by shredder408 at Oct 10, 2009,