Ok Pit, I need some help on this one. I am by no means a computer genius so here it goes. I want to overclock my processor but I'm not sure how high I could or if I should even do it at all.

Here are my specs on my Dell XPS M1730 (it's a laptop):
4GB RAM
Intel Core 2 Extreme X9000 Processor that runs at 2.8 GHZ, overclockable up to 3.4 GHZ
320GB Hard drive 7200 RPM
Two Nvidia GE Force 8800M GTX combining for 1GB onboard RAM

If there's anything else you need to know just ask and I'll answer right away. I should also mention I have a cooling pad for it that works quite well. Thanks for the help ahead of time.
More hassle than it's worth TBH. Yes, you have a cooling pad BUT the internal heatsinks were designed to run stock, same applies for the heatsinks on the PWM and Northbridge / Southbridge and the RAM. Your RAM may not like overclocking and what happens if your cooling pad fails or you don't have it with you??

Why do you want to overclock your laptop??

SH
don't OC a laptop. How do you expect to cool it? PC's can add massive fans and control the airflow or even get water coolers but a laptop, that sits nice and warmly on your lap? don't do it.
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
Can't play Wow anymore eh?
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by SmellyHarold
More hassle than it's worth TBH. Yes, you have a cooling pad BUT the internal heatsinks were designed to run stock, same applies for the heatsinks on the PWM and Northbridge / Southbridge and the RAM. Your RAM may not like overclocking and what happens if your cooling pad fails or you don't have it with you??

Why do you want to overclock your laptop??

SH

Well the cooling pad is powered by a USB port and I always take it with me when I go anywhere with it. As far as why I want to overclock it, I figured why not? When I bought it, it said "overclockable up to 3.4 GHZ" so it seems as if it wouldn't be a problem.
agreed. OCing a laptop is asking for disaster. unless you plan on sitting in a 50degree(F) room or colder AND running a cooling pad you're not gonna get much OC out of it without overheating while stressed.

EDIT: no cpu has a set OC-ability. each cpu is different because the manufacturing process never ends up with precisely the same product...just close. you may get 3.0 or 3.1 out of it...without overheat...maybe. but this won't be much of a difference and what would you do if your cooling pad just....stopped working or something. then you have no laptop until you get a new pad.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Last edited by Revelation at Oct 9, 2009,
Quote by gsd65
I don't play WoW haha. Try Crysis and the new Diablo when it comes out :p

Diablo won't be coming out until well after Starcraft 2 is released. blizzard themselves announced that...so the earliest i'd expect D3 is fall 2010.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by Revelation
agreed. OCing a laptop is asking for disaster. unless you plan on sitting in a 50degree(F) room or colder AND running a cooling pad you're not gonna get much OC out of it without overheating while stressed.

EDIT: no cpu has a set OC-ability. each cpu is different because the manufacturing process never ends up with precisely the same product...just close. you may get 3.0 or 3.1 out of it...without overheat...maybe. but this won't be much of a difference and what would you do if your cooling pad just....stopped working or something. then you have no laptop until you get a new pad.

Actually, in the BIOS, you can literally just select it and move the slider over. There's an actual option to just overclock it.
Quote by Revelation
Diablo won't be coming out until well after Starcraft 2 is released. blizzard themselves announced that...so the earliest i'd expect D3 is fall 2010.

Make that 2011. They won't release two of their major three games + Cataclysm to their third the same year.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by Revelation

I know :p I don't mind waiting on it. The real world will keep me busy enough until I get out of grad school.
Quote by gsd65
Actually, in the BIOS, you can literally just select it and move the slider over. There's an actual option to just overclock it.

That's not overclocking TBH... It takes hours to get a stable OC out of any machine as so many things dictate how much a system will overclock. TBH the gains from 2.8 to 3.4 GHz will be minimal anyways, go to 4GHz and we're talking business...

SH
Last edited by SmellyHarold at Oct 9, 2009,
edit^
Best Avatar EVER!
Quote by gsd65

I think his point was that each processor has it's limits. You could set the slider to 100% and your pc probably won't start.
To OC you need to find the middle of gained speed and stability.
Also, to TS, why do you want to OC? it won't have much impact on the usual laptop things like movies, music, internet.
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!