Hi, I'm looking to buy a new amp. I play a esp ltd ec 400. I'm huge into hardcore, thrash, death metal, etc. I was wondering if the line 6 IV spider 120w would be sufficient. I'm leaning toward line 6 because of all the effects. It might not produce the richest sound, but it'll defiinitely keep me busy messing around with loops and such. Any help?

also i really only want to spend around 500$.
CBlaiZed
The Spider series are nothing more than practice amps - you don't need a 120w practice amp.

If you're wanting to get something with a lot of effects thats going to sound good look into a used Line 6 Flextone.
+1 to the Flextone, it's about the same price used as what you want, and it's so much better.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
i tried out a new spider 4 yesterday and it sounded pretty phat, lots of people say they suck but its all down to personal opinion and what you think sounds good.

i personally like them and am considering getting one too, i am also into hardcore, parkway drive etc and it can pull that off,plus the effects on it are pretty sweet

they also do a valve amp version of it too, its 40w but about as powerful as a normal 100w solid state so no worries, £400 so convert it and i dont think thats miles of your price, best thing to do is go and try it out for yourself
You can pick up a Line 6 Spider Valve 112 for $500 on ebay and craigslist very easily. It's a far superior amp, with all the effects and sound tweaking options you'll ever need.
It's not ideal for home use, granted, but that's normally the case with valve amps. It only means you're required to spend more time with it to coax out the warmer tones.
The Peavey Vypyr Tube 60, B-52 AT-112 are also worth looking into. They are both within your budget and solid valve amps.
I used to have the 75W spider III, and it was pretty damn loud if you cranked it up. Of course, it sounded like a bucket of ass at that volume. If you're seriously contemplating a spider amp, go to guitar center and crank one up as loud as they will let you... they sound pretty crappy. at the normal "jamming" volume like most people play in GC, they sound halfway decent, but it fades fast. as others have mentioned, there are several other amps in the same price ballpark that sound much better.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
tell us your nearest major city so that maybe we could find something really good on craigslist
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
You can pick up a Line 6 Spider Valve 112 for $500 on ebay and craigslist very easily. It's a far superior amp, with all the effects and sound tweaking options you'll ever need.
It's not ideal for home use, granted, but that's normally the case with valve amps. It only means you're required to spend more time with it to coax out the warmer tones.
The Peavey Vypyr Tube 60, B-52 AT-112 are also worth looking into. They are both within your budget and solid valve amps.

IM getting the b 52 mainly because its somewhat of a rectifier, hi gain amp for under 400 and its all tube! i am so looking foward to it

EDIT:ive heard people bitch about how you need a noise gate and how the cleans arent all that great.
But for under 400 you cant really argue....
Last edited by stalestrings at Oct 9, 2009,
the spider 4 are better, but they still suck in general.

flextone, or vypyr, or cube, or valvetronix, etc.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

I tried the Line 6 Spider IV 75W a few weeks ago. It was sh*t. I was hoping it would be an improvement over the Spider 3 but I heard NONE. Cleans sound decent but the distortion is still digital as hell.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
If you have an absolute need for a modelling amp try the Line 6 Vetta II if you can stretch your budget or if you can't the Flextone used should be in your budget.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
http://neworleans.craigslist.org/msg/1400870270.html

SHAPOW
Line 6 Flextone 3 for $450. $50 under your budget, and well worth it. PLUS it comes with the footswitch. Do yourself a favour and get it.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.