Just bought a set of EMG Zakk Wyldes and the whole thing comes with solderless connections including the pots with a weird circuit board that everything screws into.

This seems great. . . . .

Until you come to fit them to a Les Paul, which correct me if im wrong, is pretty much the main reason people purchase this set - The long shafted pots.

They only supply four short shafted pots now, you have to Email EMG and they will send you the Long shafted pots free of charge.

This sucks massive balls. MASSIVE BALLS.

I've gotta wait ages for the pots and I wanna fit em now but cant. If anything they should have put the long shafted pots in the set not the short. Fkin idiots.

I'll get some pics up of it all in a while, does look pretty cool with the no soldering.
You could've easily checked before, and I think it's actually pretty cool that they don't charge anything for it.
Quote by mitchibanez
You could've easily checked before, and I think it's actually pretty cool that they don't charge anything for it.

Had no idea they'd changed to solderless sets and didn't supply the long pots anymore. I must have bought over a dozen ZW sets before so was a bit of a shock. Its not cool that they dont charge anything for em, they should just put em in the set as usual like they've always done.

The box says nothing about the content anymore either. Its well annoying.
I bought a set of these like a week ago and my pots fit fine.
dude stop your bitching gibson are one of the only guitars that use the longer poles it would suck more balls if they only came with those rather then the standard knobs. be thankfull that this company is wiling to work with you answer phone calls or email or whatever and send you the other knobs FREE OF CHARGE that is more than 99% of bussinesses would do.

you should have looked it up before you purchased so you would have evrything ready when you got the pickups. pluss the knobs are SOLDERLESS meaning you did not waste almost 2 hours soldering evryting together only to find out they dont fit and then undo 2 hours of wasted time. not to mention the burned and bloody fingers.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Yeah some posts are really offensive towards him, but I do understand that you didn't expect it if you bought some sets before and they weren't the same! Just a reminder for next time tbh. :p
I'm still thinking about getting a set, not sure if EMG's are what I want.
Quote by Emergancy Exit
dude stop your bitching gibson are one of the only guitars that use the longer poles it would suck more balls if they only came with those rather then the standard knobs. be thankfull that this company is wiling to work with you answer phone calls or email or whatever and send you the other knobs FREE OF CHARGE that is more than 99% of bussinesses would do.

you should have looked it up before you purchased so you would have evrything ready when you got the pickups. pluss the knobs are SOLDERLESS meaning you did not waste almost 2 hours soldering evryting together only to find out they dont fit and then undo 2 hours of wasted time. not to mention the burned and bloody fingers.

The pickups are the same price as when they supplied the two sets of pots. So you still pay for the pots in the price of the pickup set but have to go round the houses to get the pots you need. The whole point of a ZW set is that they are EMG's direct replacements for a Gibson Les Paul.

I did just say that I had no idea the sets had changed, the site on-line had the old box on the site so I had no reason to suspect otherwise.

As for the solderless pots etc, if it takes 2 hours and you end up with burned and bloodied fingers after soldering I suggest you get someone competent to wire em up next time.
Last edited by jscustomguitars at Oct 9, 2009,
Not complaining about the solderless setup by the way, its awesome. Just pissed at the lack of the long pots.
Will do, cant see any issues arising really, looks really straight forward. Only problem there might be is with guitars with small control cavities like explorers etc, might be problems fitting the circuit board in as well as the battery.
Quote by jscustomguitars
I've gotta wait ages for the pots and I wanna fit em now but cant. If anything they should have put the long shafted pots in the set not the short. Fkin idiots.
An email to EMG with the details of why this is a poor choice would be in order. Drop the "Fkin idiots" part if you wanna be taken seriously, though.

It would make a ton more sense, business-wise to put the long-shaft pots in this set as standard. Even though they costs a bit more, they would save on all those shipping costs for getting the pots to customers who need them.

In most guitars that DON'T require long-shafts, they can still be used by adjusting the backup nut on the shaft to the appropriate height.

By doing things as they currently are, EMG is not only causing customer inconvenience, they're also reducing their own profit. A lose-lose situation, if ever I did see one.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I did put a few well chosen words in the email to EMG requesting the pots explaining my frustration and the effect that putting only short shafted pots in a set thats meant for Les Paul's would have, but I suspect it'll fall on deaf ears. "FKin idiots" didn't make the email though although it pretty much sums them up.
^Well, the solderless bit is ingenious... If you like your connections to be soldered then I suggest you dismantle your combo amps and replace the clip-on connectors that you're very likely to find in there.

I understand JS' gripes just fine... Long-shafted pots will only cause problems for people who would fit them into very, very thin guitars because you can always back the nut up quite a bit, so by supplying those they'd never have to mail replacements to anyone.
Git EMG X's
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
^They're all shipped the same.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by Pikka Bird
^Well, the solderless bit is ingenious... If you like your connections to be soldered then I suggest you dismantle your combo amps and replace the clip-on connectors that you're very likely to find in there.

I understand JS' gripes just fine... Long-shafted pots will only cause problems for people who would fit them into very, very thin guitars because you can always back the nut up quite a bit, so by supplying those they'd never have to mail replacements to anyone.

I'm not saying I'm totally against solderless...
I know where there are solderless clips.

I've had bad experiences with cables, and with the solderless wiring connections at work. I trust a solder joint a lot more.
i think that the zakk wylde set has less of the les paul replacement inclination to them anymore i think they are more like "if you wanna get zakk wylde sound get theese" type thing now. they are supposed to fit in evry guitar now
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E