It's a bit long , but i like it
Inspired mainly by late death but with originality.
Attachments:
ProgDeath.zip
R.I.P.
Chuck Schuldiner 1967-2001
Ronnie James Padavona 1942-2010
Darrell Lance Abbott 1966-2004
Jon Nödtveidt 1975-2006
Per Yngve Ohlin 1969-1991
Øystein Aarseth 1968-1993
Joe Ptaceck 1973-2010
Ace Börje Thomas Forsberg 1966-2004
Last edited by Simon Blackwing at Oct 10, 2009,
Really awesome song, i would love to hear a recorded version of the song!
Quote by Chikarai
Really awesome song, i would love to hear a recorded version of the song!

+1
Man, this song doesn't sound like Death. Maybe only the bars 35-42...And what the hell with the Standart tuning? 0_o Death-metal in E standart? o_0 Death tuned their guitars whole step down, you ought to know this. But...it's not too bad. The song isn't great, but cool
Quote by Tom Araya
Man, this song doesn't sound like Death. Maybe only the bars 35-42...And what the hell with the Standart tuning? 0_o Death-metal in E standart? o_0 Death tuned their guitars whole step down, you ought to know this. But...it's not too bad. The song isn't great, but cool

Whats wrong with death metal in E? Opeth does it. Theres no need to be like almost every metal guitarist on the planet.

Anyway, great song. The clean parts were great. So was everything else. Didn't really sound like death to me ,but still, it was great.

C4C?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=21901121#post21901121
Quote by Tom Araya

I know death use tuned down guitars but what's the problem using E standard?
R.I.P.
Jon Nödtveidt 1975-2006
Joe Ptaceck 1973-2010
I wrote it in E standard because my guitar was tuned in E standard, I usually write in -2 step
R.I.P.
Jon Nödtveidt 1975-2006
Joe Ptaceck 1973-2010
Quote by salamander121
Why are you being an elitist? 0_0

This is his thing.
He was supposed to be banned, last I remember. This wasn't too far back either. Probably like a week and a half ago.
He's very antagonistic and the definition of a troll.

On the piece, it wasn't too bad, leads where good, and everything fit very well. Perhaps too well. It didn't have all that much excitement or progression in it. The repetition of the same riffs with no variation also wasn't helpful.
I'll say it again; leads are pretty good. Just work on more powerful riffs.
Quote by salamander121
Why are you being an elitist? 0_0

He's not really being an elitist, just a douche. Death tuned a whole step down which means you have to...? Like someone else said above me, Opeth use standard tuning and have produced some of the sickest prog-death I've heard.

On topic, this song is wicked man. Some awesome melodies and textures, the only thing I would change, or add rather, is some more interesting bass work and perhaps drums. I reckon some groovy bass lines and jazzy drums (Cynic style) would really give this piece a lot more flavor and give it that final bit of depth.
Last edited by DEATHPANDA at Oct 11, 2009,
The intro seems really drawn out. The build up is cool, but it seems like you went a little overboard. The anticipation for the verse gets lost amongst what seems like endless build up. The tempo change riff at bar 47 starts out good, but it grows to sound more out of place as it goes on, although it definetly grows on you as it's repeated.

The tempo change at bar 63 again sounds very awkward, although it could work with something to interchange it. I love the fade out into that heavy metal riff at the end though, and the tempo change after that fits the song well and changed my mind about that particular riff.

I still found the change back to 90 bpm very awkward the second time, needs something to tie it together so it makes sense. From then on the music changes ALOT for that brief period there, sounds like a completely different song and you might find better use for that by expanding it and using it for a different piece.

Take all my criticism with a grain of salt though as I'm not quite able to figure out the style you're trying to get at.

C4C :P
I really like the intro, and the long build-ups, but I just had a thought that you could maybe add some low keyboard/strings too it while building up, since the bass is also playing a melody it maybe misses that deep/full sound to back it up, but that's just a thought, it already sounds great as it is so..

Nice riff at bar 19, but when you get to bar 23, maybe do a little more on the drumtrack, now it maybe is a little too subtle

really like the riff starting at bar 37, so freaking awesome

Riff at bar 47 is also really nice, reminds me a bit off old in flames, nothing I can say about this really

bar 55 and on is a nice change, gives it a different feel, and the high bends on the guitar at bar 61 really add that little extra

not much too say about the rest till bar 92, sounds great too me

in bar 96 you used a little tapping piece, but maybe it would be nicer if you'd just hammer-on/pull-of, and let it fade a little bit? Don't know what kind of effect you want to create with it, but that would be my thought

I can't say anything about the rest of the song, except that the ending is little too sudden, so maybe you could just put something behind it, a little fade out or something

all in all, awesome piece, definitely a 9.9/10

Care to crit my piece?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1214452
Intro builds up nicely, acoustic, distorted chords, then some nice melodic lead guitar and then harmonies, all good. Bars 19-26, the drums could build up more. Some cymbal hits/bass drum could help out, and a drum fill before the beat comes in. And speaking of the beat (doublekick/snare) why is there no hi hat or ride :P Helps to keep that drumbeatish feel. Just placing an open hi hat or ride cymbal with the snare hits would help. bar 35, I think it could be written better, the riff doesnt really sound like a quintuplet riff, I think triplets in a 5/4 or 5/8 time sig would be better, and might be beasier to write drums that fit the feeling more. Drums could be heavier and build up better once again for some more impact. Bar 47: The riff is rather good, drums sound more powerful here, and the ride cymbal bit is good too. The rest of the song is mostly repeating stuff, but it works nicely. I think working on the drums would pay off well, as the song seems a little flat, just a series of riffs and stuff. Not sure if I would call it progressive death metal.

Overall, most of the riffs are fine, just work on the build ups and the overall feel of the song, and im sure it will sound great 6/10.

C4C?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1216277