Poll: Epiphone Les Paul Custom or PRS SE Singlecut
Poll Options
View poll results: Epiphone Les Paul Custom or PRS SE Singlecut
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
15 47%
PRS SE Singlecut
17 53%
Voters: 32.
I've been looking around my local guitar shops for both, but unfortunately, they don't have either. I'm thinking of buying either one of those, since I just got a new practice amp (Vox Vt30). I'd appreciate any helpful reviews. Thanks.
So do you know how much each weigh? Looking at the PRS, it looks lighter. I'm hoping that doesn't affect the sound.
Being an Epi LP owner I would recommend the LP, especially if you can find one that is well-made with good wood. After you buy one I would recommend a pickup swap because they stock pickups aren't very versatile and can be a bit muddy, especially on the clean channel. In my experience a Epi LP with a good setup, some upgraded wiring, a bone nut installation, and other small upgrades. Adding locking tuners is a definite plus as well. I know that's a lot of modifications, but just by putting an extra couple hundred dollars into the guitar it can sound infinitely better. A bigger investment that would help greatly would be to add new pickups because the stock pickups can be a bit muddy. In fact, I'd probably recommend that you simply buy a regular Epi LP Standard because there's not a great difference between the Customs and the Standards in my opinion, and it'd be better to put the extra money into specific upgrades.

I've played a few different SE copies and I've never liked the fretboard, but perhaps it was because it wasn't broken in well enough. I honestly don't know about SE's well enough to make a truly informed opinion, but there are legions of SE users on here so you should be able to get some good advice from them.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
I forgot to mention, I'm a Jazz, Classic Rock, Hard Rock kinda guy. (Led Zeppelin, Spinal Tap, Pearl Jam, Joe Pass, The Eagles, etc.)
Between those two, I found the PRS SOUNDED better (well I played a custom 22, but they're almost the same guitar), and was also considerably lighter. However, the Epiphone's neck felt more comfortable to me (PRS neck felt kinda awkward). Also, the Epi has a carved maple top. The PRS just has a flamed maple veneer (if you get a trans finish that is).

Best thing I can suggest? Go to a store and try them both. Seriously.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Get the lp standard, not enough difference from the price range of the epi custom and standard IMO.
Don't get standard or custom, get Ultra. I'm not gonna bother explaining it all in this post, but the LP Ultra II is one of the most amazing guitars I never knew about. Look it up. Similiar price to the Custom, but much better features.
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
Quote by Phantom123
Don't get standard or custom, get Ultra. I'm not gonna bother explaining it all in this post, but the LP Ultra II is one of the most amazing guitars I never knew about. Look it up. Similiar price to the Custom, but much better features.

I've actually tried out the Ultra (my cousin owns one). Although I thought it was pretty good, I just didn't like the sound of it.
Quote by Natrone
Between those two, I found the PRS SOUNDED better (well I played a custom 22, but they're almost the same guitar), and was also considerably lighter. However, the Epiphone's neck felt more comfortable to me (PRS neck felt kinda awkward). Also, the Epi has a carved maple top. The PRS just has a flamed maple veneer (if you get a trans finish that is).

Best thing I can suggest? Go to a store and try them both. Seriously.

Yes try them out first if you can. And the PRS's SE had a plain maple top with flamed veneer. But yes it is a flat top. With a solid finish you still get the plain maple top with natural binding...im pretty sure
I would get the Epi, I think the PRS looks cheap and i didn't like the neck. You could get a Schecter, very well built for the price, Duncans come stock LINK!
I'd get the PRS. I found they play better and have better stock pickups than Epi (not difficult, considering the fact that Epi's stock clunkers are some of the worst out there).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.