My friend were talking about adding a fan into my amp to help cool it some. It would be a pretty simple modification, but would it cause noise or any other problems?
“In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free. The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?”
the only noise you would probably here is the fan spinning which shouldn't be very loud at all.....
I've never really done this but go for it,it should be fine
I suppose it would be much easier just to put a fan behind it.

But I suppose like the guy above me said, if its meant to run hot, let it be.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
1st off - electrical equipment (except the actual tube) is never "meant to run hot." It wasn't designed to. It's just that sometimes the heat doesn't mess it up, so there is no need to fix it.

This excess heat can eventually cause components to drift. This may be desirable, but if the heat is excessive, this could cause malfunction somewhere in the circuit. The Marshall DSLs and TSLs are notorious for this.

My suggestion, is to not mess with a fan at all. You'd have to add ventilation somewhere within the actual amp chassis, which would cause small metal burrs to be drifting around in there. This could cause a lot of problems.

If there is any concern with a particular part, just replace it with a stronger component. Do NOT change the value. If it is a 220k 1/2w resistor, maybe change it for 220k 1w resistor.

This would provide better protection than a fan.
How are you planing on powering the fan? You may have to find an external transformer that is 12 volts DC, which is the norm for brushless computer fans.
The standby led runs on 12v, a simple mod and I wire it into that.
“In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free. The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?”
Quote by end_citizen
My suggestion, is to not mess with a fan at all. You'd have to add ventilation somewhere within the actual amp chassis, which would cause small metal burrs to be drifting around in there. This could cause a lot of problems.

Not if he's just going to be blowing air on the tubes. I don't actually know what this would do to them.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Not if he's just going to be blowing air on the tubes. I don't actually know what this would do to them.

i'd have the fan make the air flow out myself. so instead of pushing air in. pull it out. and add a couple holes for flow on the opposite end.
Quote by JesusLives
The standby led runs on 12v, a simple mod and I wire it into that.
unless you are absolutely certain that 12v supply is for ONLY indicator lamps and relays, tagging motor into it would be unwise. The electrical noise from the motor could work its way into the audio.

There are plenty of cooling fans that run on 120 or 240 VAC. Just arrange the wiring to the fan so it isn't near any of the signal wiring near the input of the amp.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.