Yeah, I know I've posted like three threads about it, but people told me to be specific, so here I am again...:p

I'm looking for a cheap, versitale higain tube amp, I do gig, and I can go used, the price limit is to about to 1700-2000 dollars..

hope that tells enough
get a used mesa triple
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
check out splawn. i would personally stay away from any of the mesa boogie rectifier series if you have that much to spend.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
diesel or bogner
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
No, that doesnt tell me enough. is it USD, CAD, AUD?

Also, what particular tone are you looking for - name some bands. High gain doesn't tell me anything.
Quote by pmeg568c
check out splawn. i would personally stay away from any of the mesa boogie rectifier series if you have that much to spend.

WHAT?
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
No, that doesnt tell me enough. is it USD, CAD, AUD?

Also, what particular tone are you looking for - name some bands. High gain doesn't tell me anything.

American dollars, Im from Norway, so I dont know exactly how much that is, but pretty close.

I want low end Meshuggah tone to John Petrucci lead type, I can of course buy some pedals, but the amp I have now dont do much justice with pedals....
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Well Meshuggah use Line 6 Vettas and JP uses pretty much every higher wattage Mesa under the sun.

Haha, I know that, but I dont like Vetta, I meant old type meshuggah tone, and only TYPE tone, not exactly like JP tone, that would be very expensive for me.... and Im very poor for the moment ; )
Last edited by Sweepie at Oct 9, 2009,
ENGL Powerball, ENGL Fireball, ENGL Blackmore, Diezel Einstein, Orange Rockerverb 50, Brunetti XLR-Evo 60, Framus Dragon, Peavey 6505+, Hughes&Kettner Trilogy, Hughes&Kettner Switchblade, Blackstar Series One, Randall RM100, etc.
since your in europe, maybe ENGL fireball?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
ENGL Powerball, ENGL Fireball, ENGL Blackmore, Diezel Einstein, Orange Rockerverb 50, Brunetti XLR-Evo 60, Framus Dragon, Peavey 6505+, Hughes&Kettner Trilogy, Hughes&Kettner Switchblade, Blackstar Series One, Randall RM100, etc.

I've thought about the powerball and the 6505+ but the powerball is sooo expensive here in Norway....
Thomann.de

Musicstore.com

??

If that is still over your budget wait until one crops up on ebay. Some UK sellers and German sellers will ship to the majority of Europe. It may of course take time to find a good deal like that. And in that time you could of saved up that little bit more and bought it brand new with a warranty and 30-day money back guarantee, but still, take a look.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Thomann.de

Musicstore.com

??

If that is still over your budget wait until one crops up on ebay. Some UK sellers and German sellers will ship to the majority of Europe. It may of course take time to find a good deal like that. And in that time you could of saved up that little bit more and bought it brand new with a warranty and 30-day money back guarantee, but still, take a look.

Looks good, I dont care if its shipped from Germany really, The price is about the same anyways..

I feel like a noob now but, what is the difference between the 6505 and the 6505+ ? xD
Quote by SLonergan
WHAT?

i personally don't like them? They aren't really a high gain amp anyway. They have less gain than expected and are very undynamic and boring to me. there are way way way way better amps in that price range that aren't overpriced bs
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Quote by Sweepie
Looks good, I dont care if its shipped from Germany really, The price is about the same anyways..

I feel like a noob now but, what is the difference between the 6505 and the 6505+ ? xD
Don't feel like a noob—it's all good.

I don't know fo sho, but essentially the 6505+ has an extra channel over the 6505, the cleans are supposed to be slightly improved, and a tiny amount of the gain has been removed. That's debatable, however.
It houses more preamp tubes, which I assume means it'll sound more modern. The gain will be directed mostly from the six 12AX7's, while the older model only has five 12AX7's. I suppose it signifies less preamp gain and more power-amp gain, which is more for blues and hard-rock, while the preamp gain is desirable for heavy-metal and stuff like that.

Once again, I can't say for sure, other folks will know more than me.
I've thought about either the 6505, Marshall Jvm 410 or the Engl poweball, but the powerball is to expensive, the marshall doesnt have that amount of power I am looking for, but I can allways get an EQ pedal, and 6505 sounds great, and many of my fav. bands use them, In flames used them on Soundtrack and Come Clarity, and I love there tone there, but again, I dont feel like the 6505 is so versitale like the 410 :p

So im kinda in a dilemma here..
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
since your in europe, maybe ENGL fireball?

Not versitale enough for me : p
Im very specific about my gear... I spent two years looking for the perfect guitar for me.. lol
Quote by pmeg568c
i personally don't like them? They aren't really a high gain amp anyway. They have less gain than expected and are very undynamic and boring to me. there are way way way way better amps in that price range that aren't overpriced bs

If the OP could get a 2-channel Recto, however...

I say ENGL Blackmore.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Sweepie
Not versitale enough for me : p
Im very specific about my gear... I spent two years looking for the perfect guitar for me.. lol

A Randall MTS amp is one of the most versatile amps out there. I highly recommend you look into it. For modules, i suggest getting a Salvation 1666.

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=7373

He might be able to use any hi gain module for it, but you'll have to ask. Anthony's mods are great; i have yet to see a bad mod and doubt i ever will. Some other mods of his that you might like is the Deadplate, Mamba, Stonoverb (it can cover the entire spectrum and more), Angel (final touches are being made, should be available soon), Custom 3, and Benzin.

As far as stock module go, the Grail, SL+, Ultra XL, and 1086 are great for hi/mid gain stuff. For cleans, the Blackface is one of the best, but the Clean is good too. If you don't like the tone you get, then you can always send it to Anthony. As far as cleans go, his LoneClean mod is amazing. Here some clips of all his mods:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=909142&content=music

Good Luck.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
The 6505 has the potential to be optional if you so desire. Learning how to tweak the controls and how to utilize your pedals in correspondence with the amp is a great way to maximize your tone. Tubes can be changed, new speaker cabinets can be bought, bias mods can be done—all ways of altering the sound of your amp to the way that you want.

I'd stay away from teh JVM if you can. I mean, if you like to tone, fair enough, but otherwise, it's nothing special.

How about an ENGL Blackmore? It's better than the Powerball—from clips and reviews, anyway—and is about €300 cheaper. Someone from Europe was selling one for €750 the other day. A guy named Mark G. Nice guy.
Guys if its 1700-2000 NOK then he's got 300-350 USD
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Last edited by WSR66 at Oct 9, 2009,
^

Oh man, are you serious?!

I'm really sorry, TS. I didn't realise.

edit: no wait, in the OP he mentioned USD. That would be roughly 16,000 NOK, if I remember correctly.
Last edited by AngryGoldfish at Oct 9, 2009,
You are right : )
WSR66 failed : )
Yeah, I checked the blackmore out on youtube, its sounds awesome : D
Why not just play some first? Asking what amp/guitar/pickup you should get is like asking someone what ice cream flavor tastes best.

If you're asking because you're planning on ordering online then you'd have to be crazy to spend that much on something and not be able to hear it first.

I say look around locally. Tell the local dealer you'll give him the online price for it. He'll go for it. He won't make as much but he'll still make money and you'll get an amp you like and you'll be supporting your local shop.
Quote by Rick540
Why not just play some first? Asking what amp/guitar/pickup you should get is like asking someone what ice cream flavor tastes best.

If you're asking because you're planning on ordering online then you'd have to be crazy to spend that much on something and not be able to hear it first.

I say look around locally. Tell the local dealer you'll give him the online price for it. He'll go for it. He won't make as much but he'll still make money and you'll get an amp you like and you'll be supporting your local shop.
I don't wholly agree. Some people don't have the opportunity to evaluate amps that are as uncommon as ENGL Blackmores. I live in Ireland, I can't play Diezel, Bogner, Framus, Brunetti, Budda, etc. The only way for me to experience these tones is through clips, going on holiday to Germany (which I'm doing) or buying them and sending them back.
I purchased a Framus Dragon without trying it, I bought a Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier without trying it, I bought a Line 6 Flextone III without trying it. I didn't regret doing so even though they are all gone now.
For instance, the Framus was great (apart from the low volume issues) but it didn't suit my band. How was I to know that in the shop? I had to buy it and test it out properly to come to an accurate conclusion. It cost me £70 in shipping, yes, but I'm more knowledgeable for it.

I recommend asking the local retailer whether they will stock the amp you are looking at, but to be honest, the times that I've requested that, they've said I have to pay a deposit of up to £200.
The reason why there are on-line shops with a 30 day money back guarantee is so people can buy them and test them out. I know there are other reasons for that commodity, but that is essentially what thomann will say to you if you ask: “Buy it, try it, if you don't like it, send it back to us. No problem, people do it all the time.”

I wish I lived beside Guitar Centre, GAK or thomann, but I don't. I live in the back ass of nowhere.
Same thing with me... I live about and hour away from the closest music store... and its as big as my bedroom...... You cant even by a 0.56 string there..
And Norway is a really small country, and I live in the middle of nowhere, so if I should try something at a big store, I have to travel atleast 4 hours to get there..
Titan amp
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
1,700.00 NOK = 301.149 USD
Norway Kroner United States Dollars
1 NOK = 0.177146 USD
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Deizel Amps are great. They go ultra-high end yet hold amazing clarity.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society