I wanted to see how much MIM fenders cost new and I couldn't find any online. I looked on fenders site, I looked on musicians friend and guitarcenter. I googled "fender mexico" I didn't come up with anything. Does anyone know a site where I can do some shopping for MIM guitars?
no sir away a papaya war is on
basically all the cheap fenders are mexican made and then around $1000 the american made start appearing
They're called Fender Standard Strats/Teles. Those are just MIM Standards, you get the American ones called American Standards.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by britishsligean
basically all the cheap fenders are mexican made and then around $1000 the american made start appearing

He's right.
All Fenders that say Standard, Classic Player, Highway 1, ... In the name are all made in Mexico. Only the American Standard and American Vintage series are MIA.
oh okay. so fender standard = mexican. and american standard = american.

is there a code word for MIJ models as well?
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by TheOpenMind
He's right.
All Fenders that say Standard, Classic Player, Highway 1, ... In the name are all made in Mexico. Only the American Standard and American Vintage series are MIA.

Highway Ones are MIA aren't they?

And there isn't really a code for Japan ones, but you can always tell by the reviews of gutiars and all that.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker

And there isn't really a code for Japan ones, but you can always tell by the reviews of gutiars and all that.

I don't think Highway 1s are MIA, but I'll do some research and report back in.

EDIT: It seems they are indeed of American make.
Last edited by TheOpenMind at Oct 9, 2009,
I'd typically take a MIM over a H1 though, it comes down to the individual guitar but I've played many more good MIM's than H1s.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
MIM Tele = Decent, MIM Strat = not so good. The pickup are just plain horrible with the MIM Strat. Nothing that cannot be fix though.
Quote by Symtex
MIM Tele = Decent, MIM Strat = not so good. The pickup are just plain horrible with the MIM Strat. Nothing that cannot be fix though.

I disagree, pre 2005/4 the pickups were actually pretty good. You can always improve stock pickups though i.m.o
You should really play the guitar first if you're really planning on buying it. I bought a MIM Strat off of musiciansfriend, and I got really lucky. It plays amazingly.

But if you get a MIM you may eventually want new pickups too.

....lacechromedomes.
Quote by Matt-92
I disagree, pre 2005/4 the pickups were actually pretty good. You can always improve stock pickups though i.m.o

Yeah, I have a 04 MIM strat and think the pickups sound just fine. Sure, not as good as an MIA, but not bad at all.
If you are looking to buy a Mexican-made Fender, I would highly recommend playing a few before purchasing. The quality control is spotty but if you dig a little, you can definitely find a good one.
#48 of the Fender Armada
#2 Omar Alfredo Rodriguez-Lopez fan club

Gibson SG Standard
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Fender Mustang
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by Lil Macker

Highway 1's are american made w/ mexican pups, I think