Page 1 of 2
have you ever heard a song and thought, "damn, I wish I had written that?" have you ever been to a show, and found yourself later that night, crying next to your toilet, clutching a half empty bottle of Taaka vodka, yelling, "why not me? why can't I sound like that? WHY, GOD!? WHY!!??!?!??"

okay, maybe not, but envy is present in us all. so, what bands do you want to sound like? or do you want a unique sound, something fresh and new that isn't trite or a copy of a copy?

I want to be different, but sometimes it feels it's all been done before. but I'd like to have a Husker Du/Knapsack/Heavy into Jeff/Soul Coughing/Punchbuggy sound. some amalgamation of things I love...
Quote by MakinLattes
have you ever been to a show, and found yourself later that night, crying next to your toilet, clutching a half empty bottle of Taaka vodka, yelling, "why not me? why can't I sound like that? WHY, GOD!? WHY!!??!?!??"

No.. no I haven't.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
It always changes for me. It's usually

- A true-blues style like peter green's fleetwood mac

- A grunge band with simple yet heavy riffs (think Nirvana's "bleach" album)

- A funk/alternative band (think the chili pepper's "blood sugar sex magik" album)
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Classic Vibe '60s Tele
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15
50s Stella Parlor Acoustic

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
Anything from Ben Folds, incredible musician.
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Van Halen. Soloing not so much, but the riffsare killer
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
I've never really wanted to be like damn " I wish I had written that" more like "damn, I wish I could be that OG". I think thats what you really mean correct me if I am wrong
I want to go as far to the edge without going over. Out on the edge, you can see all kinds of different things.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Emulate?

I think I'm more creative than that.

While protecting your ego with that statement, you're hiding the fact that you'd love to conjure up Rush's sound in your writing.
Equipment
Ibanez RGT42FX
Takamine G406S
Randall RG100G3
Digitech Metal Master
In the mighty words of Anthrax:

"Out of sight, out of mind
It was yours, but now it's mine
Take a riff, take a line
Out of sight, out of mind"

Stealing music is alright I guess?
Omar Rodriguez-Lopez's solo work.
The Fall of Troy
Hella
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
Quote by chrismetal86
I've never really wanted to be like damn " I wish I had written that" more like "damn, I wish I could be that OG". I think thats what you really mean correct me if I am wrong

yeah, I don't necessarily mean copy word for word, or rip off someone else's sound. more like the same feel, or thinking "I wish I could be like that," to evoke the same emotion. damn literal thinkers.
I want to be more like a member of NWA. Just saw a picture of Ice Cube fishing with a life vest. Epic
ABBA
Quote by The_Casinator
I'm sure this is done before...

hey, I know how to use the search bar. it's right there. sure, I only did a cursory search, but, dammit, I tried.

and

Quote by ChucklesMginty
Emulate?

I think I'm more creative than that.

the proof is in the pudding.
Last edited by MakinLattes at Oct 9, 2009,
Sorta. i try and make my a music a bit of a merging style between blues rock a la led zeppelin, and a more atmospheric "delayed" U2 style.
I suppose the answer would have to be something like the raconteurs, Gov't Mule, or the Black Keys, highly blues influenced rock
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
The Beatles in 1965/66/67

After all the Beatlemania, and before they went all weird (but still good)

They just had that awesome feel to them.
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
Quote by Grindar
In the mighty words of Anthrax:

"Out of sight, out of mind
It was yours, but now it's mine
Take a riff, take a line
Out of sight, out of mind"

Stealing music is alright I guess?

Stealing music is alright, I see nothing wrong with it. I've realized and everybody should realize that songs just get written over and over just by different people. Its pretty much just written in your style. Every ten years or so though another band will pop up that is ****ing grade A and original but that takes a lot of real wit and creativity. Then again, this is just what I think
I want to go as far to the edge without going over. Out on the edge, you can see all kinds of different things.
Quote by Aidy Damage
Innovate- don't emulate.

even the greatest innovators have influences. its all been done before.
I sort of want to mix Children Of Bodom, Fear Factory (mostly pre-2002), Lamb Of God.
CoB's leads & solos, FF's heavy riffs & cleans, LoG's awesome riffs.
Quote by Aidy Damage
Innovate- don't emulate.

I can appreciate that, but it really is easier said than done. as has been said, everyone has influences. no idea comes from a vacuum. I wonder what the results would be if they did, though?
Quote by Aidy Damage
Innovate- don't emulate.

everybody has influences

nobody is saying we want to copy things verbatim, just that we'd draw from their take on music
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
While I agree with the "don't emulate" idea I often hear songs that I just wish my compositions sounded like. Mostly things with a lot of energy behind them, you know those simple riffs that sound amazing... A lot of Thin Lizzy stuff does that to me, and John Petrucci's Glasgow Kiss and Wishful Thinking.
I couldn't be arsed making up a good username so I used my name and some random numbers.

Gear:
Ibanez JS1200
Yamaha APX700
Roland Cube 60
I think emulate is a bit of a strong word. However, what I would emulate is the mood and feel that the music I love conveys. In that sense, I would be like a combination of Lamb Of God, Metallica, and Trivium.
Some people just wanna watch the world burn. Wanna join me when I take my turn to pour the gas, light the match, see your world flip upside down and drop until it's inside out?
um, swings between 60s pop (think The Beatles, Kinks, Who, Small Faces, Zombies), early psychadelic type stuff (think Monterrey rather than Woodstock, early Hendrix/Floyd up to DSOTM and The Who live from The Tommy/ Live at Leeds phase. Also, The Jam's early sound, and, when i'm full of testosterone, AC/DC and Thin Lizzy live.
Paul Gilbert. Everything about him is just awesome. He's extremely talented, yet incredibly humble and down to earth. And he doesn't dress up like some girl-jean wearing emo douche when he plays.
Quote by Sewn Up
what I would emulate is the mood and feel that the music I love conveys. In that sense, I would be like a combination of Lamb Of God, Metallica.

This, i'd love to be able to sing like blythe or play any instrument like any of these people, and then the way they get the crowd going is phenomenal. I wish i could 'emulate' the impact bands like metallica have had on millions of people.
Prince. Definitely Prince. I'm pretty sure that he actually has his own soundtrack playing in the background wherever he goes. Said soundtrack induces mass orgies when heard by crowds, thus Prince's reclusive lifestyle.
porcupine tree, as you can tell haha
also the heaviness and acoustic-ness of opeth, the psychedelic-ness and awesome-ness of pink floyd and some awesome-ness of dream theater too

that would make me the best writer in the whole world xD
There is a very thin line between an artist... and a serial killer
Quote by MakinLattes
have you ever heard a song and thought, "damn, I wish I had written that?"
X Japan - Art Of Life.
I mostly try to emulate the jangly style of The Smiths plus the dissonant riff-age of Dead Kennedys, along with the jarring, choppy chords of Gang of Four, all put together with the atmosphere of Wire's Chairs Missing.
Alot of stuff by Fightstar and Avenged Sevenfold and Muse.

However what I'm writing recently is like a mix between Fightstar, Kings of Leon and Waking The Fallen era Avenged Sevenfold. Its kinda weird.

Like clean arpeggios similar to Fightstar, overdriven leads and solos similar to KoL and crazy heavy riffs like A7X.
Last edited by EndTheRapture51 at Oct 9, 2009,
The sound I want is a Tool kind of sound. Not a complete rip off, but having some of that feel to it. Unfortunately, I suck at writing anything, so I fail miserably.
it depends on anyones mood and what they're listening to at the moment.when i feel insulted, like now lol i want to create some form or Slipknot+Mindless Self Indulgence+Children of Bodom and just rip someone a new face and blow their mind cuz it's never been done before.
and some of these people have got to learn to appriciate the music rather than **** talk eachother
I'd love to be able to make music like Sparta, especially on their first album. Or Angels & Airwaves first album, or Thrice's Alchemy Index- Water, or Silversun Pickups' first album. The mood of all those songs is close to how i intend for my music to come out a lot of the time.
Page 1 of 2