alright peeps,
i was just playin and my b string snapped and i think i know the reason.

the string broke right at the bridge and when i looked at the broken end it was not a clean straight break it was angled perfectly, so i think there might be somethin wrong with the saddle. its not my pick angle cuz i hold the pick at an angle always(.60mm nylon jim dunlops). and the strings were brand new i just strung it a week ago(.10 GHS boomers)

this old country player showed me how to string a guitar and he told me "never take all the strings off at the same time, do it one at a time" and thats what i usually do, but i want to clean my frets and clean out the saddles cuz i noticed some gunk in there which i think might be the source of the string break. so i guess my questions are:

Is it ok to take all your strings off all at once then string rather than one at a time?

Is it possible that the nasty black **** built up in the saddle the source for the string breaking?

any help would be much appreciated!!!
Since its the first time you broke a string in 3 years, I wouldn't jump to conclusions so quickly. I think it was just a bad string. Just the other day I bought myself some elixer 9 gauges. When I strung up the high e, I got up to a d when I was tuning it up, and it snapped. Brand new high e snapped. That was just a bad string because it has'nt happened again.

I only take off all my strings at once when I have to clean and condition the fretboard.
Stuff:
-Orange Tiny Terror head
-Roland Cube 20x
-Ibanez SA
-Ibanez RG7321
-Fender MIM Strat
-EB Music Man SUB 1
You can take off all the strings at once with no harm to your guitar.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
all stringscan be taken off...the whole thing about it being bad is nonsence (supposedly), ive taken them all off and its still fine

mate after 3 years you expect a string to tear, hell after 3 months mine would tear under a bend (has before...ouch!)
I just bought a pack of strings and my b string broke while I was tuning at right after stringing it. The bridge is most likely not the cause, it was just a faulty string. Most guitar stores will replace it if you still have the receipt since manufacturers give a warranty.
It's different if you take off the strings and leave the guitar like that for a couple of days or so I guess. But I always clean my fretboard and other places I can't reach with the strings on when I change strings, so I take them all off every tiem. And all my guitars are doing just fine =)
PRS SE Custom 22 <3
Fender Stratocaster '57 RI
Fender Super Champ XD
Tanglewood TW115 CW
Taking off all the strings at once is fine; it's the only way you can clean a guitar properly. If the string broke at the bridge it might be something with the saddle, it might have some dirt in it or it may need sanded slightly.
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
it's either a bad string or a saddle that's gone bad
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty