Page 1 of 2
maybe the mic is placed so perfectly that it sounds good?

Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Quote by sammo_boi

this plus the help of a really high quality mic plus EQ after the video.
I bet the clean sounds like ****.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by stalestrings
this plus the help of a really high quality mic plus EQ after the video.

Yeah, you'd be amazed how much you can change the sound with EQ, compression, slight delay, etc after it's recorded.
Quote by -Collapse-
Yeah, you'd be amazed how much you can change the sound with EQ, compression, slight delay, etc after it's recorded.

Yeah its most likely something along those lines...
I rememberred playing a 30w MG (before hear about how awful it is)And i was excited
since it was a marshall i thought oh this thing is going beast.I plug it in and it sounded like the amp was farting.
This is kind of old. But eh. It sounds good for an MG. But, i never thought they sounded bad for there purpose.
Quote by nickdohle
This is kind of old. But eh. It sounds good for an MG. But, i never thought they sounded bad for there purpose.

For the price I think it's ridiculous though. $650 for the halfstack? What a rip.
Its Rob Chappers, ofc it sounds amazing

..i mean...not Rob Chappers in anyway. I mean The Subway Bandit.
Rhythm In Jump. Dancing Close To You
Quote by -Collapse-
For the price I think it's ridiculous though. $650 for the halfstack? What a rip.

if you have 650 bucks to spend on your amp, your probably experienced enough to know you dont need a beginner's amp. Or a halfstack.
sounds alright. but EMGs in solid state? is this guy stupid? no purpose. and hes got it mic'ed up. who knows what hes got going on after that mic. and editing. idk, maybe its just that guy bothering me.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
Quote by flanders_91
sounds alright. but EMGs in solid state? is this guy stupid? no purpose. and hes got it mic'ed up. who knows what hes got going on after that mic. and editing. idk, maybe its just that guy bothering me.

The EMGs could be to prove a point. Not all SS amps fail with EMGs, just most.
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.

Perforation of women guaranteed.
lol at everyone in denial. Most people who criticise MGs are just parroting what they've heard elsewhere and have probably never played one.
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
I used to say in no way they could be as bad as people said they were.. But I wouldn't give a standard opinion until I had proof.

Then I played one.
It was the worst amp I've ever played.. I was shocked at how bad it sounded.
Like, it was really crazy.
I can't describe how horrible it is.. I couldn't even play on it. I'd strike a chord and stop it immediately because of how bad it sounded.
Eventually I actually did play on the amp.. and it was still a nightmare. The clean channel I got to sound half-decent but if you picked just a little too hard it'd distort.
No matter what EQ and gain setting was used.. it was still a nightmare.
It was kind of like.
If you have like a multi-effects pedal with a like 'pre-amp' setting for an amp model or something.. like on some of the PODs.. it sounds like that.. but just a bit worse.
It sounds sort of like.
Wait.
okay. it sounded alot like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyz6TEjXqX0
just without the effects of course.. and it was worse.
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Oct 9, 2009,
Quote by sammo_boi

That chick is really ugly unless you look at her from the exact perfect spot.
People play up their bad tone. In my opinion they're not horrible, just very boring. Secondly the quality is HORRIBLE. But most of all, why defend them? There are so many better choices out there. People here are saying they aren't as bad as people say. Sure they aren't. But compare that clip with the clip of my Blackheart, which is cheaper than many of the larger MGs and try to tell me the MG is a better choice.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Last edited by Gabel at Oct 9, 2009,
1. The quality of sound is horrible.
2. EMGs through SS amps = badbadbadbadbad
3. Probably post EQ'd in a DAW after it got recorded.

MGs aren't bad, they're just mehh......

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by nickdohle
if you have 650 bucks to spend on your amp, your probably experienced enough to know you dont need a beginner's amp. Or a halfstack.

That's the point. What did you think I was talking about?

It's an outrageous price for a beginner's tone, half stack or not.

What you said is somewhat false.
There are many 13~ year olds with parents money that can get "that marshall half stack." For 650 you can still get a half-stack, but a much better one, or an awesome combo. If you want a half stack, ****, get a peavey Windsor for 675, or a used tube half stack from ebay or craigslist. You'll be happier for the value, and have an amp you can play for years to come, rather that realize 6 months later, you bought a beginner's tone when you could have had an intermediate to great tone for the same cash.

MG's are indefensible.
It's not about whether "their tone isn't that bad." The point is you can get a worlds better tone for the same amount of money, so there's no excuse to settle for buying one.

Have I played one? Yes.
Did I like it? No
Was it the worst sound ever? No
Are there better options for the same price? Definitely.
The video obviously has been worked with post-production, but the new MGs do sound better than the last model (though thats still not saying much.)
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by -Collapse-
That's the point. What did you think I was talking about?

It's an outrageous price for a beginner's tone, half stack or not.

What you said is somewhat false.
There are many 13~ year olds with parents money that can get "that marshall half stack." For 650 you can still get a half-stack, but a much better one, or an awesome combo. If you want a half stack, ****, get a peavey Windsor for 675, or a used tube half stack from ebay or craigslist. You'll be happier for the value, and have an amp you can play for years to come, rather that realize 6 months later, you bought a beginner's tone when you could have had an intermediate to great tone for the same cash.

MG's are indefensible.
It's not about whether "their tone isn't that bad." The point is you can get a worlds better tone for the same amount of money, so there's no excuse to settle for buying one.

Have I played one? Yes.
Did I like it? No
This. You're pretty much paying for the Marshall name

Anyway, that guys a pretty good guitarist, and that was probably the most entertaining guitar video I've seen on youtube.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
still sounds crap and sterile to me. IMO the MG simply has no redeeming features.

I have an MG 30FX and the redeeming quality for me is not the tone. It's actually that it's a good enough practice amp for beginners and intermediate. Although the peavey vypyr may be betterits still a good enough amp for practice.
Yeah, the new FX series are pretty decent.

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Thats Rob Chappers, and he could and has made even a roland micro cube sound good.
Quote by -Collapse-

MG's are indefensible.

Have I played one? Yes.
Did I like it? No

My point exactly! I see more and more people saying that they aren't that bad. Valid, but they aren't that good. The thing with MGs is that no matter how much you turn it, you can ALWAYS do better basically. It's an amp that's WAY overpriced. Listen to my Blackheart and tell me an MG (which is more) will sound as good with a straight face.

Keep in mind Rob is a Marshall endorsee, basically he can't have their amps sound bad, can he? Sure he's pretty good, but he's far from an unbiased source.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
The new MGs are definitely better than the old ones, but they're still not worth buying. Why buy "it's alright I guess" when you can buy "actually surprisingly good" for the same sort of money?
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I have the last generation MG. The clean isn't too bad, but the OD is horrible. It's just a 15 watt MG for practice though. I wouldn't get an MG for anything more than bedroom practice.
Quote by fantasyh
'Cause this sound pretty good, and with EMGs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72xuDFravT0&feature=player_profilepage#at=395
Tough he kinda fails at the end with the Zakk Wylde mention

COOL story bro !!!

Wrong forum bro ...
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

it didnt sound too bad, really annoying video though i hate how he plays for a few seconds and then it cuts to him rambling about some ****, bandit tone? the highlight of the video was the ltd spalted maple is dead sexy
Deals done with:
lfrz93
mmjohn
Quote by jc349
1. The quality of sound is horrible.
2. EMGs through SS amps = badbadbadbadbad
3. Probably post EQ'd in a DAW after it got recorded.

MGs aren't bad, they're just mehh......

actually, that's a bit of a myth. there's no real benefit to having active pickups with solid state amps but it doesn't hurt the tone either, provided the amp can handle the additional output, at the input stage. My friend at college with his EMG equipped gibson les paul studio proves this - he got an incredibly awesome classic rock tone out of a peavey envoy 110 - i know that it wasn't the EMGs making it sound good (probably a mixture of his ability to play, and his guitar's naturally very very nice sound), but they definitely weren't hurting the tone at all either.

just to add to this, i like the new MG4 range. other than the razor-edged control knobs that so many of them seem to have. The sound is actually pretty good for a cheap analog solid state, provided you know how to use it. sure there are better amps, but they don't deserve to be tarred with the same brush as the old models simply because they are still called the "MG". the old models deserved all the bashing they got though. There really was nothing good about them.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Blompcube
actually, that's a bit of a myth. there's no real benefit to having active pickups with solid state amps but it doesn't hurt the tone either, provided the amp can handle the additional output, at the input stage. My friend at college with his EMG equipped gibson les paul studio proves this - he got an incredibly awesome classic rock tone out of a peavey envoy 110 - i know that it wasn't the EMGs making it sound good (probably a mixture of his ability to play, and his guitar's naturally very very nice sound), but they definitely weren't hurting the tone at all either.

just to add to this, i like the new MG4 range. other than the razor-edged control knobs that so many of them seem to have. The sound is actually pretty good for a cheap analog solid state, provided you know how to use it. sure there are better amps, but they don't deserve to be tarred with the same brush as the old models simply because they are still called the "MG". the old models deserved all the bashing they got though. There really was nothing good about them.

People go with what they hear. Everyone mentions how crap they are yet have never played or owned one. Loads of people claim they played one at a music shop, whilst saying they've played loads of everything else.

The problem with this is that
A) people who already have gear don't go to the shops.

B) even if you did, 5 mins per amp isn't long enough to truly test it out.

These people just pretend they've played them, when really all they've done is heard everyone else talk about it. Bandwagoners.

PS, i think they're crap too btw. But, i have 2 MG3's. I would steer away from buying the new one because of the name, because it's essentially an MG with an analogue circuit, so i'd still be put off.

Also the very fact that he's a Marshall endorsee and has it mic'd leads me to think it's had a far more professional job done on the sound than a normal bedroom player would get.
Last edited by Ikonoklast at Oct 10, 2009,
i played one yesterday

It sounded quite good, really compressed though

it was a 15 btw
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by 4_string_fury
it didnt sound too bad, really annoying video though i hate how he plays for a few seconds and then it cuts to him rambling about some ****, bandit tone? the highlight of the video was the ltd spalted maple is dead sexy

I agree. It was so hard for me to watch that video. Clappers may be good at guitar but he should stick to real videos.
Page 1 of 2