i'm looking for an amp to replace my cheap tenson scream 15, i'm considering the epiphone valve junior or the ibanez valbee. i've seen both in the amps that are highly recomended in the sticky section, my question is which one is better.
i play all types of rock, some blues, and some metal. i have a ds-1 and an epiphone g-400.
i personally like the features of the ibanez but it is not as cheap as the valve junior.
any opinions or suggestions for other amps are greatly appreciated.
i have a budget of about €250.
blackheart:british rock 80's sound.
epiphone valve jr:great for blues can do an AC DC type of sound.
Peavey vypyr: extremely versitle great for metal and can clean up on for a clean tone.
roland cubes.:very versitle also except this is more of a older rock amp too(maiden and other tones alike.)
Laney cub:very bluesy sounding amp pretty good over all.
Quote by stykerwolf
Blackheart BH5
Epiphone Valve JR
Peavey Vypyr
Roland Cubes
Laney CUB

I would stay away from the Valbee, i personally didn't like it at all

the blackheart is abit to much.
i'm trying to stay away from modelers as i only got my ds-1 in the last few months and it would become redundent.
i'll try have a look at a cub if i can find one.
Fender champion 600.

Great cleans, nice blues overdrive and takes pedals really well. Cheap too.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Vox AC4TV, nice cleans and a great OD when cranked. It's switchable to 1 watt or 1/4 watt for bedroom playing. With an OD pedal added on top it should easily handle some metal.
Vox AC4TV maybe but it won't do the metal tones.

EDIT: ^ Damn you!
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
Vox AC4TV maybe but it won't do the metal tones.

EDIT: ^ Damn you!

I imagine it'll handle the metal with a bit of help. I'd say it'll handle it a lot better than the Fender Champ or Valve Jr. It gets a good amount of gain on it's own when cranked, more than I usually need to be honest.

EDIT: yea I should have edited that in, with some sorta OD on top of the Vox then it should handle all but modern metal really. As you're only playing some metal TS the Vox should be great for you, suits most rock and blues great.
Last edited by aaronni at Oct 9, 2009,
Quote by aaronni

I imagine it'll handle the metal with a bit of help. I'd say it'll handle it a lot better than the Fender Champ or Valve Jr. It gets a good amount of gain on it's own when cranked, more than I usually need to be honest.

True, it just depends on the metal he's playing. If he's not playing anything more recent than 80s metal, he'd be fine but if he wants modern tones, he's gonna need a distortion pedal. But it definitely gets more gain than the VJ and especially the Champ.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
You'd definitely want an extra OD pedal pushing the Vox but it would handle those 2 fine I reckon. It's not really voiced towards metal but I can't think of any small tube amps that are. The Blackstar HT-5 would probably handle the metal stuff better but it should be out of your price range.
Quote by aaronni
You'd definitely want an extra OD pedal pushing the Vox but it would handle those 2 fine I reckon. It's not really voiced towards metal but I can't think of any small tube amps that are. The Blackstar HT-5 would probably handle the metal stuff better but it should be out of your price range.

the blackstar is miles away, i hear the blackheart can play metal well and it's a 5 watt but it is close to the same price as the blackstar, the nearest i can think that will play all of the styles i'm looking for is the laney cub 10, but it is borderline on my budget and i can't realy push it up anymore, the cub 8 seems good but i haven't seen a demo realy do metal on it.
Try an ibanez valvebee
If you don't know me then your life sucks

Gear
SX Acoustic
Quote by Lomu
Try an ibanez valvebee

that was one i was looking at i mentioned it in my original posts, in my opinon it has alot of features that i like such as a standby, 3 band eq and a headphone out, the only thing i don't realy like about it is it has an odd speaker as it's only a 6.5" speaker whilst all the rest are 8" so if i wanted to change the speaker it would be abit hard to do so.