Anybody have any info on these being good or bad. Just saw an add where the Studio is $999 which is a huge mark down from the last I saw them. Are these things pretty bad?
Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus w/ '60s neck
Ibanez JEM 7V
Jackson SL2H Soloist
PRS Singlecut SE
Marshall JVM410h
Marshall 1960a 4x12
Line 6 Pod x3 Live
In my mind, they are a waste of money. Tune your guitar yourself, it's not that hard. Why pay extra for it.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
What is confusing me here is the robot version costs less than the regular studio.
Ibanez JEM 7V
Jackson SL2H Soloist
PRS Singlecut SE
Marshall JVM410h
Marshall 1960a 4x12
Line 6 Pod x3 Live
For $999, yes.
Make sure you play one first though, I went through 9 studios in shops before I got mine, and it will probably be the same for these.
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

SuperLol'd
I looked around on Google and i found this,

Pros: Great LP tones, really cool tuning system

Cons: Expensive, reliability issues, tuning can be off

The Bottom Line: The LP Robot guitar is a big step forward in alternate tuning technology--it actually changes string tuning--but is pricey and maybe unreliable.

Hmm, the "tuning can be off" part, would put me off buying it!
But it is a pretty cool guitar overall.
If the biggest con is the price, that isn't an issue anymore with them trying to blow these things out. I will run to the shop now and check them out and post here a little later what I find.
Ibanez JEM 7V
Jackson SL2H Soloist
PRS Singlecut SE
Marshall JVM410h
Marshall 1960a 4x12
Line 6 Pod x3 Live
Quote by ominous24
What is confusing me here is the robot version costs less than the regular studio.

it's like that because guitarists are idiots who don't like change or innovation. They've sold really badly so shops that stock them are desperate to get rid of them. even if it's at a loss (it isn't at the moment, or at least I doubt it is), they'll still be getting some money back.

they are a studio with extra bits on it. the same way the VG is an american standard with the midi pickup thing.

to pay more for the exact same thing minus a useful on stage tool is pointless.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Oct 9, 2009,
Local store had 10 when they came out, they all were bought before they went on sale. There is one there now and nobody wants it.

IMO they are asking a lot for something that any self respecting guitarist should be able to do themselves. Sire it's cool, but for that price there are more important things to look for in a guitar.
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.

Perforation of women guaranteed.
I used to think the Robot guitars were useless since they were so overpriced, but the recent price drops make them a very tempting guitar to buy. Very very tempting.
Gear
Warmoth Stratocaster
Jackson KE3
ESP LTD EC-256

Bogner Alchemist 2x12
Vox AD30VT

Gator GPT-PWR Pedalboard
MXR CAE MC-404 Wah
BBE Boosta Grande
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Line 6 Uber Metal
I have played every one I have come across and they all fail. It's just a gimmick that was just added to try and sell guitars. Tuning themselves is no big deal as far as I am concerned. It's the way they sound, feel and play that is horrible compared to other Les Pauls. Save yourself some money get a better Les Paul and a good tuner.

John
They make me wish I had 1000 dollars to spend. I only played one for a few minutes, but it seemed nice enough.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Ok, just played about 10 of them. Like many studios, I had to search for a good one, and there was one that played pretty nice. The fact that I don't NEED a Les Paul made me walk around the store for about an hour deciding if I should get it or not.

The tuner worked pretty neat but I had no idea how to change the tunings, I guess the book would be important here. Stringing this thing must be a mess because there are winders enclosed under the tuners.

I decided I didn't feel like dropping a grand on a guitar I really didn't need even though it didn't seem bad.
Ibanez JEM 7V
Jackson SL2H Soloist
PRS Singlecut SE
Marshall JVM410h
Marshall 1960a 4x12
Line 6 Pod x3 Live
Get it, it is basically a cheaper studio model that you could tune, or the guitar can tune. Very reliable for live shows if you don't have a tuning pedal, or you need to change tunings really fast.
I haven't ever played Gibson's Robot Guitar, but I do have a Gibson Dark Fire, which uses an updated version of the system. From my personal experience, it is very nice to have. Tuning is accurate to within .7 cents, and it's nice to be able to go from different tunings quickly and with accuracy.

For the price of $999, I would check out the Robot Guitar. On a side note, I believe that Gibson will allow you to send in your Robot Guitar and they will upgrade it with Dark Fire hardware if you want to spend money on the upgrade. It should take care of the tuning issues present in the first generation.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
Quote by Doodleface
In my mind, they are a waste of money. Tune your guitar yourself, it's not that hard. Why pay extra for it.

So few words, so much wrong.

Do you really think that someone spending $1000 on a guitar can't tune one?

The point is to quickly switch to alternate tunings onstage. There are plenty of times when this is essential. For example, you might not want to carry extra guitars if there is limited stage space or you aren't taking a car to a gig.

It also makes intonation very simple, and that is something that is NOT ordinarily easy.

More importantly, you are not paying more for the guitar bur LESS. Compare the cost, also from Sam Ash or similar retailers, for a new "normal" Les Paul Studio - maple cap and hard case, unlike some of the budget models - and it is more than $999. Even without the robot tuning, this is a better guitar. The locking tuners are much better runers, even used manually, than the normal Gibson Deluxe tuners, and the Neutrik locking jack is a better jack.

So, if you NEVER used the robot tuning and only tuned manually (which is possible), you still get a better and cheaper guitar.
Seriously.. my stage appearances involve whacking mic stands, sweat and beer. How reliable are these things?
ita cheaper because the darkfire recently came out. Its the next in the robot line
Don't buy one used. Or if you buy one new don't sell it. Gibson is not selling any parts for this guitar to 2nd owners. So if it breaks your screwed.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Ehh. Considering the Blue/silverburst like color in the Robot LP, and it tunes itself to some extent, $1000 might not be too bad.

Everyone has said it. It's a Studio that can to itself, and it's also got a sick paintjob on it. I believe it's got the same pickups as a regular Studio as well.
The idea of the Robot is nice, but the execution is weird. The Robot system basically is only useful in a live gigging situation, especially for playing larger venues with a long set where you may need to change tunings drastically mid-set but don't have time to manually re-tune or don't want to leave the stage. However they're put into Studio and Special guitars which aren't good enough for the players who actually play the kind of gigs where the Robot system is useful. Sure, occasionally you'll find a Studio that's good, but most aren't and there are so few of the Robot model produce, you can't be as choosey as you can be with regular Studio and Special models.

If they put the same thing into Standards and kept stricter QC, it would be great. If they made a Custom Shop model with it, it could be the most important advancement in guitar technology since the humbucker was invented. But in a Studio/Special, it's just pointless.

edit: though I do still find it hilarious that even after all thee months there are still some people on here who don't even get what the point of the Robot system is or how it could ever be useful to anyone. "Hurf durf learn to tune it yourself" will never not be funny to me.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
good point-- no serious rockers use the studio
so put it in a normal les paul so it becomes a legit thing-- come on gibson--- your quality control blows-- and so do your ideas--
i think these are a pretty sick idea, but at the same time a pretty huge gimmick. i'm content tuning my guitar myself.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by Crohny
but at the same time a pretty huge gimmick. i'm content tuning my guitar myself.
Which is fine when you're in your bedroom but you're ****ed when you play Wembley Stadium. That's where the Robot comes in.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Which is fine when you're in your bedroom but you're ****ed when you play Wembley Stadium. That's where the Robot comes in.

i'm pretty sure most people who get to play wembley usually have a huge budget for transport, equipment, staff etc, so they can easily bring several guitars for each tuning they are gonna need to use throughout the concert, and can afford to pay someone tune their guitars backstage, and someone else to run onto the stage and hand them the next guitar and take the previous one back to the rack in a matter of seconds. i think the last thing they need to worry about is whether their guitar has a self-tuning system or not.

if anything auto tuning can only benefit people who gig around the pubs and clubs on a regular basis, who need to be able to switch between lots of different tunings but can only fit one guitar on the front passenger seat of their crappy little 2-door hatchback because the rest is full of the other gear they need. there's very few people who genuinely need one, basically.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp