Page 1 of 2
let you talk down prices? like at car dealerships where you can talk down the price a thousand or so? I have had mixed responses from friends saying that they don't allow heckling like that and then i heard someone else say that you can talk your way down a hundred dollars or so or get them to throw in a guitar case for free. so does guitar center let you talk down prices? or is it against store policy?
You should always try to haggle a little. If it works then good for you, if not, well, at least you tried.
I honestly had no idea. If I had, I obviously wouldn't have said it.
But yeah, try.
Last edited by Mudmen190 at Oct 9, 2009,
if you by a fair bit of stuff and spend a certain amount then they'll be prepared to do some sort of deal
It might be different at every shop. The worst they can really say is no.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
A few years ago you could, but now you really can't. They won't move on the price, and are no longer allowed to drop it. I use to be able to talk them down almost $100, and throw in string, picks, bags, whatever, but now they won't
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
Quote by Mudmen190
Cool question bro.
4srsly, try.

~reported~
if your going to use "cool story bro" use it at the right time.....
Quote by Capua47
let you talk down prices? like at car dealerships where you can talk down the price a thousand or so? I have had mixed responses from friends saying that they don't allow HECKLING like that and then i heard someone else say that you can talk your way down a hundred dollars or so or get them to throw in a guitar case for free. so does guitar center let you talk down prices? or is it against store policy?

I think you mean haggling.
No, they don't. I tried to see if they'd haggle or throw in a gig bag for my classical guitar I bought a few months ago and they were very rude about saying no. I actually went to buy it from a different guitar center because of how rude they were about it.
Quote by britishsligean
if you by a fair bit of stuff and spend a certain amount then they'll be prepared to do some sort of deal

I bought my amp from their and they included a pair of new strings so maybe.
I think they do more of the "whole-you-waste-your-childs-college-fund-you-get-a-free-pick-thing".
When I bought my Blackstar HT-5 I managed to haggle 25 euro off.
But in Belgium, the biggest instrument store chain is called KeyMusic, nad the guys there are pretty chill.
I bought a little squire strat for my cousin along with a little practice amp. The total was like 320, I had 280 in cash so I told the guy to charge the remaining $40 on my card.. But her just took the cash and said it was fine, and threw in a cable and a strap! So I'm sure there are ways of talking down the price.
When I bought my Telecaster I got $50 off and a free case.

Be sure your talking to the store manager. I don't think the regular employee will go for it but the manager might.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
It probably depends mostly on the sales rep.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

I did on my amp and my sg. that was a while ago. it depends. if it's used, usually you can a bit. Try to find some flaws in whatever you want to buy to help your case.
they might not be able to on new stuff anymore, im not sure. but iv been able to knock quite a bit off used stuff very recently.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
i haggled the price of a 700 dollar guitar down to 400 because it had 2 small dings on the back and a chip on the headstock.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
When I bought a standard Fender Jazz they gave it to me $50 bucks off because I had the wrong impression about the price. I think they mixed up some tags and just gave it to me for the reduced price. They guy seemed to be a bit higher up than the others so that could've been it too.
might try to get a line 6 for $1 then :P
Without music, life would be a mistake.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote by noob888
I love you for that thread...

Quote by MightyAl
I am now mentally scarred by the image of Peter Crouch getting penalised.
yeah, try your luck at it
i was able to get $50 off my new acoustic
Quote by Sicko 21X7
tremelo the brown note until she caves
At the guitar center where I go I buy a lot of gear so I don't even have to haggle with them, the guy I was talking to when I was buying my les paul was like "Oh yeah that's only been here for like two days so I can't get to much off but I'll see what I can do." In the end he got like $100 off and threw in a free hardshell case.
when i was working in a guitar centre, if you brought a pricey guitar then you usually were able to get things thrown in (gig bags, picks) or sometimes what we would do is if someone had broughta guitar and an amp we would take a bit of money off a pedal or do a rounded sum.

Only problem is you want to try and haggle in little independent stores and not the major stores like GAK, just because they'll probably laugh at you. Plus don't let them get you with the whole ' we really cant go any lower' ****, most mark-ups are a good 35% - 75% of retail.
Quote by freshtunes
A few years ago you could, but now you really can't. They won't move on the price, and are no longer allowed to drop it. I use to be able to talk them down almost $100, and throw in string, picks, bags, whatever, but now they won't

this.

I once had them send me a brand new guitar from the warehouse and throw in strings, strap, and picks for making me wait... tried that recently with other merch... it's the price listed or no sale

EDIT:
Still works at places like Daddy's tho...
Quote by funkbass369
i haggled the price of a 700 dollar guitar down to 400 because it had 2 small dings on the back and a chip on the headstock.

If there are any imperfections, even tiny unnoticeable-unless-you're-looking-for them imperfections, can take off some dough. TS, look for one with a ding.
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
I believe haggling is the word you're looking for. They probably do on really expensive merchandise, not so much on the lesser stuff.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
they can bump the price down on anything. if you're buying something expensive and a few cheaper things (strings, straps, cables) they can probably just toss those cheaper things in for free.
mention that you're low on cash or something and they'll work with you. it probably does depend on the person, but they all CAN come down on the price a bit.
Ooh!
One trick I always use it talk about how I'm short, and I'd have to come back in a week or two, and 95% of the time the salesman knocks off 10% of the price (granted the most expensive things I've bought are in the $350-$600 range) but hey 10% is 10%
Quote by Kensai
When I wear it I have to fight off women with a stick. Ifyouknowwhatimean.

Quote by daytripper75
Today, 2:51pm EST: Prodigy179 has officially hit puberty.

They're eating her! And then they're going to eat me!
OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-
when i bought my tele, i went during a sale which took like $45-50 off but i told him i wanted to spend like $20 less, so he said all he could do was not give me a gig bag and take off $20 and I just bought a $5 guitar stand, so , idk about straight out haggling

Edit: something i did (not on purpose) but i had a bunch of small stuff i really needed (strings, picks, strap) and i was like 5-6 dollars short, so the guy just took all the cash i had and deducted the price to exactly that, you could always try something like that
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...
If seeing is believing...

...Then believe that we have lost our eyes!!
Last edited by Clutch32192 at Oct 10, 2009,
Quote by blackthought
I haggle on picks, I usually get like a nickle knocked off. So far I've saved almost a whole dollar!

yes... but only if u wait til Memorial, Columbus, Veterans, Flag, Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, Labor, Presidents, Valentines, New Years, April Fools, May, Independence, Take your son to work, Halloween, Cervical Cancer Awareness, or Earth Day! and at any other of our FABULOUS ONLY HAPPENS ONCE A YEAR 40% OFF OF ALL RECORDING GEAR SALES!!!! I SOUND SO EXCITED RIGHT NOW BUT IM JUST AN ANNOUNCER WHO GETS PAID TO TALK LIKE THIS ON HOLIDAYS!
my friend used to work at guitar center
and he told me a few months ago that they were NOT allowed to haggle prices anymore.
apparently its a chain policy or something.
but it's always worth giving it a try, you might get a cool sales rep
YEAH DUDE
If you make a moderatley large pruchase, you can get them to throw in some small accessories or whatever no problem. Picks, straps, gig bags, etc.
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
Yeah they changed their policy. They're not supposed to haggle anymore, but if you act like you're on the fence about buying something they'll usually do some kind of discount.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
about 4 years ago I was able to haggle a les paul custom from 700 to 500 at GC.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Page 1 of 2