Thinking of getting a Les Paul type guitar, in black

I mainly play varied stuff from A Day To Remember, Fightstar, Trivium, Paramore, Kings of Leon to Muse so I'll need a guitar which can cope with all types of music:

Currently 2 guitars are on my mind: The Vintage V100BB, which is a black LP half way down the page: http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintageelectric.html
This will cost £290.

I'm also looking at this, the Agile AL-3100: http://www.rondomusic.com/al3100mop.html
This has an ebony fretboard also, which is an upgrade from the Vintage, and with a hard case and shipping costs around £320.

Which one of these would be better? And can you suggest any other guitars from other brands like Epiphone, Indie, Tokai etc. which are similar or better?

I'm not looking to pay over £400.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
id say the agile 3100
but if you can find a jackson thats used.
jackson are great guitar and usually very versital....
get a vintage or tokai as you can get hold of them pretty easily in britain, you could always try find an edwards or burny
What models of Tokai are good, does anyone know?

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Vintage, easy. Brilliant instruments, I'm thinking their on par with Agile if not better. I'd like to think of them as the Agile for UK.

No point wasting all that moneyz on shipping anyways.
Quote by Lollage123
Vintage, easy. Brilliant instruments, I'm thinking their on par with Agile if not better. I'd like to think of them as the Agile for UK.

No point wasting all that moneyz on shipping anyways.

Is it worth the extra £30 for the Agile, which has a hard case and ebony fretboard that the Vintage doesnt have though?

If your outside the US Agile offer NO return policy, so if it gets messed up in anyway your stuck with it. That being said, they are meant to be great quality.
Rhythm In Jump. Dancing Close To You
The Agile will cost over £100 to ship. Forget it. Vintage vary a lot on the QC so buy one from a retailer. You'll get a discount from JHS list price anyway. Lots of shops offer them at around £220.
But I wouldn't have either. www.tcellisguitars.com has superb Les Pauls with a proper 15mm flame Maple cap, Ebony boards, brilliant electronics, hand finished and set up by a real pro for £295 with a hard case. Phillip Campbell of Motorhead now gigs with one. A friend of mine just got one of Ellis' other models and he's raving about it being a match for a top PRS. That's where I'm going for a LP in the New Year.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

If you can get a hold of ESP LTDs, then definitely check out the EC-256. It is nicely aged in black or honey burst, very light, easy to play, and looks great. Great quality too. I'm really impressed by the quality of cheaper guitars nowadays, even when they are made in China, like the new LTDs
Gear
Warmoth Stratocaster
Jackson KE3
ESP LTD EC-256

Bogner Alchemist 2x12
Vox AD30VT

Gator GPT-PWR Pedalboard
MXR CAE MC-404 Wah
BBE Boosta Grande
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Line 6 Uber Metal
Quote by EndTheRapture51

I'm not looking to pay over £400.

don't get the agile, then, because I'm assuming you've forgotten about customs and VAT which you'll get hit with if you buy anything from outside the EU.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by EndTheRapture51

the love rocks are good les pauls
I've got a Vintage VS6, their SG copy. Better than every Tokai i've played, feels better than or as good as any guitar i've played. Pretty good stock pickups, though i'm changing mine soon. Great instruments.
Quote by EndTheRapture51

the japanese-made ones are, by and large, badass.

Quote by willT08
I've got a Vintage VS6, their SG copy. Better than every Tokai i've played, feels better than or as good as any guitar i've played. Pretty good stock pickups, though i'm changing mine soon. Great instruments.

have you tried any of the japanese-made tokais?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Agiles are expensive for shipping out of the US, with that said I have the 3100 in sunburst and it's one amazing guitar.
[[[The Game]]]
Quote by VictorVella

This thread proves Gigatiran is awesome, and a lot more awesome than your average awesome. I bet he even owns a duster like Dennis Reynolds.
Agile isn't even a viable option for the UK. You pay an extra third on VAT and customs (e.g. if you think that guitar costs £320 including the shipping, it will actually cost more around £430 once it goes through our import system) and if something goes wrong or you don't like it, you can't do anythign about it other than try to flog it as second hand and lose a large chunk of your money.

On the other hand, you can get Vintage Advance series guitars for less than the Agile would cost even if the VAT/import charges didn't apply, and a Vintage Advance model is so much better than any Agile/LTD/Epi/Rally/etc, it's almost depressing. A Vintage Advance AV1 costs around £250 at most places (ignore the RRP's on the JHS Vintage site - no shop sells guitars anywhere near any brand's RRP), can come with either humbuckers or P-90s, Wilkinson hardware (which, in short, is better than any of the hardware you'll get on any Agile/Rally/LTD, though the Epi hardware can compete with it) and they have a thumb cutaway above the neck for better fret access for people who don't have huge hands. They're built as well as any Epi LE/LTD-1000 series guitar and the materials they use are as good as you can get on any guitar below the £800 mark.

Vintage have the added bonus that loads of shops up and down the country stock them so you can easily go and try them out, make sure you get a good one rather than blindly buying online.

Tokai are indeed a good option too, as are the better LTD models and some of the Fret King guitars - but the Vintage Advance is definitely the best value for money, even if they doubled the price they would still be worth it.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by Lurcher
The Agile will cost over £100 to ship. Forget it. Vintage vary a lot on the QC so buy one from a retailer. You'll get a discount from JHS list price anyway. Lots of shops offer them at around £220.
But I wouldn't have either. www.tcellisguitars.com has superb Les Pauls with a proper 15mm flame Maple cap, Ebony boards, brilliant electronics, hand finished and set up by a real pro for £295 with a hard case. Phillip Campbell of Motorhead now gigs with one. A friend of mine just got one of Ellis' other models and he's raving about it being a match for a top PRS. That's where I'm going for a LP in the New Year.

Oh my....do they ship overseas?
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by Lurcher

That TC Ellis guitar looks amazing.

I'ma email the guy NOW.

Quote by MrFlibble
(a) Agile isn't even a viable option for the UK. You pay an extra third on VAT and customs (e.g. if you think that guitar costs £320 including the shipping, it will actually cost more around £430 once it goes through our import system) and if something goes wrong or you don't like it, you can't do anythign about it other than try to flog it as second hand and lose a large chunk of your money.

(b) On the other hand, you can get Vintage Advance series guitars for less than the Agile would cost even if the VAT/import charges didn't apply, and a Vintage Advance model is so much better than any Agile/LTD/Epi/Rally/etc, it's almost depressing. A Vintage Advance AV1 costs around £250 at most places (ignore the RRP's on the JHS Vintage site - no shop sells guitars anywhere near any brand's RRP), can come with either humbuckers or P-90s, Wilkinson hardware (which, in short, is better than any of the hardware you'll get on any Agile/Rally/LTD, though the Epi hardware can compete with it) and they have a thumb cutaway above the neck for better fret access for people who don't have huge hands. They're built as well as any Epi LE/LTD-1000 series guitar and the materials they use are as good as you can get on any guitar below the £800 mark.

Vintage have the added bonus that loads of shops up and down the country stock them so you can easily go and try them out, make sure you get a good one rather than blindly buying online.

(c) Tokai are indeed a good option too, as are the better LTD models and some of the Fret King guitars - but the Vintage Advance is definitely the best value for money, even if they doubled the price they would still be worth it.

(a) yup, exactly.

(b) i dunno about the vintage advances- the ones I've tried have been very variable. The QC seems to be all over the place (either that or we either get the rejects here in NI, or the shops which stock them here don't look after them at all). I'd definitely want to try before buying.

(c) i dunno about double the price, that'd put you within range of japanese tokais and the like, and I know what I'd rather have.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?