Really quickly.

I aquired a boss ds-1 today am having trouble taming its fizzyness and getting good amount of useable gain for blues rock.

My setup is
Gibson les paul-->boss ge-7-->boss ds-1-->Marshall jtm30 (all tube)

Cheers
Quote by metal_fretter
ok so iv started been shredding for a while now. and i was reading other threads and i was wondering, is shredding just playing random notes all over the fret board wherever i want. or am i supposed to shred in some kind of scale??
You can't tame the fizziness on a Boss DS 1, this is how it sounds
Get something better, or crank the f*ck out of your JTM
DS-1, softly put, is rather poor.

A nice Maxon OD808 will be perfect

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Tube screamer. + Les paul with tone and volume rolled off a bit + Silver Jubilee type amp + boss DD5 + reverb.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Well thanks for the honesty. Oh well........
Quote by metal_fretter
ok so iv started been shredding for a while now. and i was reading other threads and i was wondering, is shredding just playing random notes all over the fret board wherever i want. or am i supposed to shred in some kind of scale??
well like i say i aquired it and am trying to create a use for it.
I also like buckcherry/vr/gnr style rock..........
Quote by metal_fretter
You should overdrive the JTM - boost with a good pedal like tubescreamer or any other mid-booster - must have lots of mids in there - more volume!
Quote by les_kris
well like i say i aquired it and am trying to create a use for it.
I also like buckcherry/vr/gnr style rock..........

It's not gonna get those tones. The mids are way too scooped.

EDIT: I don't have a schematic with me but I think the tone stack of a DS-1 is post clipping. If it is, try boosting the mids and taking away bass and treble on the GE-7 and put it in front of the DS-1. You probably won't get any of the tones you're looking for but you'd get a half decent distortion tone.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Oct 9, 2009,
Yeah, you already have two pieces of the puzzle down pretty well (the LP and the JTM), now just get a tubescreamer or something, crank the volume and mids up, and you should like what you hear.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator