I like the dell inspirons.

I've had my 1720 for a year, not one crash or freeze yet.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
My Dell Studio 17 was 700 dollars and performs like a champion, I love it.

4 gigs of ram, 320 gb hard drive, "N" level wireless adapter, facial recognition security (pretty gangster).

I have it set up with a dual boot with openSUSE at the moment
My God, it's full of stars!
People spend too much on laptops. Thier slow improvement over the last few years does not warrant spending a lot. I spent $500 on a panasonic for my wife (l300 series, I think), and it is just fine. Spend the leftover $800 on other music stuff!!
Guitar & Bass
what are you using the laptop for? Dell inspiron is great for anything except gaming. almost all laptops you can buy is good for anything except gamming, actually.
If you want something for gaming and your willing to pay 1300, I'd recomment Alienware.
don't worry about brands, just find the ones that have everything you need and go with which ever one of those is cheapest, what's really important is what's inside the computer, not the name on it. So if you can get one for less that has the specs that you need compared to a more expensive one with the same specs, then why spend more for something that will do the same thing? unless you just really like a particular brand.. but i sold computers at circuit city for four years and i found that no matter what brand you go with, you have the same chances of having hardware/software issues.

If you're worried about having problems with a computer, investigate what types of extended warranties the MANUFACTURER offers, do NOT get a extended warranty from a retailer...

one more thing, make sure you wait until oct. 22nd so you can get windows 7!
get a mac!

that's coming from a windows user
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by themindbullet

one more thing, make sure you wait until oct. 22nd so you can get windows 7!

If you buy a compy with Vista preloaded now, you should be able to get a free Windows 7 upgrade, btw.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

the dell. based on my experience with HP i would not recommend them to even my worst enemy. poor build quality cant even begin to describe how terrible HP's QC is. their customer service is even worse. the dell is miles ahead of the HP.

that being said, do not get EITHER of those. if you are only looking at windows get the Asus C90. IMO the best windows laptop on the market right now. immensely customizable, HUGELY powerful, very technologically advanced, and Asus consistently ranks in the top 5 most highly regarded computer manufacturers. it is also only $850

if however you are feeling adventurous, do yourself a favor and get a macbook pro. i've got one and i dont even look at my windows computers anymore unless i feel like gaming or something.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Oct 9, 2009,
Quote by SteveHouse
If you buy a compy with Vista preloaded now, you should be able to get a free Windows 7 upgrade, btw.

Yep, Dell is offering free upgrades to Windows 7 for most of their computers (maybe it's just laptops?).

Mine qualifies so I can't wait for the update
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
the dell. based on my experience with HP i would not recommend them to even my worst enemy. poor build quality cant even begin to describe how terrible HP's QC is. their customer service is even worse. the dell is miles ahead of the HP

Agree with that, my fiancee's HP lappy always overheats and dies because the fans blow straight down and there isn't room underneath

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

You can get a pretty good Asus for that price. Or a basic 13" model MacBook.
Quote by Xiaoxi
You can get a pretty good Asus for that price. Or a basic 13" model MacBook.

damn right you can.

great minds think alike.

I have an HP Pavilion Dvt-1285x?

It was $1100 and has 17' monitor, 6gb of ram, 500gb hard drive, 2.4ghz dual-core.

Legit machine for the price
Quote by Kensai
When I wear it I have to fight off women with a stick. Ifyouknowwhatimean.

Quote by daytripper75
Today, 2:51pm EST: Prodigy179 has officially hit puberty.

They're eating her! And then they're going to eat me!
OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-
mac book =]
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Get a Dell.

My HP did not last very long and gradually got REALLY slow. Also, you can save some money by building your computer online, if you want to take that road.
LARGE TEXT
I think Macbook Pro comes with Snow Leopard now. If not it's 29 bucks. Just installed mine.
If you're gonna be gaming I suggest an HP HDX16 or HP HDX18 with an upgraded gpu (they offer a nVidia GT130M, pretty decent for the price). If you have the cash you can beef up the processor, too. HP's got a big promotion thing going on right now. Almost everything is available with a free upgrade to 4 Gigs of RAM, free upgrade to a blu-ray drive, free upgrade to a larger Hard Drive... They've got some good **** right now.
ive had my HP laptop for 2 1/2 years and have never really had a problem with it. dell's seem to be a little overpriced and their claims of customer service superiority is pretty bogus. in the past, every time i called it id end up talking to some indian dude that i could barely understand. pretty much on par with most other brand's customer service.

really though, id figure out what features you want, how powerful of a processor you need, how much ram you need, etc. then compare between the two and find what fits your needs best.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Sony Vaio.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.